PDA

View Full Version : A small victory against my HA, and a thank you...

artist12
11-02-16, 00:13
I just want to thank everyone here for being so supportive and helping me to realize that I can't be a passive participant in my HA struggle.

It's been a hard year with my HA and earlier this week I fell into the trap of posting several times here trying to get reassurance about my symptoms. I knew deep down it wasn't the best way to approach it but I just couldn't help myself.

I had an appointment yesterday with my doctor and before I got there, I was hell bent on going in to demand more tests, and MRI, a referral to an ENT, even though I had seen my doctor twice in 6 months for the same symptoms (AND a chiropractor) and they had both told me repeatedly that they saw no red flags to investigate further and that my throat/neck pain was from less serious causes.

But, after thinking back to some posts here and about how I'm never happy with the reassurance I get, I decided not to ask for any further tests.

Because what if I received an MRI, but then didn't trust the results?
...What if I thought a blood panel missed something?
...Where can I draw the line?

I've had to sit with the anxiety and uncertainty today that maybe I missed out on the opportunity to receive a medical test which could find something. But I'm also relieved that I finally took a step in the other direction and DIDN'T seek reassurance.

I started medication yesterday and have a follow up appointment in a month, so I am going to really challenge myself to not obsess over any symptoms during that month.

I want to thank all of you for being a part of this forum...I felt so alone in this before I started getting involved here but you all are so inspiring! :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-16, 04:52
Well done! Some good positive steps there. :yesyes::yahoo:

If you can resist those needs for tests & reassurance, you are on your way to beating this as that compulsion is a major feeder to the obsession.

Try to remember this victory if you see side effects of the meds, try to remember that the strength was already within you and can be again!!!

pulisa
11-02-16, 08:51
You've done really well because it's so hard to resist asking for those tests! Your post is an example to those struggling with HA because your attitude and strength are sure ways to get to grips with this complex condition.

Hopefulmi
11-02-16, 09:09
Well done sounds like you are getting control. The meds have helped me a lot and like you I am trying to avoid scanning and reassurance behaviours. I hope you go from strength to strength and look forward to a positive update, all the best xx

pulisa
11-02-16, 09:11
I hope your thread gets the attention and respect it deserves.

KeeKee
11-02-16, 09:13
Well done I know how hard it must be to choose not to get tests etc, when your mind is telling you you need them.
I'm lucky that I'm shy otherwise I probably would have requested all sorts of tests too at one point.

Hopefulmi
11-02-16, 09:14
I hope your thread gets the attention and respect it deserves.

Yes definitely. Too much attention on the wrong attitude the past could of days but this post is a great inspiration to get better and you have made me feel better about my day and a bit stronger Angela. Your attitude has taken a lot of strength

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-16, 09:17
I want to post this in as well because I think this further shows your positive attitude which is a massive struggle with anxiety:

You're right that the symptom list can see scary to someone with HA but I know I can't avoid doing my research just because of it.

Meds are a big challenge for us all but with HA or people who struggle more with physical symptoms, it presents another challenge to even start them let alone get through the side effect window without panic.

However, people understand this is hard and will be here for you should you need them. But again, I think your attitude is great in being able to do your research at a time when you need to be getting away from potential triggers until later on - this shows healthy adaptive behaviour, not avoidance, and based on this it sounds like you will do very well in your recovery as you are already avoiding some pretty hard traps.

Elen
11-02-16, 09:18
What a great post and really well done to you.

Its so great to hear positive stories that show that HA can be kept at bay.

I love what you said re being a passive participant.

LilGsMama
11-02-16, 11:36
Ah! Big hug Angela xxx

Arietis
11-02-16, 11:56
Well done! :hugs:

artist12
11-02-16, 13:08
You all are so incredibly kind, but I just want to reiterate that I wouldn't be feeling more empowered all on my own, were it not for this forum and all the lovely people and wisdom here!

Your kind words are deeply appreciated!

