PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a lump diagnosed as benign

emmalj0
16-02-16, 08:48
Hi I'm trying so hard not to worry about my lump under breast had for three years now. Iv been told feels like lipoma. It moves under skin not grown much. Could really appreciate any similar stories please.

dizzy daisy
16-02-16, 08:55
Yes, had three lumps diagnosed as benign in the past.
One was a cyst and on was a smooth movable lump like yours. Third was just swollen glandular tissue. Xxxx

Darwin73
16-02-16, 09:03
Google 'breast mouse' (not scary!). This sounds like it could be one of these.

MyNameIsTerry
16-02-16, 09:11
My dad's got one in his throat. He thought it was the old mans neck some people get (he's mid seventies) but one time on a routine visit a GP noticed it and referred him for the obvious worrying checks. The consultant said it was a cyst and unless it was causing pain, they wouldn't consider removing it. He must have had it over 7 years now. His moves but no pain or anything.

emmalj0
16-02-16, 09:48
It's not in the breast but underneath where my underwire sits. Iv seen numerous people iv had ultrasound although can feel it nothing has been seen on ultrasound which puts doubt in my mind something has been missed. You can feel it under the skin it moves but doesn't stick out so can't physically see it. G.p said he's known me 13 months now and he can feel no changes so in his eyes it's fine. I just want to stop thinking it's a sarcoma of some kind.

meche
16-02-16, 09:55
Yep! Have a 'breast mouse' also known as fibroadenoma. Had it for as long as I can remember but over the years couldn't always feel it so didn't worry too much. A few years ago I could suddenly feel it again and it was huge & I went into panic. Doctor wasn't concerned (knew what it was straight away) but had to go for scan anyway as it's standard procedure. A lump you've had for 3 years doesn't sound like anything sinister but go & get it checked out for peace of mind. You'll feel so much better. xx

Gary A
16-02-16, 10:20
Emma, nothing anyone says can change your mind unless you open yourself up to the factual evidence. It hasn't changed in 13 months, even if it were some weird slow growing tumour that medical science has never heard of, it would still have shown some change in that time period.

It has not! It is not a tumour. Time to try to move on.

emmalj0
16-02-16, 11:44
Thanks Gary I am really trying to trust my gp he's told me to relax I'll be fine hope he's right. Iv never worried over something so much before all because I read about sarcomas

Gary A
16-02-16, 12:12
Emma, try with all of your heart, and head to take heed here. You have to very much start allowing logic to seep it's way in. Logic dictates that cancer grows, right? That's just a known fact. Even "slow growing" tumours still grow, hence the "growing" part. In 13 months a tumour, whether aggressive or slow growing, will 100% no doubt about it exhibit noticeable changes. That is a cast iron fact. Repeat that to yourself constantly.

Logic also dictates that your lump grew pretty fast to begin with, right? It must have for you to just suddenly notice it. So what you're essentially saying is that a fast growing tumour became a slow growing tumour all on its own? You know it doesn't work like that Emma. If it started out growing rapidly, and it was indeed a cancerous tumour, it would have actually sped up in its rate of growth. Cancer does not slow down all on its own, it just doesn't. That's why people throw radiation and chemotherapy at cancer, to slow its rate of growth and malignancy down.

If you had a tumour that slowed down all on its own you'd be on the front page of every medical journal on the planet. You'd be getting prodded and poked to find out what was so special about you that made your cancer slow down all on its own. You aren't though. Why? Because you have a lipoma, a very common benign lump that a lot of people have.

So what's more likely Emma? That numerous doctors are wrong, ultrasound scanning has "missed something", and you've got a magical never before heard of stealth tumour that waxes and wanes whenever it pleases, or, you have a common lipoma?

Think about it Emma, really think.

meche
16-02-16, 13:02
Gary is right. When I found mine & panicked my other half quite rightly commented that I'd had the lump on/off for 'x' number of years and I must be the longest surviving terminal person ever! My intelligent side (believe me there is one :wacko:) knew he was right but the anxious side of me still thought what-if! After I was checked by a professional & got the all clear, I did think for a few days what if they've missed something. The bottom line is what right do we have to doubt these professionals who have been to med school for 11+ years to be at the top of their game - it isn't in their best interest to misdiagnose you. Once I got my head around that I moved forward.... and that's what you have to do.

I don't mean to sound harsh Emma but there are people out there who aren't as lucky as you and would give the world to have a clear diagnosis. Be happy you're healthy, stop reading about things you don't need to know about and forget about your lump. :hugs: xx

Magic
16-02-16, 14:12
My husband has lumps (lipoma) in his stomach ,on his arms. All over both his arms.
He has had many removed , but they have come back again over the years.

meche has got it right. If in doubt have another opinion if you need too. xxx

Fishmanpa
16-02-16, 14:26
I have a BB sized lump on my neck right where the collarbone starts. Had it for many years. It's totally benign. Another large one on my lower back... lipoma... totally benign.

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
16-02-16, 15:20
Thanks guys I just worry so much because of where it is and what iv read. Iv two young children and feel like I don't enjoy my life because of this. Everyone thinks I'm pathetic

Gary A
16-02-16, 15:25
Thanks guys I just worry so much because of where it is and what iv read. Iv two young children and feel like I don't enjoy my life because of this. Everyone thinks I'm pathetic

All the more reason to make moves in a positive direction then, surely?

