PDA

View Full Version : Could this be IBS?

Madgirl12
16-02-16, 22:56
Hi,

Today I finally had a doctor's appointment for some symptoms I've had for over 6 months now. My GP surgery has become a nightmare to deal with over the past year and now you have to discuss your symptoms with a nurse before they decide if you can get an appointment or not.

Anyway, I'd phoned up about my stomach in October and had a telephone consultation with a nurse but she didn't think I'd need to go in at that point.

I'd discovered a slightly lumpy, swollen area in my stomach, above the belly button but it kind of sloped to the right a little. I first noticed it while glancing down in the shower and thought it didn't look like regular flab. Of course I started thinking about it every time I showered and started to get paranoid and eventually I phoned the surgery and didn't get an appointment then - she told me if it got bigger to phone again.

I wasn't sure if it had gotten bigger per se but it hadn't disappeared anyway. And about 2 weeks ago I started getting some stomach pains on and off. Including a shooting pain right down the middle of my stomach. But it's been mostly what I could call pinching sensations, gripping or pulling. I was sitting in the passenger seat of a car recently and I was kind of squirming around trying to get comfortable as the pinching was quite unsettling. Not really painful just constant and I was wondering what was going on.

I've also noticed recently that I've not been going to pee as frequently as I used to. I used to go first thing then around 10am I'd need to go again. However I can make it to 12 or even 1pm without needing the loo. One day I never went until 4pm, it hit me I'd not been since around 8am and I thought that's weird! Not sure if it's related but given that I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and sometimes water as well I think it's a bit odd.

Anyway, back to the pains. They were on again on Saturday, I also started to feel nauseous after breakfast which was strange but the pains were on and off all day - I ended up needing to get a hot water bottle on my stomach but it didn't give much relief. And again yesterday, all day on and off I had the pinching sensations in various parts of my stomach. I'd been pretty stressed out trying to get a dr appointment yesterday, it took forever just to speak to someone and I was so relieved to get an appointment for today.

Today's appointment. The doctor got me to lie on the bed and was pressing my stomach and getting me to cough occasionally. She thinks the lump is just fat, nothing to worry about. She mentioned doing exercises for the core muscles. She didn't say much about the pinching sensations (not sure if they can only discuss one ailment at a time nowadays?!) but when I asked if it could be IBS she said possibly. So I'm not really sure what to do now - but what do you think, does it sound like IBS?