PDA

View Full Version : New to no more panic/ horrible panic attacks

Kerry31
11-02-16, 23:21
Hello everyone! I'm new here
Being having panic attacks since last August, it's really bringing me down!
On beta blockers! Doing cbt I am better than what I was.
The thing that gets me is I feel like I wake up in the morning waiting for the aniexty to start!
Thanks for reading anymore panic attack sufferers wanna chat 😟 X

Arietis
11-02-16, 23:53
Hey Kerry welcome :) x

faithfulone
12-02-16, 00:16
Hey Kerry, same here, new, but found lots of info here and a lot of people that provide some good advice. CBT and mindfulness are helping and I'm also reading one of Claire Weekes' books that was suggested on this site. Panic attacks are somewhat better, but anxiety is still high. I know what you mean about waking up and waiting on the anxiety, never know when it's going to come, but usually when I'm getting ready to go somewhere. Really frustrating, but just have to push through it.

winter-blues
12-02-16, 01:12
It's very common for most people to have their worst Anxiety in the mornings. This has always been the case for me as well. So you are not alone. This has to do with certain chemicals in the brain (or that's what I my doctor told me).

Kerry31
12-02-16, 07:17
Hey thanks so much for answering back! I'm Reading DARE a
Book about just accepting the aniexty and panic attacks So your not scared anymore,
Got a funeral next week and just so worried I'm gonna have a big attack.
Anyway hope you all have a good day X

Seffie
12-02-16, 10:43
Hi Kerry welcome to the site! Unfortunately lots of us here who can relate and know exactly what you're going through - plenty of experienced panic attack veterans here lol! My advice would be to keep working hard on it, get all the support that you can and know that you can get better. Although I gave suffered anxiety on and off for around 25 years I have had longer periods of being fine and it not being an issue. However, certain things - life events, menopause or other hormonal stuff can trigger it again in susceptible people so you may need to make some long term lifestyle changes to stay on track. It can be a lonely experience so always feel free to come here for advice and support, in the 9 years that I've been a member I have always had fantastic support on here and when you feel better it's great to be able to help others too.
Take care
Seffie x

Kerry31
12-02-16, 10:48
Thank you so much for replying,:) X

winter-blues
12-02-16, 14:38
Hey Kerry,

What do you think of the DARE book. I've found that with so many books on the market its hard to choose where to start.

Kerry31
12-02-16, 16:38
I'm not that convinced about it to be honest, all it's really does is to except the panic and run towards it, embrace the feelings so you won't be scared of them when they come! I'm sure it works for some people I just find the sensations so overbearing I can't get comfortable with them, I'm also reading mindfulness meditation too, I think both books focus on the same thing,i know there is so many books out there, it's hard to choose one, hoping to find one that will work still looking lol X

Seffie
12-02-16, 20:31
Hi Kerry (again! Nothing on the tv tonight lol) I've been looking at the DARE book, the reviews on Amazon are very positive but not sure I want to buy another book that isn't going to deliver. It sounds very much like Claire Weekes books - accepting the symptoms, going towards them, losing your fear of the symptoms etc so puts me off when he says it's a totally unique method etc.
Would be interested if anyone else has tried this though.
I am currently using the Panic Attacks workbook by David Carbonell. He has a website under the name of the anxiety coach and I think he has some really good advice. After looking at his website I bought the book and have to say that he really does get it. I am at the stage where I need to work with a therapist in order to move forward but I'm confident his method will work, it's an updated version of Claire Weekes but he kind of says this on his website.
Winter blues - have a look at anxietycoach.com which will help you decide if his advice / method would suit you.
Take care x

faithfulone
12-02-16, 23:56
I'm reading Claire Weekes Hope and help for your nerves and it has helped some. Years ago I ordered an anxiety program (came with books and cds) and it really helped being at that time I had no clue about panic attacks and was really frightened something worse was going on. Reading the Claire Weekes' book is helping me remember some of the important points from the previous program. You do really have to embrace those feelings because any attempt to fight them off just causes anxiety to increase. I make up my own little mantra for floating or embracing those feelings. It does slowly get better with each incident if you don't get afraid and just let them come. I know this is easier said then done, but I noticed some things that have helped me in CBT is practicing bringing some of those feelings up and exaggerating them. Makes you less afraid when they approach. The online CBT course recommended on this site has probably been the most helpful for me. Might be better to attempt that than buying another book.

Also, with meditation or mindfulness I enjoy the guided audio versions better. I've been using one of the mindfulness apps on my phone and I am usually asleep before it's over so not sure how much it's helping:unsure:, but it is definitely relaxing.