PDA

View Full Version : Will I get points for this

Chocolateface
18-02-16, 20:38
Hi

Was driving home today and I had to cross a roundabout controlled with traffic lights. As I approached the light was green, just as I got to the front it changed up to yellow and by the time I exited it had turned red. In my honest opinion I could not have stopped my car at the stop point unless I slammed my brakes on, and when I was going I went with care not speeding.

Now at the lights I saw a police car and didn't see any police officers but then I didn't look too closely.

I am now a bit stressed that I will get a ticket for going through a red light even though it was amber when I crossed. Can the police even send tickets or should they stop you first and do they need to provide evidence from cameras and do they have these cameras in cars

Thanks

Clare

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Well having got myself in a state I told my hubby who thought it was funny in a cute way and told me to stop worrying, and what will be will be. Feeling a bit better now although I will still be stressing over it for a few weeks incase something arrives in the post.

Fishmanpa
18-02-16, 21:05
Well having got myself in a state I told my hubby who thought it was funny in a cute way and told me to stop worrying, and what will be will be. Feeling a bit better now although I will still be stressing over it for a few weeks in case something arrives in the post.

He's right... It is what it is and in my experience that's not a ticket. Sometimes, depending on the circumstance, green means go, red means stop and yellow means go faster :)

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
18-02-16, 22:05
If the amber light is illuminated, a vehicle must stop, unless it has already passed the white stop line or the vehicle is so close to the stop line, that coming to a halt might cause an accident. If the red light is showing, then you must stop behind the stop line in all circumstances.

you will be fine :) if you slammed on your brakes you could have caused an accident

Chocolateface
18-02-16, 22:16
Thanks Emmz, I was literally that close to the line that by the time I could have reacted and moved my foot I would have passed the line hence why I kept going as I was aware there were cars behind me

venusbluejeans
18-02-16, 22:20
I have done it a few times before, you don't have time to stop because it would cause more problems behind you, you have committed no offence

MyNameIsTerry
19-02-16, 06:37
And don't forget, if the police were there they would have stopped you. They do have cameras in cars (often for the automatic number plate recognition alone) but they won't be looking through the tape just in case, they use that for evidence for people they do pull over.

And besides, many coppers can't be bothered with minor things...or at least they don't in my city. In over 20 years I am yet to see a taxi driver wearing a seat belt and the plods do nothing. It's not like the cops on TV pulling people over for everything.

Chocolateface
19-02-16, 07:08
Thanks Terry, I am sure I will be ok, I just had a wobble, I couldn't see anyone with a camera and on the radio just before that they reported heavy traffic on the motorway above the island so the police could have been there

MyNameIsTerry
19-02-16, 07:26
Were these the policemen? If so, I wouldn't worry. :winks:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-OjGYP5SI-Q/hqdefault.jpg
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/42/618x380/uktv-last-of-the-summer-wine-louis-emerick-ken-kitson.jpg

PC Walsh "Shouldn't we stop and help out?"

PC Cooper "Well, we could but then we would have to spend the rest of the day filling out paperwork. Lot of paperwork involved in these sorts of things. Best to let it sort itself out"

[both plods tip their hats forward and go back to sleep]

For fans of Last of the Summer Wine :nicked::nicked::winks::roflmao:

Mozie
19-02-16, 20:15
To be honest I wouldn't worry I the police was bothered they would have stopped you there and then, only time you normally get a letter is if your flashed by a camera wether it be speed of redlight camera or static roadside police radar or camera van, then you'll receive a notice of intended prosecution for the offence, sometimes first offence ie speeding you'll get speed awareness course,if you attend it you get no points

If there was no camera at the lights ir you wasn't flashed I very much,doubt you'll get any letters of intended prosecution, if the police was there and saw you commit an offence they would have stopped you there and then and either give you a warning or a ticket

I'm sure you'll be fine, look at it this way the worse you would get is prbly 3 points or a fine and you'd still be driving

I don't see anything happening though..

Chocolateface
19-02-16, 20:59
Thanks Mozie, appreciate the advice as situations like this make my anxiety goe into overdrive

Mozie
19-02-16, 21:50
No problem hope it helped

I've been there myself thought I'd got nabbed Comimg of a 50 mph dual carriageway into a 30 by a speed camera van before Christmas but I was still doing just over fifty luckily for me there's was traffic in front so I had to slow down luckily just before the cameravan which was hidden behind one of those new signs that flash your speedup sneaky buggers,

Best thing is my lad lives on the same road and he knows they sit there regularly a week later they got him and he ended up with 3 points and a fine has he's already done a speed awareness course, he received the dreaded notice of intended prosecution letter,

I had to laugh he should have known better best thing is he passed it on his way out and got him on the way back :whistles: