PDA

View Full Version : Sleep is just impossible!!

root
15-02-16, 23:32
Hi all,

I have been suffering from depression and anxiety since almost 2,5 years. I have been taking mirtazapin and prozac with little to no improvement. Lately, my GP recommended to switch to Cymbalta. I have been taking 60 mg at night since 12 days with no improvement so far.

My main problem since the anxiety started is sleeping at night. It is almost impossible to sleep without aid. Once I close my eyes and try to relax, an intense feeling of fear and anxiety starts crawling which makes me very jittery and prevents me from sleeping. This happens EVERY night for the last 2,5 years. Mirtazapine was very successful in granting me a very good sleep but my GP thinks I should stop taking it and that what I did. He prescribed me Zopiclone as a temporary solution (10 tablets) until Cymbalta kicks in. The problem is without Z I cant sleep at all and I have only one tablet left!

I would like to ask is this problem a common problem among anxiety sufferers? Will I be able to sleep better if Cymbalta works for me? I am terrified that I wont be able to sleep naturally for the rest of my life!

your advice please.

faithfulone
16-02-16, 00:16
I'm not familiar with Cymbalta, but you might want to look at the medication forum might be similar topic there regarding cymbalta. With anxiety I definitely have a hard time sleeping. Whats helped me recently is a relaxation / mindfulness app on my phone that I listen to once I lay in bed. I'm usually asleep before the end of the session and wake up during the night with my earphones still in my ears.

rcs
17-02-16, 01:57
I have struggled with insomnia especially when my anxiety worsens and I cannot slow down my thoughts when in bed or I wake up after 2 hours sleep dreading feeling tired next day.

When I started taking Citalopram ironically my insomnia became worse and it can be a side effect when starting certain anti-depressants as can increased anxiety, it can take 2-3 weeks for the side effects to wear off and for sleep patterns to return to normal but it is not a nice process when you are feeling low but hopefully your insomnia will pass soon.

I have used Zopiclone as well for sleeping which is effective and I understand the feelings of anxiety when you get to the last tablet as you dread sleepless nights coming back, I used to take them every 2nd night when near the end of the pack and then take 1/2 a tablet to come off them gradually.

anAnxiousGirl
17-02-16, 02:12
I don't have any experience with medication, but I have dealt with insomnia on and off for most of my life. One thing that has helped me immensely is lavender oil. I mix it with water and spritz my pillow with it right before bed and I almost always fall asleep within a few minutes of laying down. Although there are still nights where I struggle, they are few and far between. (I wouldn't suggest it as an alternative to whatever your GP suggests though.)

root
17-02-16, 17:58
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your tips and advice.

Last 2 days were better regarding depression, especially yesterday. I felt much better, more positive and relaxed. I hope those are signs that the medication is starting to kick in? But things are still the same regarding this panic at night. Last night was awful. I tried to sleep without Zopiclone, but I couldn't. As usual, when I close my eyes and about to drift to sleep, I panic and wake up terrified, with bouncing heart, sweating and shortness of breath. It is a terrible feeling! After that, I tried several times but with the same results. So I decided to take the last tablet of Zopiclone and slept from 2:00 Am till 6:00 Am then went to work at 8:00. By the way, I installed an app for relaxation but didn't help. Maybe I'll try the oil tip one day.

Today will be my first day without any sleeping aid. But this time, I am planning to follow a new strategy. I am not going to try to sleep, but instead I will stay awake till I "faint" from exhaustion. Turing and tossing will make the things worse and this nightly panic will make it impossible to sleep. If I could get 2-3 hours of sleep, that would be nice as a start. Anyway, even with Zopiclone I used to sleep not more than 4-5 hours a night. If I could not sleep then be it. I'll experience my fear of not being able to sleep which is, I believe, the main reason of me not being able to sleep!! funny really.

I hope for the good and let see what will happen tonight.

Crystalhiggs
19-02-16, 18:34
Hey Root, how did you get on without Zopiclone? Hope you're doing ok!

Mozie
19-02-16, 20:04
I'm not familiar with Cymbalta, but you might want to look at the medication forum might be similar topic there regarding cymbalta. With anxiety I definitely have a hard time sleeping. Whats helped me recently is a relaxation / mindfulness app on my phone that I listen to once I lay in bed. I'm usually asleep before the end of the session and wake up during the night with my earphones still in my ears.

Have to agree with the above some nights I can't sleep or I nod off for a few mins then wide awake till silly o'clock listening to some relaxation music on YouTube can help there's loads in there some good some bad it's finding something you enjoy listening to ie some have quite loud high pitched noises which I dont like so try a few to see if there for you, if your like me I can't shut off thinking about anything these do help to relax you if you can relax you have a good chance of at least getting some sleep

Good luck and please try it..

emily67
19-02-16, 21:43
sorry... i can't help you with this one.

imsomnia should be my middle name- struggled with it for so long

root
22-02-16, 17:24
Hi All,

Thank you very much for your comments and caring.

The first night without Zopiclone was terrible. I was so sleepy but couldn't sleep due to anxiety. But in the end, I managed to sleep 3-4 hours! which I considered a victory! The second night was amazing, I could sleep within 15 minutes and I slept for 8 continues hours! I felt on Friday morning that I am really on the right path of recovery.

Then the night came and went to another city to meet a few friends of mine. I was planning not to drink at all but I could not resist and I drank too much the whole weekend. We stayed awake till 7 am of Sunday morning! I slept only 4 hours and I woke up shaking from anxiety. It was SO strong. I went back home and, of course, I could not sleep, not even a single minute last night. I went to work and I was barely able to function.

Now I am sitting here hopeless and full of anger. I am angry with myself and with the world. I am thinking how stupid I was to drink that much and ruin my chance of recovery. I am just SO STUPID. I feel like I wanna cry out and scream. I feel so much lonely and desperate and I just wanna vanish from the face of the earth. 48 hours with only 4 hours of sleep, oh god!!

Anyway, I will try again tonight to sleep. I don't know if I should follow the same strategy or just try to listen to relaxing music and sleep. The problem is relaxing music doesn't work for me, even though I have read about too many people getting relaxed because of it.

I don't know, lets see what will happen tonight.

Thanks again all!

Mozie
22-02-16, 17:40
Hiya root

I e been listening to relaxation music and hypnosis tracks on YouTube some nights it's seems OK I relax and nod off last night didn't seem to work very well for me it took me ages to get to sleep I know it was getting light again before I finally got to sleep, I just can't shut off thinking about anything not so much bad things, things I've seen on telly or even things I hear when listening to someone talking on the relaxation music

Sometimes silly things pop in your head (not bad) and I'm like what made me think about that like counting sheep lol the old one, I wonder were did all these sheep come from, soon get bored of counting them though lol

Anyway good luck and hope you find something that does help