PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and constant bad nightmares?

white1989
18-02-16, 15:07
over the last few weeks my anxiety has been particularly bad with worrying about my health. Over these weeks I have noticed that I'm having very frequent, vivid nightmares, sometimes a number of different ones each night, which wake me up in a horrible fluster and really disturb my sleep. Some examples of recent ones include:

- trying to run away from something but not being able to because it feels like I'm running under water and my legs won't move properly?!
- having to walk up onto a stage (usually at school) in front of a massive hall of people and constantly tripping over
- being chased
- my house being burgled
- being trapped

- having a stroke where I can feel half of my face becoming lopsided and not being able to speak properly - no one around me will help me
- the WORST one to date, last night: being in my old place of work and hearing gunshots, seeing gunmen storming the shop and running down into the staff rooms and hiding in a cupboard with my old manager, and the gunman opened the door and shot me about 4 times, and I could feel blood draining from my body with a feeling like I'd just been put to sleep with an anaesthetic, which is the point where I woke up in a massive pool of sweat and panting! at the end of the dream I remember thinking I was dying and thinking of my family and loved ones, like my life was flashing before my eyes. then I woke up.

does anyone think this could be a side effect of anxiety? last night's dream has really frightened me and I can't stop thinking about it, these nightmares are really affecting my sleep pattern recently as I'm waking up numerous times in the night in a panic which is also affecting my partner. I used to have really good dreams of being in amazing situations and places, and I'd wake up thinking 'aww I wish that was true' - now its the complete opposite! Wish I knew how to stop it from happening!

HeadInAJar
18-02-16, 17:55
I think all you can do is accept that for the time being, this is how things are. I used to have terrible nightmares until I stopped being afraid of them, then they stopped over night. It's tough but I'm sure it will pass for you too :).

Chocolateface
18-02-16, 18:51
Remember they are just dreams and not real they can't hurt you despite being scary.

Have you tried reading a light hearted book before bed or looking at holiday brochures to distract the min. Hope you get some sleep

Clare