PDA

View Full Version : D dimer with a cold/allergies

Njoy704
11-02-16, 18:52
Ugh. I took a d dimer test today and I think I have a cold or allergies. Nowe I'm worried that it'll give me a false positive and will have to undergo unnecessary scans... that is my rant for today. I read that infections and inflammation in the body can elevate it. Uuuugh. I get results tomorrow.... been having shortness of breath on and off for 3 weeks now. And some rib cage pain on and off for 4 days now. Also groin and upper thigh pain... no swelling or redness. But having it checked just in case.... thus the d dimer.

Mi
11-02-16, 19:07
I had a d dimer test taken on Tuesday. I have a nasty cold and was worried this would effect the results giving a false positive, but I got my results back today and it was a negative. I think they said 130 or 150 something. Hopefully yours won't give a false positive x

Njoy704
11-02-16, 19:19
I had a d dimer test taken on Tuesday. I have a nasty cold and was worried this would effect the results giving a false positive, but I got my results back today and it was a negative. I think they said 130 or 150 something. Hopefully yours won't give a false positive x

Thanks for that ! Hope mine will be negative as well. I took a d dimer back in August and it was below .20 ... cut off was .50... so I was way under. Now with HA ... I know my anxiety will act up even if it's a negative and the result is above that .20 from August lol. What a way to live life, hunh? Lol. Ugh. Some days I can't even believe how insane I've gotten ...

Mi
11-02-16, 19:26
Haha I know how you feel. I look back at some things and think - wow I was nuts but then I move on to something else just as crazy haha. Sucks that our minds can do this to us! Let's hope for a reading under .20 then and hopefully that'll help put your mind at ease for a bit x

Njoy704
11-02-16, 19:46
Haha I know how you feel. I look back at some things and think - wow I was nuts but then I move on to something else just as crazy haha. Sucks that our minds can do this to us! Let's hope for a reading under .20 then and hopefully that'll help put your mind at ease for a bit x

Can I ask, why you had a d dimer done?

Mi
11-02-16, 19:59
I had a heavy bleed 6 days after giving birth. I then had chest pains (now known to be anxiety) so they did a d dimer which came back positive. Was put on blood thinners until having my vq scan which came back negative. Since then I've had chest pains (now gone) and shortness of breath (getting better) but to ease my mind I wanted another d dimer test to make sure the symptoms were anxiety. I'm now panicking that I've been over radiated as within 3-4 weeks I had 5 chest X-rays and a vq scan x

Njoy704
11-02-16, 20:24
I had a heavy bleed 6 days after giving birth. I then had chest pains (now known to be anxiety) so they did a d dimer which came back positive. Was put on blood thinners until having my vq scan which came back negative. Since then I've had chest pains (now gone) and shortness of breath (getting better) but to ease my mind I wanted another d dimer test to make sure the symptoms were anxiety. I'm now panicking that I've been over radiated as within 3-4 weeks I had 5 chest X-rays and a vq scan x

I believe the chest x rays only have .10 msv which is very minimal. And the chest ct is 7 msv which is low. Compared to a abdomen and pelvic ct with and without contrast, it's 20 msv! So your does was very low in comparison. Radiation is cumulative over a lifetime, and I was told anything below 50msv in a lifetime is nothing to worry about. Cancer patients recieve weekly radiation therapy at much higher doses... so fear not ♡

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

I had a similar fear because I was given a ct without contrast in my abdomen and pelvic and I was freaking out lol. Apparently my radiation dose was only 5.6msv, because the doctor ordered a limited study. So that eased my mind. I also have a cpusin who is a radiation therapist and he laughed at me. Said if I only knew the amount of radiation people undergo for cancer radiation therapy...

I then also joined this website where I can ask radiology technicians questions lol... they're the ones who calculated the 5.6msv for me lol. Because my ct report had all these numbers on radiation exposure but didn't tell me the msv amount.

Mi
13-02-16, 23:50
Thanks for helping put my mind at ease. Did you get your d dimer results? I've got my 6 week post natal check Monday so think I'll ask them my exact radiation dose then so I know what I was given x

Mi
16-02-16, 10:51
How were your results? x

Njon704
08-03-16, 23:05
How were your results? x

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. It was less than .20 again :) That was about a month ago... since then I've started having some mild chest pain. Which has me thinking pulmonary embolism of course... but I HAVE to keep telling myself that the d dimer was only a month ago and the likelihood of a PE happening in a month is so low. Plus I had a leg scan for dvt that was clear ... so I HAVE to calm down ... easier said than done lol

ItsNick
08-03-16, 23:35
This HA is so ridiculous!!

Mi
19-03-16, 09:03
Unfortunately negative d diners and leg ultrasound didn't help me with my HA so I had a ct scan with contrast - now new anxiety cue lung cancer.
I can't believe I had the scan. I'm so angry with myself! And scared all over again x

tiredofthis14
19-03-16, 12:44
i know exactly how u feel hun i get crazy scared about clots over past four yrs iv had leg scans ct scan vq scan d dimers nothing reasures me i had a d dimer yesterday was 119 cut off 230 and im still worried today! aniexty sucks!

Mi
19-03-16, 12:48
It's so good to hear someone else has had ct scan and vq scan too. Did you have the full vq scan where you breathed in the gas too or just the perfusion part? Have you had any X-rays? My last d dimer was just 65 yet I worried that I had a clot that wasn't being picked up, hence why I went for the ctpa x