PDA

View Full Version : Memory problems

Shayne
20-02-16, 03:56
Does anyone else have memory issues? i'm only 20 years old... and has anyones memory improved once they're anxiety lessens for a consistent period of time? to my understanding, why this happens is because our brain cells don't communicate as good when we are under long periods of chronic stress. Simply its harder to form new memories. I have read and hope its true that once you feel calm for a long period of time your memory improves. My biggest fear is arguably losing my memory, I can deal with any physical things but memory loss is the scariest thing.

MyNameIsTerry
20-02-16, 04:39
Yes, it's very common. There are threads about memory issues and some members panic over it thinking it could be something worse. But like you have read, it's connected. The reason is neurotransmitters and how they work. For instance, Serotonin is used in short term memory and learning. So, since Serotonin levels are often lower in people with anxiety/depression, the functions is handles are going to be reduced.

This ties in nicely with how recovering sorts things out with memory too, because you aren't hammering the neurotransmitters needed.

I seem to also recall something about how memory is retrieved and how mental health issues interfere with the retrieval channels but I would have to check on that. However, I do know someone who knows a lot about how memory works as he spent years researching it, and not just for mental health but in general. He's not on here anymore but I can tell you the forum he is on if you want someone with more advanced knowledge?