PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive to electrical sounds

TomsThoughts
16-02-16, 08:42
Hi guys lately I've noticed I'm getting spontaneous high pitched sounds in my ear lasting a few seconds and I have found the cause.

Does anybody get really sensitive to electrical noises? I work away alot and stay in old buildings sometimes and they seem to give off a certain electrical sound due to bad wiring and it causes my ears to become really sensitive to the noise and start a burst of ringing.

Does anyone know how to help?

LilGsMama
16-02-16, 17:44
Hi guys lately I've noticed I'm getting spontaneous high pitched sounds in my ear lasting a few seconds and I have found the cause.

Does anybody get really sensitive to electrical noises? I work away alot and stay in old buildings sometimes and they seem to give off a certain electrical sound due to bad wiring and it causes my ears to become really sensitive to the noise and start a burst of ringing.

Is this in addition to tinnitus? Mine has been up and down for the past few days, I can change the pitch by clenching my teeth or moving my head, which is weird! :unsure:

TomsThoughts
17-02-16, 17:26
That's so strange because I was literally just doing that. Every time I clench my jaw when stressed I hear a high pitched noise. And yes it is it seems to be only old building aw when there isn't a lot of background noise

LilGsMama
17-02-16, 20:04
That's so strange because I was literally just doing that. Every time I clench my jaw when stressed I hear a high pitched noise. And yes it is it seems to be only old building aw when there isn't a lot of background noise

A bit of loud TV set a high pitch off in my ear this morning.. also getting pitch changes when I bend over, rub my face, turn around etc.

Seeing ENT in a few weeks so definitely going to ask about it then!

Have you seen your GP about it, TT?

TomsThoughts
17-02-16, 20:11
No not yet but i should, it all seems to have come on since the beginning of the week. I've been really stressed with work so I think stress has a big role in this

LilGsMama
17-02-16, 21:24
I'm unsure whether mine is down to anxiety, sinus problems or my mild hearing loss in my left ear :unsure:

** My tinnitus just randomly switched ears for a minute or so, then went back (to my left ear).. ENT fixed me up with a little hearing aid to try and help, only had it a week. The tinnitus usually switches ears when I wear it, I have absolutely no explanation for this weird crap, hoping ENT do next month!

Is yours in one ear or both?

TomsThoughts
18-02-16, 07:26
Mine is only one ear (my left) it also switches ear with a spontaneous tone, in the mornings like right now I can't hear it at all, it's only through the day it comes along, at the money in putting it down to anxiety which is definitely true, I've never had this before until I was diagnosed with anxiety and started to become sensitive to every feeling and noise

LilGsMama
18-02-16, 16:42
It's new to me too, got it 11 Dec. I remember the exact date! My GP said it was down to sinusitis. ENT said the other week that I don't have sinus problems and sorted the hearing aid out. Have never had hearing probs before, was diagnosed with mild high frequency hearing loss in 2007 but haven't really noticed it to be honest. Everything has happened in the past couple of months.

Do you feel like your ear is blocked or sore or anything? :)

TomsThoughts
18-02-16, 20:00
At the moment no, it has in the past. But I used a technique which worked a treat for me.

All I did was put a small hole in the top of a bottle (1litre bottle) and hold one nostril closed whilst squeezing air from the bottle into the other making sure it was air tight, after doing swallow. It helped a lot and my muffled hearing went away.

I'm just really sensitive when it comes to sounds at the minute which is an anxiety symptom (hypersensitivity) that's my cause.

LilGsMama
19-02-16, 11:06
Me too, I can hear myself blink, swallow, hear clicks in my head/ears etc. When I'm busy I don't notice it but when I sit and think, then I hear them loud!

I was given a sinus wash kit to use by ENT but the instructions said I shouldn't use it if I have ear probs! Going to speak to ENT about it in a few weeks :)

PanchoGoz
19-02-16, 16:54
I find I get bugged by old fashioned televisions which give off a high pitched whine. Doesn't bother old people because they can't hear it. I can change the pitch of a sound by yawning.

LilGsMama
19-02-16, 17:02
I can change the pitch by clenching my jaw or rubbing my face.. no idea :D :D

TomsThoughts
22-02-16, 06:17
Its so strange but like this weekend I've hardly noticed it because I've been just kinda relaxing and spending quality time with friends

Good luck with your appointment :D

boyyo
22-02-16, 13:28
I too get tinnitus when there lot of ear wax too!

LilGsMama
24-02-16, 16:35
Its so strange but like this weekend I've hardly noticed it because I've been just kinda relaxing and spending quality time with friends

Good luck with your appointment :D

Thanks! Mine is like this sometimes, if I'm not listening for it then I don't notice it as much. Glad you had a good weekend! :yesyes:

LilGsMama
25-02-16, 21:51

I had an odd experience of this last night, but in the ear that doesn't really have any issues. Every time I turned my ear to the TV, I heard a high pitched hiss, just slightly different from my usual left ear-noises. It was so bizarre I kept turning round and back again!

I must have this sensitivity to electrical sounds, only noticed it once today though :unsure::unsure:

TomsThoughts
26-02-16, 10:34
We become more sensitive to external sounds when looking for them it's strange but anyone can do it.

It's nothing to worry about whenever you're busy or you start to have more fun it completely goes as mine has :)