PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and tinnitus?

LilGsMama
11-02-16, 21:11
I've been having ear/nose problems for a couple of months. Am still trying to pinpoint a cause, and my ENT appointment last week was a bit of a let-down, bar sorting me out with a little hearing aid.

Went to get it fitted today.. tiny little silver thing which has been tuned to help with the slight loss of high frequencies in my left ear. I was originally diagnosed in 2007 but it hasn't bothered me until I started with tinnitus 2 months ago.

As promised, the hearing aid has masked the tinnitus in the left.. but when I wear it, I hear the T in my other, normal, non-tinnitus right ear!! When I take the hearing aid out, the tinnitus goes BACK to my left ear and I hear nothing in the right!!

I keep reading that tinnitus may be anxiety related.. I wonder if this is the case?

Confused.com :unsure::unsure:

Annie0904
11-02-16, 21:56
Yes it can be anxiety related (so my doctor tells me) Mine is always worse when I am more anxious.

Arietis
11-02-16, 21:56
Since my recent HA flare up I have had Tinnitus, it wasnt there beforehand so I am trying to reassure myself that its just from the panic :)

rockbush
12-02-16, 00:26
I have it also. worse when my anxiety is bad. but never goes away. doesnt bother when I am feeling good

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 09:16
Wow! Has anyone had any kind of hearing loss diagnosis! X

Annie0904
12-02-16, 11:41
I saw an audiologist recently and was told I have slight hearing loss. I was referred to a tinnitus management clinic and was told that I could have a hearing aid that would help with the tinnitus.

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 14:44
I saw an audiologist recently and was told I have slight hearing loss. I was referred to a tinnitus management clinic and was told that I could have a hearing aid that would help with the tinnitus.

Have you tried it yet? I can't understand how my T transfers to my good ear when my hearing aid is in the one with the loss/tinnitus :unsure: xxxx

Lifelonganxiety!
12-02-16, 16:50
Most likely your brain is so used to "hearing" stronger tinnitus signals from your left ear that they drowned out the input from your right. You probably always had mild tinnitus on your right side, but ignored it because the left ear signal was so much stronger.

Once the tinnitus on your left was masked, the signal from your right is now the only signal it receives so your brain can now hear it.

If it's a weaker signal, and bearable, then you can try using attenuation techniques to essentially ignore it. That's what I did with my tinnitus. If I concentrate on it (like when reading your post!) then I can hear it, but once I do something else it goes away.

Annie0904
12-02-16, 17:40
[QUOTE=Annie0904;1521977]I saw an audiologist recently and was told I have slight hearing loss. I was referred to a tinnitus management clinic and was told that I could have a hearing aid that would help with the tinnitus.[/QUOTE

Have you tried it yet? I can't understand how my T transfers to my good ear when my hearing aid is in the one with the loss/tinnitus :unsure: xxxx

I didn't get one :) I hardly notice the tinnitus now until I get anxious.

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 20:12
Most likely your brain is so used to "hearing" stronger tinnitus signals from your left ear that they drowned out the input from your right. You probably always had mild tinnitus on your right side, but ignored it because the left ear signal was so much stronger.

Once the tinnitus on your left was masked, the signal from your right is now the only signal it receives so your brain can now hear it.

If it's a weaker signal, and bearable, then you can try using attenuation techniques to essentially ignore it. That's what I did with my tinnitus. If I concentrate on it (like when reading your post!) then I can hear it, but once I do something else it goes away.

I'm baffled, LLA! The loudness from the left goes into the right when I wear my aid. Only got it yesterday so am prob jumping the gun. I've only had the T for 2 months.. I do have days where I hardly notice it, unless it spikes or I listen for it. I generally cope with it as I know that there are far worse things to have.. just completely confused! xxxx

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

I didn't get one :) I hardly notice the tinnitus now until I get anxious.

How long have you had T for, Annie0904? x

Annie0904
12-02-16, 20:40
About 4 years...actually it started about the same as my anxiety got really bad. I fractured my foot which triggered anxiety and then I started with ear problems, tinnitus and earache. I used to only have the sound on the TV at 11 and had to put it up to 18!

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 21:16
About 4 years...actually it started about the same as my anxiety got really bad. I fractured my foot which triggered anxiety and then I started with ear problems, tinnitus and earache. I used to only have the sound on the TV at 11 and had to put it up to 18!

I've been the opposite since I got my hearing aid yesterday.. tinnitus aside, I'm not used to such sharp hearing and I'm going about shushing and turning things down! Will be OK once I get used to it xx

Annie0904
12-02-16, 21:25
I may end up getting a hearing aid.

feelthelove
12-02-16, 21:26
I've been having ear/nose problems for a couple of months. Am still trying to pinpoint a cause, and my ENT appointment last week was a bit of a let-down, bar sorting me out with a little hearing aid.

Went to get it fitted today.. tiny little silver thing which has been tuned to help with the slight loss of high frequencies in my left ear. I was originally diagnosed in 2007 but it hasn't bothered me until I started with tinnitus 2 months ago.

As promised, the hearing aid has masked the tinnitus in the left.. but when I wear it, I hear the T in my other, normal, non-tinnitus right ear!! When I take the hearing aid out, the tinnitus goes BACK to my left ear and I hear nothing in the right!!

I keep reading that tinnitus may be anxiety related.. I wonder if this is the case?

Confused.com :unsure::unsure:

You're lucky to have something like an hearing aid to block out the sounds i have had tinnitus for 20 years and all i ever get told is nothing can be done .
It is related to anxiety .

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 21:32
You're lucky to have something like an hearing aid to block out the sounds i have had tinnitus for 20 years and all i ever get told is nothing can be done .
It is related to anxiety .

I was surprised that I was offered one, I've been on the Tinnitus Talk forums and read what people have been told there, I expected to be told the same thing x

Annie0904
12-02-16, 21:41
The audiologist at the hospital offered me one straight away but I thought I would try to manage without first. I just have to ask if I change my mind. It must be different in different areas.

LilGsMama
12-02-16, 22:14
The audiologist at the hospital offered me one straight away but I thought I would try to manage without first. I just have to ask if I change my mind. It must be different in different areas.

My father-in-law has used hearing aids for a good few years and told me that they help with his tinnitus no end. Still trying to get used to my one but is worth a try xx

Annie0904
12-02-16, 22:26
Yes I may have to do it :)