PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks/agoraphobia

ryungarr
20-02-16, 11:09
since october 2013 i gradually because house bound. first i was fighting thinking of the worse (having dizziness and all those symptoms) and then i just accepted the fact I am agoraphobic. Complete housebound, can't leave at all or else panic ensues... I do leave with some one or not at all sometimes and that even is difficult because of the amount of times I can't breathe. Question is, has anyone got a solution using meds? Can they really make you well to the point of going out again? I started taking meds. Trying pretty much breathing etc but it doesn't work for me... Please tell me that there's a solution at least with that. Sorry for my english if it was bad.. I'm to sad to think :/
greetings..
Chris..

faithfulone
20-02-16, 15:10
Hi ryungarr, sorry to hear you having such a hard time. I know from recent experience agoraphobia is really tough to deal with it. I would not say that I had ever had it before till recently when my anxiety and panic got really bad. I was on my way to work and had a really bad panic/anxiety attack and also had another one in church. So for several weeks I was housebound with my hubby doing the shopping, driving, etc. I realized I was only getting worse and had to do something. I tried the online CBT course recommended on this site and received a lot of tips here on this forum. The only cure for me was to get back out there and just push through those terrible symptoms. You may have to do a little at a time, maybe driving 1-2 miles and coming back home. For me the hardest was having to wait in line at checkout. I would leave the line several times or keep walking around the store till checkout was clear. I also have started going back to church, but sit in the last pews so I can leave if I feel I have to. The panic and anxious feelings are still there and sometimes I can feel myself starting to focus on them so much that they want to take over, but I just accept them and it gets easier.

Meds do help some people and others go through this without meds. I was taking an antidepressant that has helped me in the past, cured my panic attacks, but this time I was feeling more anxious on the AD, so I weaned off and only take a small dose of an anti-anxiety med. It helps with the shakiness.

I know the dizziness is the worst, I hate that symptom! I would even lean against the wall while taking a shower. From the CBT course, I'm practicing making myself dizzy so that I can see it's really not so bad and it's let up a lot. As for the breathing, practicing the breathing exercises did not help me much. When I'm panicking and try to control my breathing it would only make me feel worse. I just occasionally take a deep breath and relax my stomach and that seems to work for me. If you are hyperventilating that can make you feel dizzy so maybe it would help for you to practicing slowing your breathing. There are some breathing apps you can put on your phone to help during those times, but mostly remember with breathing it's automatic so you don't have to control it, just try slowing it down and relaxing your stomach.
I know all this seems easier said then done, but really with tiny steps it does help....each time gets a little better. Also, what really helped me was practicing making myself have some of those symptoms at home and being comfortable with them when they occurred (fast heart rate, dizziness).

ryungarr
20-02-16, 16:25
i cant get out alone... at all.

faithfulone
20-02-16, 23:32
I think you start with someone going with you and progress from there.....Have you seen a doctor / therapist about this or done any of the CBT / self-help books etc?

ryungarr
21-02-16, 09:56
im seeing a therapist... i cant read too anxious all time and it doesnt help me at all...

ana
21-02-16, 14:30
Chris, I used to feel the way you're feeling right now. Therapy and medication helped me a great deal, though, so I would advise seeing a professional about it. It will get better, I promise. Just keep taking baby steps, and don't lose hope as recovery is just round the corner. :)

faithfulone
21-02-16, 18:21
I agree, baby steps is what it takes and most of the CBT online stuff is made simple and easy to read with great illustrations. Each of the lessons I had were very short and easy to stop if you can't concentrate and just return to them a little later. I had difficulty with concentrating on anything at first, but it does get better, if you push through it.

comingup4air
29-02-16, 23:04
Hello there

I suffered from agoraphobia for many years. It started when I was 20, shortly after the birth of my first child.

First I began to have panic attacks, then I couldn't leave the house by myself, then I couldn't leave the house with my partner. Finally I could only manage to use a few rooms at home. I found things like brushing my hair would start the panic off - anything associated with getting ready to leave the house.

I lived like that for several years.

I finally managed to go to the doctor, I was given medication and met regularly with a CBT. I found the medication made me feel worse, but even taking paracetamol makes me anxious! So I didn't continue with it - but I know that for many people it is a great help.

One thing that kept me going was walking to the local library once a week with a friend. Okay not the most exciting thing but personally I love books and I looked forward to going and getting a new book. Or 2. This was before kindles ;) It was an achievable goal for me each week - after many sessions of CBT.

Now I work full time. I moved house. I drive. I can go shopping. I'm me again. Actually I am a better me now, because I am a stronger person, I'm more caring and patient.

If I ever feel panicky I remember to breathe and I can cope.

I struggle to go to places I don't know alone and I avoid the motorway if driving alone but so do many people.

You can get through this. Take baby steps. Stand in the garden or by the front door and breathe. You might feel like you about to collapse and curl up and cry or shake with fear BUT no-one else knows you feel like that.

Sorry for the long post. I have never spoken about my agoraphobia before this, but I think it is important to tell people going through it that it can be beaten. It takes time, energy and patience. And perseverance.

Be kind to yourself. You can do this, small goals and take it one day at a time. But do stick with the CBT.