PDA

View Full Version : dentist tomorow anxiety high help

gregcool
21-02-16, 14:55
I guys.tomorow 10.30am i have got dentist appt ..i had initial assesment but tomorow is the actual day for work on my tooth..he said i have bad plack or something under my old filling that only showed up on a xray.its my back moller..he said he has got to drill out the old filling and clean out this stuff under the filling..he said if he cant remove it and re-fill the tooth,he will have to remove the tooth..i havnt had a tooth pulled out sonce i was a kid....i get very anxiious when i get the injection and you start to fill your face go numb..it feels crap that you are loosing the feeling in your face..i hate this bit more than any other part of the visit...plus the last time i went to the dentist,they didnt put enough anastetic in and half way through him drilling in my tooth,he hit a nerve and my legs shot up in the air,and the pain was so bad,he had to inject more into the area to further numb it off...im paranoid this will happen again and after drilling to remove the plack to then re-fill the tooth,he will end up pulling the thing out...its all making me very anxious and im on the verge of canceling the appt..i dont want to have to do this as it obiously needs to be done now before it gets worse in the future....any advice.....is it easy to pull a tooth out no days:weep:

Carnation
21-02-16, 16:57
Hi Greg.

I had a tooth extraction about 6 weeks ago and I am MEGA PETRIFIED of Dentists.
I had not been for 15 years!!!!
It was actually ok. Very quick, didn't feel much at all.
I had 2 injections initially and I told the Dentist that I suffered with panic attacks and anxiety, so he was extra cautious. When he started to work on the tooth, I could feel it, so I told him and he gave me another 4. (Probably too many).

So my advice would be to tell the Dentist to take his time due to your condition and make sure you have enough injections and take your time getting off the couch as I was quite light-headed afterwards. Which I should be used to, because I'm light-headed everyday. :D

You are obviously having problems with it if you had an assessment. If it wasn't giving you any problems then I would be the first to say leave it, but you know If you cancel Greg, the tooth won't get sorted and you have to go through all the anxiety again. Best to get it over with. :)

Elen
21-02-16, 17:23
Going on my own recent experience dental work has come a long way since we were kids.

I had a lot of work done recently and the fear was much worse than the actual experience.

Even the injections seem more advanced.

If it is only one tooth he is working on it is unlikely that you will experience the old numb face thing.

Good luck for tomorrow

Cherryade
21-02-16, 17:53
Dentists are very much better now. They even numb the gum before injections now so you don't feel a thing. Extractions are scary but no problem these days. I had one out a few months ago and the night before could not sleep but that was much worse than the actual extraction. Good luck.

gregcool
21-02-16, 19:01
Thanks guys very reasuring to hear.its on my mind tonight and am hoping he can just do a filling and not need to pull out the tooth.years ago it wouldnt have bothered me in the slightest..