PDA

View Full Version : Going through a particularly tough time

wantpeace
13-02-16, 15:53
I suffer from GAD and Depression (diagnosed '06) and my psychiatrist thinks I'm on the bipolar spectrum (diagnosed '12).

I've suffered a particularly bad bout of obsessive type anxiety since mid November. I spent time in a private hospital in December. I left the hospital no better, but dependant on benzodiazapine's.

I take 350mg Quetiapine a day split over 4 doses and 12.5mg diazepam split over 3 doses.

I was left deeply depressed in mornings but always improved early afternoon. Something else had to be done. That something was start escitalapram.

I've been on Escitalapram 5mg for 13 days now and I'm getting extremely awful side effects of "severe" restlessness from about 9am through to about 4pm every day. It is so uncomfortable, I can't bear it and have strong and overwhelming "bad" thoughts and think there is no way I am going to get though the day. It's very scary, how convincing the thoughts are at the time. I talk to people about them though. They keep reminding me I'm going to get through them.

My psychiatrist says these bad side effects will pass and there's nothing she can do to help right now. She says that I should just stick it out because the distressing symptoms will disapate, and be replaced by a reduction in depression and anxiety, maybe in another week or so.

Can anyone provide any opinion, experience or knowledge on this? I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. Peace and love, Paul

venusbluejeans
13-02-16, 15:58
Hiya wantpeace and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

mark84
13-02-16, 18:13
Hi Paul,
if the bad effects continue then see your doctor, but the chances are they will dissipate over the next 2 weeks as expected. I'm on citalopram (the old version slightly less effective version of escitalapram I believe), it took me a couple of weeks to adjust, so i'm confident the same will apply to you :)
Best of luck for the future.
Mark

wantpeace
13-02-16, 22:41
Thx for your feedback Mark. I might post a similar question in the depression forum.