PDA

View Full Version : Meds finally!!!!

matilda
28-02-07, 17:59
Hi all, i havent posted for a while as i have been struggling with my anxiety and it all came to a head last week when my 6 year old had a fall and had to have surgery!!! Shes fine now but i was in such a state that my doc prescribed me citolopram(not sure how to spell it). I have avoided this route and tried cbt but i actually think i need to be stable before the cbt can work and the only way to get stable is to take the drugs.

My doc is good and i trust her she has started me on 10 mgs and wants me to get up to 20 in 2 weeks. So far i havent had any side effects i have been on them for 3 days wot do you all think???

I have felt ill since last august and it has never lasted this long before, i just want to feel normal!!!

nell1965
28-02-07, 18:27
Hi
CBT is very good, but you are right , you do need to be well enough to benefit from it (only my opinion ) if you thought processes are really all messed up then cbt will only make you feel worse. I know there are people out there who are anti-medication but sometimes there is a place for them to allow us to regroup and get enough energy back again to start learning new ways of dealing with our issues and coping mechanisms. Then we can start to try and reprogram our thoughts and learn rational thinking rather than this automatic straight to the panic button before we even get a chance to collect our thoughts. Medication worked for me and now i am almost off the meds and now getting cbt. Give it a go and stay positive, remember it wont happen over night and it can take 6 to 8 weeks to see any real benefit so dont be down heartened if you feel good one day then down again the next, this is normal in the getting better process, hang on in there, you can get your life back again, i did.

Lissy43
28-02-07, 19:02
I think you are doing the right thing for you especially having a shock like that.

I started with health anxiety after the birth of my 2nd child 3 years ago. I ignored it and one day it came to a head and I felt suicidal. My husband came home and we went to the dr, I was put on anti ds and I felt much better within a week or so. I stayed on them for a year and I am so glad I took them. I then had some counseling and now although im not 100% over it I am about 70% there. I am not on meds or having counselling now but im dealing with the anxiety, I have blips but we all do.

All I can say is im glad I took the meds when I was at my worst otherwise who knows where I would be now.

Hope you feel better soon.

matilda
01-03-07, 12:15
Thanx for replying, i too have had this since birth of my second childand have had meds before bit i resisted it this time round and have stayed ill longer hope this works now!!!