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being absolutely certain, how likely is it that your lump is a cancerous tumour?

honeybun44
16-02-16, 15:30
I have a huge number of lipomas. Some rubbery, some harder, some big some small. They run in my family. Totally benign.

emmalj0
16-02-16, 16:31
In my mind it's ten but GPS have told me unless changes I'm no need to worry so I have to try and trust them don't i

Fishmanpa
16-02-16, 16:33
I have to try and trust them don't i

Yes you do!

Positive thoughts

emmalj0
17-02-16, 07:52
See attachment

emmalj0
17-02-16, 07:56
Iv uploaded some letters iv had in relation to my appointments and ultrasound. Can I stop worrying about this

Gary A
17-02-16, 09:21
Iv uploaded some letters iv had in relation to my appointments and ultrasound. Can I stop worrying about this

Yes!! Stop worrying about it.

Fishmanpa
17-02-16, 12:34

That's about as clear as one can get. It really is time to put this away and start working on why you're still worrying.

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
17-02-16, 17:19
I totally understand how you are feeling right now. I'm having a VERY similar fear/anxiety. I found a indentation in my breast about a month ago. I went to see my gyno about it and she sent me for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Both came back good and they released me. My doctor told me to call her if I see any changes. While I'm glad I had the tests done, and they did help me feel a little better I can't help but wonder if something was missed. Like you, I have read SO much about that happening and I've been a wreck since I had the tests done 2 weeks ago.

emmalj0
17-02-16, 18:36
I don't know why I still am worrying. It is because of what iv read online I can't get out my head really miss diagnosis altho all my symptoms point to it being benign what if I'm the exception and it's really slow growing

Gary A
17-02-16, 18:52
I don't know why I still am worrying. It is because of what iv read online I can't get out my head really miss diagnosis altho all my symptoms point to it being benign what if I'm the exception and it's really slow growing

The exception to what? Known medical science?

emmalj0
17-02-16, 19:06
Iv read few stories where people have had really slow growing tumours that turned out to be sarcomas. I know probably extremely rare. My Dr has said he knows 100% it's not that and part of me thinks I am stupid as I feel well after all these years but I hate the lump being in my body

Leslie735
18-02-16, 07:55
I've read those stories too or the tests missing it. It has me in my current panic.

emmalj0
18-02-16, 10:52
If I'd had a mammogram Aswell as ultrasound I'd be reassured. Iv only had an ultrasound no further testing won't do it x

Mindknot
18-02-16, 11:36
Have a lump in my boob too, it's a fibroadenoma i.e. nowt. I still get an anxious moment every now and then when I think it's changed, but I trust the breast clinic on this, they see breasts of all sorts and sizes all day and everyday, and they know what's what. So trust them, you've had an ultrasound and it's fine. Have you got this 'benign' diagnosis written down somewhere e.g. in a letter from the clinic or anything? If I'm feeling worried about it I tend to read over the letter again to reassure myself - it's easier when it's in writing.

emmalj0
18-02-16, 12:07
Yes iv got copies of letters and two ultrasound reports. Mines not in breast as such its where my underwire sits. They can all feel but nothing shows up on ultrasound this is why I get anxious as is a lump there so y can't they see it

Leslie735
18-02-16, 13:50
Yes iv got copies of letters and two ultrasound reports. Mines not in breast as such its where my underwire sits. They can all feel but nothing shows up on ultrasound this is why I get anxious as is a lump there so y can't they see it

I understand. I have a dent, I can see it when I look down at my breast or when I lift up my arm (its on the side of my right breast) but nothing was shown on either test. Its a constant reminder of my anxiety.:weep:

Jem21
18-02-16, 21:37
Emma, sarcomas are extremely rare and they don't miss things like that. I had a lump for 2 years before I got it checked and in that time the lump got bigger and bigger. It turned out to be a sarcoma. They grow, even low grade ones like mine. They grow all the time so if yours was anything like that it would get bigger not stay as it was. If you have had checks then you must believe them as they know what to look for Hun. Count yourself lucky all your tests have come back clear and when you have the worry tell yourself you have been checked and everything is fine! Xx

emmalj0
18-02-16, 21:43
Thank you so much for the reassurance jem x

Jem21
18-02-16, 21:48
My consultant told me you have more chance of winning the lottery than having a sarcoma so that must put it into some perspective. I've had mine over 2 years and even though it's low grade it's grown quite a bit because they do. It's operable so I'm going to be fine because I believe what they tell me as that's their skill not mine. You must keep telling yourself it's nothing to worry about even if you have to tell yourself 100 times a day to start with. Keep reading the letter that says it's fine and eventually you will believe that. Thinking of you xx

emmalj0
19-02-16, 03:17
Thank you. Thinking of you too. Hope all goes well with your op x

SW_Pat
19-02-16, 18:40
I have a small lump on my thigh. I don't know what it is, but I guess it isn't getting any worse. I don't think it's growing, it doesn't hurt. It's just one of those things I wish I didn't have regardless of what it is. Like, even though I don't have melanoma, I wish I had no moles. This lump doesn't have to be anything, but I really wish it was gone. The simple fact that I know it's there brings me stress.

Jem21
19-02-16, 19:45
Can't they remove it?