PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat

NotCool
21-02-16, 16:09
I can't believe I'm writing this. It seems like I'm retarded when I'm looking at myself tying this post.

There's a stray calico cat creeping around my house, at least I think it's stray. I wasn't focused on it before today, because there's a lot of cats roaming around my neighborhood, but earlier I saw her again and noticed that she has 3 legs.

I felt pity for it and figured someone had to dispose her and she's roaming now. Anyway, I gave her some tuna and walked away. Saw through the window that she ate it and licked the bowl all over.

I went back to take the bowl and I wore gloves (Because I'm paranoid), and refilled it with the rest of the tuna can, when I suddenly touched the bowl by accident with my hands.

If you're a true hypochondriac, you can see where I'm going with this. My skin, in contact with dried feral cat spit. I washed my hands thoroughly, with alcohol and all, but still the thought is going around my mind - RABIES.

Cats are roaming, and come into contact with bats, and other cats. What if that cat contracted rabies? Can I get infected that way?

Lucinda07
21-02-16, 16:14
I believe it has to be a scratch or a bite which cuts the skin to pass on a virus.
Dried spittle (which was washed off immediately!) should not have an impact.

itwillbefine
21-02-16, 16:55
People in Europe do not get rabies. There is a risk in developing countries because of the huge number of stray dogs that live among humans. When people contract rabies in developing countries it's because many live in rural areas, where access to health care is limited.

The primary thing to consider with cats - in my opinion - is flees, mostly because flee bites are a bit nasty, not dangerous.

Just want to share a story to help ease your mood. I have the most wonderful cat who used to be feral. I fed him for two months before he trusted me enough to allow me to touch him. Now I have a good friend, who sleeps next to my pillow at night and is a huge comfort if I ever feel anxious.

mourningdove
21-02-16, 17:38
Rabies in not transferable via fomites. You would have to have been bitten. Rabies also does not live well outside of a host.

AnnieMags
21-02-16, 17:55
There is NO way you could contract rabies like this. The virus needs to get into your bloodstream through an open, bleeding wound. Almost the only way to deliver that is through being bitten by a rabid animal. The other way would be for a rabid animal to lick an already open wound. Neither has happened to you. Put it right out of your mind! Best wishes from Annie

Fishmanpa
21-02-16, 18:12
First off, thank you for being kind to a stray animal. We have a couple of feral cats living in our neighborhood and we put out dry food for them when we can. Two (a ginger and calico) were obviously pets at one point as they don't fear humans and are friendly.

Anyway.... your scenario? No... just no....

Positive thoughts

NotCool
21-02-16, 23:21
Thanks for all the replies. I know chances are really miniscule, but when it comes to rabies, I go out of control. I live near the forest, and in a country where every now and then you can still hear about rabies, although not nearly as much as in the previous century (or centuries).

The scenario that is rolling in my head right now, my train of thought, so to speak, is primarily the fact that my skin came into contact with the licked bowl, then probably at some point near my mouth (I have a habit of supporting my chin with left hand's thumb when sitting down), where I have a small wound on my lip (in cold weather my lips are dry and tend to crack sometimes).

I know it's pretty far out.

Fishmanpa
22-02-16, 00:03
I know it's pretty far out.

Like the other side of the universe far out ;) Well, if you want to continue to entertain this train of thought, that's your choice.

Take a read of Gary A's thread.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180072

Positive thoughts

mourningdove
22-02-16, 20:38
It's physically impossible. Like, physically impossible. The Rabies virus cannot survive on something like a plastic bowl. It has to be injected or somehow introduced DIRECTLY into your system. It's not like a rhinovirus where it can live on a counter until picked up by a living host.

NotCool
28-02-16, 20:48
Thanks for replies. Since then I've been feeding this cat daily, albeit I always wear gloves when handling its bowl, as I still fear potential diseases. Plan is to notify local animal shelter or something tomorrow, and to see if they can come, catch the animal, and give it a veterinarian check, and we'll see from there.

Regarding rabies fear, I'm still anxious about it, as usual, but besides these posts in this thread, this post also helped me.

It's a crosspost from Anxiety Zone, from the user "mollyfin". Maybe it will help someone else as well.

