PDA

View Full Version : head pain when coughing

els83
15-02-16, 09:54
Hi,

I'm really struggling at the moment. I notice that when I cough (it has to be a bit of a hard cough), my head throbs for about 30 seconds during/after the cough. The pain can sometimes be at the back of my head (both sides) or around my temples. It's very painful and scary. I also get in when laughing hard, but never when bending down (as I've heard some people do). Of course I've googled it and now I'm really scared.

I have no other symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any reassurance would be much appreciated.

I haven't plucked up the courage to go to the Dr's yet :(

androidz
15-02-16, 10:14
First things first, Google isn't a doctor and the results you get from a search are just based on a keyword hits algorithm, not on what is the most likely thing to explain a problem or situation.

Now... do you sit in front of a PC for a long time every day? Do you do excercise? If you press slightly on the back of your skull, is it sore? How old are you?

The most likely reason for your problem is muscular. It's very typical that muscular issues in your neck manifest in physical symptoms in your head like what you describe.

That said though, go to a doctor and get an explanation from them, don't worry it'll be nothing for sure :)

els83
15-02-16, 12:42
Thank you for replying Androidz.

I do sit at a PC, all day, 5 days a week. I'm a 33 year old female and in good shape (I do exercise).

I really hope it is muscular, but when I'm experiencing the pain, it really doesn't feel like it.

I will see my GP, but I'm very scared of what she might say.

Google can be very scary :(

shirlp
15-02-16, 21:49
Try not too Google hun. Worst thing u can do.. I'm too scared to actually use it.. Go visit our Dr, hopefully put us mind at ease xx