PDA

View Full Version : Some things about OCD that might help.

viking111
19-02-16, 13:24
Hello!
As I've been suffering from OCD for quite some time, I've collected a lot of important imformation that might help some sufferers. I will include some tips and my thoughts about this.

1. OCD is just OCD.
When you are consumed by the OCD, try to remeber one thing- OCD is just OCD, nothing more. It is just your thoughs that have escaped filtering (In normal cases, these thoughts are processed by the brain as rubbish and they are forgot, but with OCD, the part of the brain that processed the information thinks that the thought is a danger and releases anxiety.) This is the first thing to do when dealing with OCD, understanding it, researching it deeper and knowing its tricks.

2. Compulsions will never do any good.
For OCD sufferers that are not so experienced, at first compulsions feel like the only way of ending the anxiety and stress caused by obsession. At first doing compulsions does indeed help, as the anxiety is temporary relieved, but a little bit later, more thoughts come in, causing anxiety even higher and higher. This can go on forever, so don't do compulsions at all. If you keep doing compulsions to relieve anxiety, you will end up like me, having to face life and death fears and feeling really bad for a long amount of time.
For example, at first you start of with small compulsions like washing hands not to get contaminated, if you keep doing this, you can end up to the place where you start questioning reality and where even doing compulsions won't relieve stress- it will just make the stress and anxiety even stronger. This can go on even further, like not getting out of obsession for even months. Way to prevent it is to stop doing compulsions.

3. All obsessions do pass.
No matter what it is, being afraid to die or being afraid that I've travelled to paralel dimension as in my case, all these fears pass. At first they pass in matter of minutes, even seconds. But if OCD is reinforced by doing compulsions, it will go even deeper and deeper, making simple obsessions last even for months. But no matter what, they will pass eventually. Distraction and not thinking about them is even better, that makes them disappear faster.

4. Even with all the knowledge you have about OCD, it will find a way.
By this I mean that no matter how much knowledge you have about OCD and fighting techniques, it will evolve with your knowledge, finding a way to sneak past your defenses and hit you right in the face. But that does not matter you cannot fight it. Use the same working techniques and it will be defeated like every time. OCD is really good at finding weak spots and even making up things to make you believe it. Just use your logical thinking and techniques and you will defeat it all the time.

5. Strong OCD.
This is a topic that has been talked a lot by people and sufferers. Strong OCD in my opinion is like evolved OCD, which has been reinforced by doing compulsions, making it strong, causing you more and more anxiety. It even goes to trick you, like in my case.
I had this fear of traveling to a similar mirror dimension, where everything was similar. I picked this though off of some movie and OCD took it for some good trolling material. With this fear, I was severely tricked by OCD into analysing my parents' behaviour and thinking that the thought was actually real. This analysing made me believe that OCD was real. In reality, it was just me overanalysing.

I hope this helps some people.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-16, 07:05
Excellent post, viking!

I agree. Compulsions may feel like they are helping but they are really just signalling to the subconscious that the cycle is valid and it keeps going. It's hard to resist it, but it is needed to break it down.

Complex OCD is one I can certainly agree with. It's all about associations between neurons via synapses and they connect more & more so your obsessions become more complex, your compulsions more varied. It grows.

The same can be said in the Pure O side too. Since I've been here I have witnessed patterns in people with this, especially the sexual forms like POCD. They start off hating the thoughts, then they seem to get accustomed to me in that they just get more depressed or apathetic about them and then they move onto feelings of "liking". Each one of these stages scares them but in different ways.

Knowledge is so important in OCD. If you don't understand how you are reinforcing it, how can stop it? If you don't even realise it's OCD, which is a problem with the Pure O again because you will likely assume it to be a more serious psychological problem, then how can you even accept it?

But knowledge only goes so far. You can read every text ever written but you won't be much better. It's true that learning it is OCD takes the sting out but the rest is up to you.

GingerFish
21-02-16, 11:26
Really great post about OCD! Out of all the troubles with OCD, the thing I have the hardest time remembering is that every obsession will pass eventually just like every panic attack always ends even though it never feels like it will. Been dealing with this since I was a child and I may have won a lot of battles with it but I've still got a long way to go and I'm hoping therapy helps with that. To this day, despite being being diagnosed years ago and knowing full well I have it, I still try and deny it to myself. I still keep trying to tell myself I don't have it. Its not because I am ashamed (though, I used to be) its more about not wanting yet another label added on because I feel the more you get diagnosed with something in MH, its just yet another thing to deal with and it feels never ending and because its a debilitating illness and I've been at rock bottom with it but so many people play it down as a joke and it makes me feel weak to say how bad it really is because no one takes it seriously but I know I'll never be able to cure myself or fully manage it at least until I 100% fully embrace and accept I have it and not give a crap about what people say about it because I know the facts on it and so do those around me and that is all that matters.

Carnation
21-02-16, 11:57
I agree. Excellent Post Viking111.

I was drawn to your Thread because of your Avatar name. I have a weird fixation on 111, 222 and believe it is some gateway to the other-side???? :scared15:

viking111
22-02-16, 14:12
I agree. Excellent Post Viking111.

I was drawn to your Thread because of your Avatar name. I have a weird fixation on 111, 222 and believe it is some gateway to the other-side???? :scared15:

I use viking quite often in usernames. I kinda randomly added 111 just because simply viking was taken. Also what do you mean by other side?

Carnation
23-02-16, 12:16
I know, it's weird Viking and I don't even know what the other-side is, but I am probably referring to the gateway to the powers of the spiritual side. :ohmy: