PDA

View Full Version : Impossible to keep head completely 100% still - Parkinsons?

rahul718
11-02-16, 14:45
Hi everyone

Now that the MS scare is done with (Clean office exam and negative MRI), my old Parksinson's fear popped back up.

I could only talk to my neurologist about the MS at the time and didn't have a chance to explain to him my fear of Parkinson's.

I'm a 30 year old male by the way and I weight lift/power lift. I haven't had any of the hallmark Parkinson's signs and I know how rare it is to get PD before 40 years old, but I noticed at my desk at work that I cannot keep my head completely 100% still even when I try to. This is with no head or neck support also as the back of my chair only reaches my upper back. I keep thinking about the shakiness that Parksinson's results in. I don't have a constant tremor in my head but I recorded myself at my desk and occasionally my head will sway a millimeter to the right or left. It's never noticeable unless you specifically look for it.

I haven't had loss of balance or any of the typical PD symptoms. Just wondering if it's normal for a human to NOT be able to keep their head completely 100% still without any kind of support. And I really mean completely still, the same way when you put a book on a table and it doesn't move - that's the stillness I'm referring to. Can any of you do that?

Also, during my in office exam, would my neurologist have caught PD even though he was testing for MS? I never had the hallmark MS symptoms, just a fear of it since my brother has it. He checked my balance, strength, reflexes, etc.

Thanks!

countrygirl
11-02-16, 15:12
I would say that the cause is your weight lifting and the effect on your neck muscles. I have severe damage to my neck on the left side and my left hand always tremors if I am asked to hold it out or if I rest my elbow on something.

I know quite a few people admittedly usually older than you who have the shaky head and its due to essential tremor and not parkinsons.

There is no one definitive test for parkinsons so no one can give you a 100% you do not have it which is probably why you are worried about it. The fact you have had a clear mri is very good as this rules out a huge number of other possible causes.

Have you been doing alot more weight work with your arms as this could be the cause and nothing else.

And everyones head tremors slightly because we are never totally still. The time to take notice is if someone else comments on it.

Fishmanpa
11-02-16, 15:12
Just wondering if it's normal for a human to NOT be able to keep their head completely 100% still without any kind of support. And I really mean completely still, the same way when you put a book on a table and it doesn't move - that's the stillness I'm referring to. Can any of you do that?

The simple answer is "No". Just the fact that we're living beings with blood coursing through our veins and arteries make that impossible. Breathing makes our body move etc. So no.... you've been cleared by medical professionals and admit to no symptoms so.....

Positive thoughts

rahul718
11-02-16, 15:23
And everyones head tremors slightly because we are never totally still. The time to take notice is if someone else comments on it.

The simple answer is "No". Just the fact that we're living beings with blood coursing through our veins and arteries make that impossible. Breathing makes our body move etc. So no.... you've been cleared by medical professionals and admit to no symptoms so.....

Positive thoughts

Just the answers I was looking for. When I recorded myself for 30 seconds with my phone and tried to keep my head absolutely 100% still, there is always a very very very slight sway in either direction. Never a tremor. But I guess this is normal. I assume that symptoms would be more severe if I had PD?

Fishmanpa
11-02-16, 15:28
I assume that symptoms would be more severe if I had PD?

That's just asking for more reassurance in typical HA fashion. You know the answer to that question and don't need anyone to answer ;)

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
11-02-16, 15:39
I'm quite sure this is normal and your pulse. I may be wrong but I can't keep my head super still as it seems to move slightly with my pulse.

rahul718
11-02-16, 17:02
Thanks for the feedback!

Today, after about a year, I did the treadmill for cardio as opposed to elliptical that I usually end my workouts with. I wanted to test my balance, so I figured treadmill would be good. I was able to run for 5 minutes straight without slowing down. I know 5 min is probably not a lot, but for someone who hasn't run in a long time, I think it's ok. Anyway, if I had PD, even in the earliest stages, would I be able to run?

Fishmanpa
11-02-16, 17:13
Thanks for the feedback!

Today, after about a year, I did the treadmill for cardio as opposed to elliptical that I usually end my workouts with. I wanted to test my balance, so I figured treadmill would be good. I was able to run for 5 minutes straight without slowing down. I know 5 min is probably not a lot, but for someone who hasn't run in a long time, I think it's ok. Anyway, if I had PD, even in the earliest stages, would I be able to run?

What would you tell me if I posted that question?

Positive thoughts

rahul718
11-02-16, 19:41
What would you tell me if I posted that question?

Positive thoughts

The way my HA mind works, "why couldn't you do it for 10 min? Something must be wrong with you and you should get checked out".

Really just want an honest answer here

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Anyone else?

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Anyone else?

half-empty
11-02-16, 20:46
I work in a care home and have seen many people with parkinsons, it usually effect your hands first, then it messes up with your legs especially walking peoples feet tend to get stuck like they are stood on glue and legs give it loads to try and get going again, ive never seen any one with parkinsons have a shaky head ( that ive noticed ) im sure we all cant hold ourselves perfectly still..now you got me trying too haha! speech is another thing that is highly effected through parkinsons but that's usually much later stages. I wouldn't worry unless your hand was shaking a couple of cm left and right involuntarily.

Fishmanpa
12-02-16, 00:58
The way my HA mind works, "why couldn't you do it for 10 min? Something must be wrong with you and you should get checked out".

Really just want an honest answer here

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Anyone else?

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Anyone else?

Reassurance isn't working and it isn't the path to take. Treating your anxiety is. You've had many tell you the same thing. The choice is yours.

Positive thoughts