PDA

View Full Version : Asthma inhaler not reaching lungs? Scared of attacks!

Orange Lightning
18-02-16, 20:37
I've had some serious difficulty breathing lately, but I also have a very tight throat. I think the tightness is from the reflux, but I also tighten up a lot in the cold. When my throat is as tight as it is - like difficult to swallow my own saliva/mucus tight - would that potentially block rescue inhaler from reaching my lungs? Like would it just stick in my throat instead of the lungs? I'm scared because its taking a LOT of attempts/puffs for my inhaler to work, but if it does work, it works quickly. It also worries me my purple inhaler isn't reaching my lungs either!

I'm using a volumatic spacer for the record, never just an inhaler on its own.

Catherine S
18-02-16, 20:47
Funnily enough, I was watching a programme on tv the other evening about this very thing. A doctor was showing an asthma patient how to use his inhaler properly, because he'd come to see her as he felt it wasn't giving him the relief it should. His doctor demonstrated the right and the wrong way to use it and also suggested watching the demo vids on YouTube to help also. She said alot of people have trouble with inhalers and as a result, not much of the medication reaches the airways, hitting the back of the throat instead. This isn't harmful by the way, but obviously it's not doing the lungs much good either!

I only have to use my inhaler (blue one) at certain times because I get seasonal asthma, but it showed me that I hadn't been using it in the right way.

ISB x

Orange Lightning
18-02-16, 20:50
Funnily enough, I was watching a programme on tv the other evening about this very thing. A doctor was showing an asthma patient how to use his inhaler properly, because he'd come to see her as he felt it wasn't giving him the relief it should. His doctor demonstrated the right and the wrong way to use it and also suggested watching the demo vids on YouTube to help also. She said alot of people have trouble with inhalers and as a result, not much of the medication reaches the airways, hitting the back of the throat instead. This isn't harmful by the way, but obviously it's not doing the lungs much good either!

I only have to use my inhaler (blue one) at certain times because I get seasonal asthma, but it showed me that I hadn't been using it in the right way.

ISB x

Under normal circumstances when I don't have a tight throat, my inhaler always works. Right now though it simply isn't working as often no matter how much I watch my technique. I even made doubly sure I was using my spacer right just today!

Catherine S
18-02-16, 21:00
Not sure about the mucus aspect tbh, because I've never heard or read that this can stop the vapour/mist from reaching the lungs. I would have thought the inhaler should bypass this problem, especially with the spacer but i'm no expert. Other members may know more about this problem Orange. I think it's something for your asthma nurse to discuss with you. Take care.

ISB x

Fishmanpa
18-02-16, 21:02
Perhaps, like one should do when checking BP, you should get warm, sit and relax quietly for 10 minutes or so then do it. If you're tensed up, as it sounds like you are, you may be inhibiting yourself.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
08-03-16, 07:43
The inhalers are designed to deliver a dose when the airways are constricted, at least in the case of a Reliever anyway. I doubt it would be an issue but it would perhaps be wise to consult your surgery's asthma nurse or your GP if you have concerns.

Mucus increases when we have coughs/colds, and the throat can tighten due in these too, but the inhaler still does it's job.