PDA

View Full Version : agoraphobia and summertime

emily67
19-02-16, 09:53
was just wondering.. how many of you with aagoraphobia get really depressed during the summer time, and what you do to help yourself either get a winter
feeling, or to cope with the wasted days of summer?

want some ideas

thanks

GingerFish
19-02-16, 11:39
I'm not agoraphobic now but I was for years and was even housebound from it. Summer was my worst time as summer is seen as a happy time but it filled me with dread as I knew everywhere would be crowded, it would be bright outside so I would be more visible and couldn't hide as easily if I took a panic attack and generally it just reminded me that I am young, I should be out there having fun like everyone else instead of being stuck in my house.

The only thing that helped me was to gradually build up to going out more in the summer. Even if I only went out in the sun for half an hour a day, it was a start. At first I got only manage about 5 mins before the depressed and anxious feelings would kick in . I also opened my blinds and curtains fully on the sunniest of days and didn't try to block the sun out of my house and that also got me used to the brightness. The hardest was dealing with crowds. Crowds, heat and brightness altogether was a challenge. I built up by going to a shop like a supermarket that from the inside, you couldn't tell it was summer outside because its all artificial lighting inside but it was still crowded as people seem to flock out from everywhere in the summer so that got me used to crowds at least and then I would walk down the beach and that would get me used to the heat and brightness and when I felt ready I tried town which made me practice all three things together.

Its surprisingly common for people with anxiety or depression to feel worse during the summer but everyone thinks we feel worse in the winter. The seasons affect us all differently. One year I am fine in the summer then awful in the winter then vice versa.

KeeKee
19-02-16, 15:04
I'm not agoraphobic and never have been, but must admit the Summer months are the most difficult for me. Even now before Spring has started I am already dreading the Summer.
I don't like the Sun and I don't like how everybody expects you to be in a good mood just because there's a little sunshine. I hate that everywhere is crowded. I hate that my street is noisy until about 10PM and I hate the Sun shining in my window.
Sorry I'm not much help, it must be awful to be agoraphobic. There are times in my life where I've needed to coerce myself to leave the house, there have been times my eyes have been filled with tears because I've not wanted to go outdoors, but luckily I've never been unable to.

emily67
19-02-16, 15:34
I'm not agoraphobic and never have been, but must admit the Summer months are the most difficult for me. Even now before Spring has started I am already dreading the Summer.
I don't like the Sun and I don't like how everybody expects you to be in a good mood just because there's a little sunshine. I hate that everywhere is crowded. I hate that my street is noisy until about 10PM and I hate the Sun shining in my window.
Sorry I'm not much help, it must be awful to be agoraphobic. There are times in my life where I've needed to coerce myself to leave the house, there have been times my eyes have been filled with tears because I've not wanted to go outdoors, but luckily I've never been unable to.

best, post, ever!

and i'm not just saying that.

i think their's a lot of truth in that post, especially about summer depression all ready starting.

it has for me, too. (which is even worse, since i'm depressed like all the time anyway)

and i know.. we can't all be cheery during summer. it's not we don't want too, but what do we have to be cheery for?

last summer things got so bad, that i kept my curtains closed every day, keeping the darkness in. i couldn't bear to see the sunshine at all.