PDA

View Full Version : Should I trust my gp

emmalj0
11-02-16, 11:24
Iv posted many times about a movable lump I have on my chest under my left breast where my underside sits. It has grown slightly however still moves. Iv seen various GPS iv had ultrasound nothing sinister was seen. I really want to believe I'm OK. Iv had three years now. I'm just still not convinced 100% due to stuff iv read about sarcomas being misdiagnosed as lipoma can grow slow over many years and ultrasound missing things. My gp will not entertain this anymore has said unless changes dramatically I'm fine. How do I get over this fear of sarcoma? Thanks in advance

Gary A
11-02-16, 11:44
I don't think you can flick a switch at this point. After 3 years, repeated doctor visits and ultrasound scanning, all with absolutely nothing sinister found, it's going to take a lot more than words on an Internet forum to get you over this.

I can only reiterate what I've been telling for what must be close to a year now. It's not cancer. Can't be. Tumours don't grow to large sizes rapidly then slow to a crawl without any form of treatment. They increase in size, they spread, and they do so more quickly as time progresses. They don't move either, they are rigid masses of cells.

I can't tell you anymore, sorry.

emmalj0
12-02-16, 06:17
I don't know what to do anymore other than try to put to back of my mind. Iv done cbt it was all exposure therapy telling myself I have cancer an hour a day supposed to make me better it has only made me worse. I'm so scared at min that something has been missed

MyNameIsTerry
12-02-16, 06:34
Ok, if exposure work hasn't helped, how about taking the opposite route and trying something like Mindfulness where you work on learning to accept your thoughts? It worked well for my intrusive thought component of my OCD. It will teach you acceptance but that's only one of it's elements. It takes effort & time though, it's not a quick thing in my experience and I think it unlikely when a length of time has been involved to build the disorder.

Hopefulmi
12-02-16, 09:25
Ok, if exposure work hasn't helped, how about taking the opposite route and trying something like Mindfulness where you work on learning to accept your thoughts? It worked well for my intrusive thought component of my OCD. It will teach you acceptance but that's only one of it's elements. It takes effort & time though, it's not a quick thing in my experience and I think it unlikely when a length of time has been involved to build the disorder.

Freemindfullness.org has lots of free exercises too it's quite good xx

MyNameIsTerry
12-02-16, 09:34
Freemindfullness.org has lots of free exercises too it's quite good xx

Yes, I've seen them. The Mindfulness Project.

When I put together the thread in my signature I did some looking around at different resources and came across them so I've got them near the top on page 1 :yesyes:

I haven't tried them myself, I should do really. But they looked a really good resource.

Beckie4567
12-02-16, 09:40
I feel for u in no how your feeling its hard to believe people I no exactly where your coming from its so hard here if u wana chat anytime

uru
12-02-16, 10:22
Iv posted many times about a movable lump I have on my chest under my left breast where my underside sits. It has grown slightly however still moves. Iv seen various GPS iv had ultrasound nothing sinister was seen. I really want to believe I'm OK. Iv had three years now. I'm just still not convinced 100% due to stuff iv read about sarcomas being misdiagnosed as lipoma can grow slow over many years and ultrasound missing things. My gp will not entertain this anymore has said unless changes dramatically I'm fine. How do I get over this fear of sarcoma? Thanks in advance

Do you think about it only sometimes, or are you constantly worrying about it?

emmalj0
12-02-16, 11:44
It's constantly on my mind from minute I wake up to when I go to bed. This is all from googling and not trusting my gp.

Fishmanpa
12-02-16, 15:13
You had some CBT last summer. How did that go? Are there any techniques you learned that you can employ?

I'm with Gary in that you're beating a dead horse here. You've had numerous threads on the same subject along with medical professionals and scientific tests proving you're physically fine. Reassurance doesn't work. We could say you're fine until we're all blue in the face and it really won't help. Sooner or later you're going to have to get off the bus because those wheels will keep on spinning.

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
12-02-16, 15:32
All the cbt I had was exposure therapy just basically telling myself an hour a day by myself iv got cancer monitoring my anxiety level. If I keep doing this eventually I will get bored but hasn't worked for me at all

Fishmanpa
12-02-16, 15:53
That's sad that it wasn't helpful at all. In fact, if indeed that's all it was, it's downright irresponsible. Perhaps looking into one on one therapy and/or meds can help quell the worry and obsession you have. Obviously, reassurance doesn't work.

I'm a cancer survivor. I know about that beast intimately. It doesn't matter where or what type of cancer, a survivor is a survivor. If I were to tell you, based on what I know and taking into account all the tests and medical professionals you've seen that you don't have cancer... That all you have is a benign lipoma or cyst would that truly stop your worry? If a room full of survivors and doctors were to tell you the same thing, would that truly stop your worry? I really don't think so. "You" are the only one that can do that. So, instead of chasing a diagnosis that will never come, why not take charge and treat the illness you do have?

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
12-02-16, 16:13
Thank you fishmanpa. I have been on mens last three weeks venoflaxine. I'm due to see my gp in a bit as I'm only on 37.5mg at the moment are upping my dose. I know I need to stop the reassurance as it doesn't help me only I can do this. My life has been a misery last three years. Iv got two beautiful children and all they see is a miserable mum