PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of hurting myself when I use the bathroom

zx123
18-02-16, 19:24
Hi,
I know this might sound a bit strange but....
I have this problem where I worry about hurting myself when I use the bathroom.

I had a traumatic experience where I was on a bus and I needed to use the bathroom but I couldn't go for a long period of time.
Since that time I have had a problem where I have to go to the to bathroom to check before I go on a long journey.
I used to strain to make sure that my bowel was empty and that I would not need to use the bathroom again.

I still go to the bathroom to check before going on a long journey but I have stopped straining because I read that it could cause physical damage,
Even though I now try not to strain when I use the bathroom, I have become obsessed about it and I worry that I might damage myself when I use the bathroom.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-16, 07:31
You may get haemorrhoids the more you strain. These are nothing to worry about, they can be treated, but it's best not to encourage it.

If you are no longer straining, there is no chance of causing anything, so try to accept that it can't happen if you don't. It's probably an offshoot from your anxiety over the toilet which is main issue to resolve. But the more you don't allow it to make you anxious, the more that particular issue with go away.