I've been seeing this pop up a lot lately, and I'm getting tired of writing the same reassurance replies over and over, so I'm just making a separate post and hope the right people see it! http://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/lachen001.gif

- You get rabies by being bitten by a rabid animal. There is an infinitesimal chance of transmission through scratches, if by some amazing event a brand-new scratch is doused in rabid saliva. But the odds of that are ridiculously small.

- The possibility of getting rabid saliva into your body in another random way is, well, not actually a possibility. A rabid bat did not drool on you from above, a rabid animal did not get their saliva on an object and leave the virus lurking for you.

- Even if they had, the virus doesn't live that long on a dry surface.

- Most wild animals don't carry rabies.

- Domestic animals left to run wild are even less likely to contract rabies.

- If they somehow do contract rabies, it will be very, very obvious. The animal will act erratically and aggressively, and be visibly abnormal/ill. You will not get rabies from a dog licking your hand, sneezing on you or rubbing against you, because rabid animals don't do that.

- Rabies is only transmittable when the animal is behaving like a stereotypical "mad dog," as described above. If the animal appears healthy, for all intents and purposes, it is.

- Bats are the size of birds. They are weighty, their wings are leathery, their bodies are furry. To have one run into you would be like having a tennis ball chucked at your head. If something went *plink* or *splat* against your face and you're thinking "Huh, I dunno what that was," it was a bug. If you think "HOLY ***** WHO THREW A FURRY FOOTBALL AT MY HEAD?!", okay, it may have been a bat.

- If you think you have a bat secretly chilling in the living areas of your house, you probably don't. Ever had a bird get inside? Or even a huge moth or fly? Big animals bumbling around in a panic call attention to themselves.

- If it's possible that you have bats in your attic, call an exterminator and fix whatever they got in from, but they're not likely to affect your life in the slightest. It's probably just some poor bat who has nowhere to go and figured your attic seemed like a good place. (Likewise, if you have an infestation in your garage, walls, etc, call an exterminator. Scared animals can be aggressive and it's not smart to tangle with them when you don't know what you're doing.) If it'll make you feel better, call your GP and ask about any possible risks. Running to the emergency room is not necessary. Neither is panicking and updating your will, then spending all your time obsessing over having rabies. The odds of getting rabies from a critter living in your house are virtually nonexistent.

- If you are bitten or scratched by a wild animal, then it is rational to seek prompt medical attention and receive precautionary rabies shots. That's common sense. Likewise, most doctors will recommend that if you have a bat in your house at all, you get vaccinated as a precaution. NOT BECAUSE YOU WILL LIKELY GET RABIES, but because it's standard procedure.

- If you're bitten by a dog or cat, it's also smart to see a doctor. They may suggest a precautionary rabies vaccination if you're not sure if the dog has had its shots, but more likely they will just give you an antibiotic, because deep animal bites (especially cat bites) get infected very easily.

- Don't bother stray animals and don't try to touch them. For god's sake, if you're this worried about rabies, don't try to pet that strange dog or cat. You know you'll panic if you get scratched, licked or bitten. They won't give you rabies, but they WILL give you a raging case of pointless anxiety.

- There's a reason the number of rabies cases in the USA per year is in the single digits. RABIES IS VERY RARE. It's rare in animals and exceedingly rare in humans.

You don't have rabies. Best of luck treating your anxiety.

Source: http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=109761.0

MyNameIsTerry
29-02-16, 05:03
But lets just remember in the UK - bats are a protected species so no calling in an exterminator!

I'm guessing that is a post from another country than ours as rabies is extremely rare for us unless you are handling bats professionally and even then its been many years since a case.

NotCool
05-03-16, 21:54
I'm still feeding the cat. Still haven't called the shelter to see if they can catch it and take care of it medically (vaccines and other stuff). So far I don't think the cat is showing any weird symptoms or behavior, apart from a few innocent "hisses" at me, so I don't think it's sick. Besides, it's been almost 2 weeks since my first post, so if the animal hasn't acted aggressively/strangely, then it's healthy, thus not being a danger, right. I wear gloves every time I handle the feeding/drinking bowl, and I find myself washing my hands excessively.

Can I vaccinate myself as a preventative measure?

Fishmanpa
05-03-16, 22:22
Can I vaccinate myself as a preventative measure?

:huh: Why?....

Positive thoughts

NotCool
10-03-16, 00:25
Nevermind, just a momentary moment of madness. :)