PDA

View Full Version : CBT worked for me - panic is a thing of the past

LLADDIS
28-02-07, 16:39
Just a quick hello to all the perople who have helped me along the way and to give a
BIG THANK YOU
to everyone here who has given me hope and encouragement along the way
I have just completed 10 sessioons of CBT which has worked very well for me
DONT WORRY I will not forget this website and will keep popping in from time to time to give others the
"Help with Kindness which I have received here"
CBT is not an easy route and I can see why it would not suit every sufferer There is a terrific amount of work involved and without blowing my own trumpet there is a need for inherant bravery, trust and courage. For it to be effective I think it is also important for the right therapist to be matched with the right sufferer .I was lucky first time in this respect as I got on like a house on fire with my therapist who knew exactly the right way to deal with me
The Crux of my MESSAGE IS
"STICK AT IT EVEN IF AT FIRST IT SEEMS TOO HARD AND POINTLESS"
I am now able to say that I dont have panic attacks and that I have won that battle after about 15 years or so as a silent sufferer who previously avoided any situation which would be the slightest bit likely to make me panic
I am still working hard at some off the other symptoms of anxiety which have plagued me for years but by applying the CBT principles to them and adapting things to fit I am progressing with those too
If I can be of help or encouragement to anyone I will be .
I am even considering becomming a therapist if I can scrape the money together to do the Course at UNI
REGARDS AND THANKS and LOVE TO EVERYONE x
JOHN x

Piglet
28-02-07, 16:42
Aw that's smashing John!!

Piglet x

Wenjoy
28-02-07, 20:27
Hi John
I had CBT for a few weeks and although I could identify the "hot thought" as being me getting hot and feeling hot and too far from exits = I worked through the manual from the therapist but still get anxious in theatre,cinema, dept stores etc if I get hot and feel trapped in a queue - any tips? Wenjoy?

kimmy
28-02-07, 22:44
Congratulations John!!!! Well done buddy

LLADDIS
28-02-07, 23:30
Wenjoy
It took me a good number of visits and a lot of time afterwards analysing each visit to get them rationalised . I did 8 visits for instance to MEDOWHALL shopping centre and each time I was able to measure a reduction in my anxiety levels when I sat later and analysed my anxiety levels
I also spent a fortnight doing hyperventilation provacation each day where I jogged on the spot whilst breathing wrongly (very hard to do ) I then completed a BECKS ANXIETY INVENTORY about 5 mins after the exercise and noted how my self scoring reduced .. I eventualy came to the conclusion that the symptoms were pure biology and that they were caused by Adrenalin which is something that there is no need to be frightened of.
Whilst carrying out the visits I also found that I was able to reduce my panic symptoms using a breathing technique involving lengthening my intake and exhilation of breathe .This apprently changes the oxygen balance which helps us cope with adrenaline and mostly creates a chance to break the cycle of panic
I found that devising my own experiments and methods of analysing the results was of immense value to me .This then in turn allowed me to formulate the next step of my treatment It gave ME control of my TREATMENT rather than it being dictated to me
One thing about CBT is that it is not a quick fix and on the way I had a few relapses . My therapist was able to keep me on track and learn me to be proud of the advances which I had made. I made a point of giving myself some time out each Moday and Friday just to record my achievements and record the progress i had made
I hope this helps you on the road .I think that I will always be vulnerable to some panic symptoms but I am certain that I now have the tools to deal with anxiety symptoms early and not as previous allow them to grow .

I also have a much better understanding of why I avoided certain situations and of how it is important not to fall into the traps it can place
Keep at it and one thought from my therapist
" It takes a few years for most anxiety disorders to develop so dont expect them to go away in a few days " - Very wise words for sufferers

Keep going its like life ...we all do it at a seperate pace
JOHN x

nomorepanic
01-03-07, 14:45
John

Wow well done on all your efforts. I will add your thread to the list I keep of people that have great successes.

So pleased to hear this news.

Wenjoy
01-03-07, 15:13
Thankyou JOhn foryour reply - I will try to follow what you did - I guess I am still avoiding situations as I am scared of the feeling of hyperventilation!Thankyou and good luck inthe future. Wenjoy x

Karen
01-03-07, 16:03
Thank you John for sharing your experiences and I am so glad that you are doing so well.

I am in the early days of starting CBT myself and I am already finding it helpful.

Karen

Nibbles
01-03-07, 16:41
Well done John! :yahoo: When you did your CBT how long were the periods between sessions? I've just started and find with my psychologist I usually have to wait 2-3 weeks between sessions. Thanks to CBT I've been returning to work this week for the odd hour here and there. When I got my latest bout of anxiety I was devasted because it returned worse than ever. But CBT has made me realise that what is important is the NOW and it is all about reassessing your goals. I've found taking small steps so useful because you're never facing overwhelming anxiety but are still achieving things. Like you though I've had setbacks and it certainly aint an easy ride.

Take care,

LLADDIS
01-03-07, 19:57
Karen - So good to hear that you are starting the treatment stick at it and give it a good try .Try and let us know how you get on with it .
If at times you feel like its going nowhere still push on with things
Mike - My sessions were initialy weekly but after a few we moved them to 2 weekly (variable) for a while and now after 10 sessions I next see my therapist in a months time having jointly completed a plan to prevent further attacks
I am missing my sessions with Sam but luckily she has helped me develop the skills to address my other forms of anxiety

PS I have made so much progress that I have just got through an in depth interview at work and now supervise 24 staff and maanage 9 police beat teams
This would have been impossible 6 months ago when i was probably at my worst low state