PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with being alone?

xilvey
16-02-16, 14:54
Hi guys I know I've been posting a lot recently but I have recently moved back to my mums house because of how bad I've gotten

I'm absolutely heartbroken and I want to go back home with my partner but I can't deal with my panic attacks when he's at work, does anyone have any tips to help me?

I don't really have any friends and all my family work full time during the day so I can't ask anyone to keep me company

How do you cope? I'm desperate to move back home :(

Oosh
16-02-16, 16:14
I have podcast conversation going on in my ear just about every minute I'm on my own :-)

Write to yourself in your electronic diary. Record how you're feeling, how things are going, progress, issues and solutions.

Learn stuff - feed your mind with new tools.

There's a really friendly bunch in the chat room here. Find ways like that to be connected to others. It can make all the difference when you're on your own.

Suziewuzie
16-02-16, 16:59
I'm off work at the monent because my anxiety is bad, and I hate it when my boyfriend leaves for work. I've got myself into a little routine now when he leaves, I go straight in the shower and get dressed then I force myself to eat a little bit of breakfast. (All the while I'm doing this i am absolutely wanting to crawl back into bed and hide) and then once I'm sorted I go round to my mums for the afternoon and just watch TV, read, whatever. Then i'll make my way back home a couple of hours before my boyfriend gets back x

xilvey
17-02-16, 15:03
I like the idea of podcasts! I do a lot of knitting crocheting but once I get thinking I'm done for! :(

Xtrastrongbint
17-02-16, 15:26
I actually suffer with the exact opposite of this (totally unhelpful - sorry!). I cannot bear to be around people when I'm anxious so am really glad I live on my own..I actually start to get anxious when my boyfriend comes to visit at weekends just in case I panic or worry around him - totally ridiculous :) Anxiety has a lot to answer for:hugs:

xilvey
26-02-16, 15:25
It all affects us differently!

GingerFish
28-02-16, 16:49
I used to struggle being alone when I was at my worst and my partner was at college. I was housebound at this point so I couldn't even go to my mum's so I was forced to grin and bear it in my flat. Things that helped me where - as soon as he left I made sure I kept myself active whether that meant playing a game, doing the washing, watching a film - I basically done anything that but lie in my bed staring at the ceiling feeling sorry for myself, which was hard at the start! If I felt myself starting to panic and I couldn't get a hold of him on FB as we usually talk on there while he was in class, I would come onto sites like this or go for a bath and listen to my Dr Claire Weekes tapes and that would help. The first few weeks of me being at my worst and him being at college were a nightmare and I hoped he would take the day off or even be ill so he wouldn't have to leave but exposing myself to being alone was the only way I could ever be cured. I didn't want to accept it but avoiding being alone was the thing that was keeping me ill. This was yrs ago and he is still at college now and in his last year and occasionally I still get days were I dread him going even though I would say I am cured but I just have to remember I'll be fine and within half an hour of him leaving, I feel fine. My cats also kept me company. Pets can be a good addition to a home and they are also great for reducing anxiety and depression. My pets are my life, I'd be lost without them.

wantpeace
28-02-16, 19:33
I have the radio on. If I'm highly anxious, I try to go for something easy listening e.g. smooth FM. If I'm feeling a bit better, maybe a bit more indie, rock.

xilvey
01-03-16, 17:24
I'm so glad I have this forum to turn to!! I do have Guinea pigs but they're not the most affectionate pets haha! They're all just as skittish as their mummy!

Mike_NY
01-03-16, 17:36
You should get out of the house and go for a jog whenever you can with some good tunes in your headphones. Jogging works wonders for anxiety.