PDA

View Full Version : chest and upper back stabbing pain

John_Daryl
21-02-16, 13:31
I get this sometimes, for very short periods, maybe lasting between 2 seconds or on and off for 5 minutes.

It feels like a stabbing pain. I had it really bad once when i was talking to somebody and i had some paperwork in my hand. The ache was right in the middle of my chest and lasted less than a second, but the pain was bad enough to make me drop the papers. This was maybe 6 months ago.

Now iv never had it quite as bad since but i do get it on and off more often when im anxious, although my worst experience wasn't at a time of experiencing anxiety.

My grandfather had angina and iv never been tested for it. Maybe I should go and get tested to see if that's causing the problem.

GingerFish
21-02-16, 14:52
I get this a lot, especially when anxious. The first few times I got it, it absolutely terrified me. Its not the worst pain in the world as it only lasts a short time but because it happens in my chest and upper back and comes on in an instant and without warning, it really takes a wee while to calm down from it. It feels like a stab or lightening bolt to me. Physically tensing my muscles without realising it while anxious and bad posture cause it with me. I do get it sometimes when I calm too. Its my upper back that takes the most of my anxiety and it is rock solid and tense and the slightest touch is sore and a massage feels like I'm being punched with a hammer instead. I do advise to go to your doctor for a check up, mainly just for peace of mind as I've always been told that short sharp pain in the chest that only lasts a few seconds, is always muscular and never related to any serious heart condition.

Fishmanpa
21-02-16, 15:21
My grandfather had angina and iv never been tested for it. Maybe I should go and get tested to see if that's causing the problem.

It's not angina. of that I'm quite confident (I have it). Your grandfather may have as it's something older adults with heart issues tend to get (like myself).

As GingerFish said, short stabbing pains that last seconds are more typically muscle/nerve related.

Positive thoughts

John_Daryl
22-02-16, 10:18
I have high respect for you fishmanpa and the amount of time you put into reassuring people and giving information on your experience. I say this because I feel as though you deserve some form of recognition for your input.

Fishmanpa
22-02-16, 12:13
I have high respect for you fishmanpa and the amount of time you put into reassuring people and giving information on your experience. I say this because I feel as though you deserve some form of recognition for your input.

Thanks John... the best possible recognition and respect is when you take the advice and experience, grab the dragon by the horns and start the healing.

Positive thoughts

boyyo
22-02-16, 13:27
I get this because I often hunch over my computer.. not good. now im doing bar hangs to straighten up my back and strengthen my back muscles to stop my slouching.