PDA

View Full Version : Help - thyroid AND salivary gland bad results

PinkKermie
19-02-16, 10:27
Hi.

Still waiting for sub mental salivary gland biopsy results, but thyroid antibodies came back OFF THE CHART! Over 600 when 34 is normal. Nodules found on thyroid. Doc has referred me to endocrinologist, because of my extreme anxiety, rather than monitoring results over a couple of weeks.

Now totally freaking out - crying constantly. Pain in chest, so scared this is the end for me. My kids are so young.

Can anyone relate or rationalise this in any way????

Has anyone been through this??

KeeKee
19-02-16, 11:10
My Mam was referred to an endo due to a thyroid mass. It was causing hypercalcaemia among other symptoms. It did need removing but was benign. Once it was removed calcium levels returned to normal

PinkKermie
19-02-16, 12:28
I have been googling......

Apparently high thyroid antibodies indicate autoimmune issues - with considerable links to stress, over a prolonged period.

Possibly also no coincidence that the thyroid antibody reading was taken at a time of extreme stress, relating to the discovery of sub mental tumour.

Also chronic stress from HA, and alopecia since childhood - which is also an auto immune condition and linked to stress.

I'm starting to think there is a pattern here, and strangely feel a bit calmer. Hoping now that sky high thyroid results are stress related, both present and long term anxiety induced.

Does this sound likely to anyone?

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Thanks KeeKee.

My lump is in the salivary gland, and I have been told it is 'probably' benign, although reading the radiologist's report doesn't sound very reassuring, and I'm too scared to look up some of the terms.

But it's the thyroid results that freaked me out today, although Google for once has helped by loads of info relating stress to thyroid problems.

Wish I could find someone who knows what I'm going through, and has lived to tell the tale. Anyone out there?

KeeKee
19-02-16, 13:11
'probably' is the exact word they used with my Mam too. But if you have a nodule that could be what is causing your thyroid level to go so high and if they decide to remove it then your levels will return to normal. My Mams calcium levels were dangerously high and since the removal they aren't and it was benign. I know how worrying it must be but they usually know benign from malignant and the reason they've said 'probably' is because they can't tell 100% without doing whatever tests it is they do to confirm this.

Fishmanpa
19-02-16, 13:33
The problem with asking for someone's experience on an HA board is that 99.9% of the members never actually realize what they fear ;)

Since you actually do have something going on concerning your thyroid, perhaps a thyroid "problem" (http://thyroidboards.com/forums/) forum may shed some light. And please, NOT a cancer forum, for your own benefit as well as those actually suffering.

Positive thoughts

Phuzella
19-02-16, 14:20
Is it a salivary gland stone?

PinkKermie
20-02-16, 02:43
No - it's not a stone. It's a tumour - waiting to find out if it's benign or malignant, but it will probably be removed either way.

Blackstar
22-02-16, 13:13
Hi PinkKermie,

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time.

I can't comment on your salivary tumour issue, but can maybe help on the thyroid score. I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease (autoimmune disease causing an overactive thyroid) years ago, and had high anti-thyroid antibodies. I've since had radioactive iodine to ablate my thyroid and now take thyroxine daily. It's a bit of a long journey but honestly, not that bad if it does go that way for you. I am now stable, just have blood tests every 6 months or so and have to alter my thyroxine dose from time to time, but generally I am fine :)

I really hope that if you do need treatment for your thyroid that it goes well and you start to feel better soon. You may find that if your thyroid hormones are too high at the moment you are more prone to anxiety, which doesn't help - so treatment might be beneficial on this score too!

Let us know how you get on.

Anna. x

PinkKermie
22-02-16, 15:32
Thanks Anna - it really does help to hear from people who are a bit further down the road, and to know that the scenarios I'm making up in my head don't have to be the only option, and that there are ways of dealing with these issues.

I know it's the anxiety coming into play here, causing me to react very extremely to the situation, so this sort of info really helps keep it in perspective - particularly while I am still waiting for results and initial information.

Blackstar
29-02-16, 10:48
Hi PinkKermie, good to hear from you and I'm glad I could help even a little bit.

It's a positive sign that you can acknowledge the part that anxiety plays, but I know from experience that it's not easy to accept it and almost impossible to stop worrying! We are just built that way, I think. Anyway I wish you all the best and hope you'll keep us posted as to how you get on :)

x