Savvy_Darling
11-02-16, 13:13
Very inspiring post ! It's nice to see a fellow anxiety sufferer trying to get better and changing their ways. It makes me feel like it can be done with the right mind power and dedication. I wish you the very very best Angela. You obviously got all our support!:)

Gary A
11-02-16, 13:15
It honestly is amazing just how much one small step can turn this thing on its head. Well done.

Allochka
12-02-16, 08:12
I don't think this is a small victory? I think it's a big one. First step is the hardest. When I got better previous times, it all started with MRI I cancelled, because decided to fight against reassurance seeking. It went uphill aftet that, and I was much better for 3 years.
Congratulations, you'll do it!

artist12
14-02-16, 20:55
Checking back in with this post because it's been almost a week since I started the meds, and I wasn't anticipating this much increased anxiety as a start up side effect. I know things will level out but it's difficult to have reached this point only to feel like my HA has gotten worse this week!

Pushing onward with a constant mantra that this is my anxiety making things temporarily worse. My anxiety can absolutely cause these symptoms, and on the remote chance that something IS physically wrong, I'll be back at the doctor in three weeks, and in the meantime, there is no point in making it a catastrophe.

I can do this...I can do this... :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
15-02-16, 05:22
How about a mantra about this just being the meds, Angela?

Meds can increase anxiety levels on their own due to their method of action at the beginning but also we can get so many side effects that these can worry you too, especially for someone symptom focussed.

And because it's the meds, you know there is a side effect window and that it will pass.

Many of us understand how hard this period can be. I struggled starting both mine. Just take it one day at a time and keep telling yourself 'any day now it will subside' and one day, it will.

Justanutter
15-02-16, 09:23
Well done for being so positive - it's hard when your head wants to tell you something else.

I too am really struggling with my meds and the anxiety has been awful for a few weeks and I'm thinking of stopping them but trying desperately to push through as I'm 6 weeks in now.

Just want to see some improvement.

How long do you think Terry that it will take? I'm on Sertraline 50mg and no improvement yet :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
15-02-16, 09:35
Well done for being so positive - it's hard when your head wants to tell you something else.

I too am really struggling with my meds and the anxiety has been awful for a few weeks and I'm thinking of stopping them but trying desperately to push through as I'm 6 weeks in now.

Just want to see some improvement.

How long do you think Terry that it will take? I'm on Sertraline 50mg and no improvement yet :weep:

Hi Justanutter,

If you mean the side effects, we tend to go by 4-6 weeks on here but for many it starts easing off before this too.

If you mean the anxiety you already had, well that's a very difficult question to answer. If the med isn't doing anything for you, you could go for an increase and this is possibly what your GP will try. When I went on Citalopram it was about 2-3 months where things started getting easier, and month 3 was more noticeable. It's completely individual though.

artist12
15-02-16, 23:01
How about a mantra about this just being the meds, Angela?

Meds can increase anxiety levels on their own due to their method of action at the beginning but also we can get so many side effects that these can worry you too, especially for someone symptom focussed.

And because it's the meds, you know there is a side effect window and that it will pass.

Many of us understand how hard this period can be. I struggled starting both mine. Just take it one day at a time and keep telling yourself 'any day now it will subside' and one day, it will.

Very true, good point. I definitely on some level know it is the meds, but dang! I wasn't expecting this spike in my anxiety and spike in my irrational HA fears. Today was especially hard for some reason. Thanks for the kind words - it's helpful to know that this acclimation process is somewhat normal, if not fun.

pulisa
16-02-16, 12:13
I think it would be helpful (but obviously impossible!) if the meds came with a leaflet saying you would feel absolutely ghastly and wired up for precisely 2 weeks and after that things will improve..

Everything side effect wise is so vague and individual to the patient's response. It's all so random as to whether you get any,no or the full gamut of side effects which can be absolutely intolerable.

My guess is is that you have got this sussed, Angela. Keep going and keep posting as to how you are getting on!