PDA

View Full Version : Pain around liver, really scared.

citygirl1
21-02-16, 17:37
Posted a couple of times here in recent weeks and guess my stress is building up again as I have an ultrasound appt this Thursday and my pain is pretty bad today. Has anyone had this horrible dull ache that goes around the right side of the abdomen and into the back?

To give a bit of background. I have been a classic "weekend drinker" probably for around 20 years. Over the past 2-3 years I have started to get this ache around the liver area. Around 2 and a half years ago I started experiencing this pain, and had blood tests, a CT and an MRI. They said my organs were fine but they did see I had a cyst in my abdomen and a bruised stomach muscle. No treatment was needed at that time. Anyway the pain is still there, and seemed to be worse after a glass of wine, so I have cut out alcohol completely. The pain is still there. Anyway I'm basically assuming the worst as usual and diagnosing myself with cancer or cirrhosis. I got my blood results back 2 weeks ago which said everything was fine, apart from low iron and vitamin d levels.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or had any thoughts.

nirvanainchains
21-02-16, 18:51
I am suffering right now. A dull excruciating pain in my right abdomen just below the right rib that radiates to the back. I also have this hiccups and kind of sore throat sensation. I am guessing that this is Reflux flaring up again but damn it, this dull ache won't let me sleep, I am really in pain. :(

citygirl1
21-02-16, 19:15
I take it you've been diagnosed with reflux before?

I'm just assuming that because pain is in this area I must have some sort of damage to my liver.

citygirl1
22-02-16, 16:34
Anyone?

Lifelonganxiety!
22-02-16, 17:18
Yes, I've had pain around my liver area (just under my ribs, sometimes down the midline of stomach) for about 18 months now. It comes and goes. Some days I'll feel it, then I can go a week or more without it.

I am considered a heavy drinker (trying to change!!) and went for an ultrasound - they found I had fatty liver, which isn't an entirely uncommon issue.

The pain I get ranges from stinging to crampy.

I've had it a long time and nothing has progressed. Yes I need to change my habits a lot, but what I'm saying is this is entirely possible and doesn't have to be the worst thing you think it might be.

I'm reaching the conclusion that it's more likely IBS, gas or GERD. You're doing the right thing in getting it checked, but nobody here can diagnose you. Just try to relax and wait for the doctor to check you out.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Also - how's your posture? I squash that area up against a desk all day, then when I'm relaxing I have a tendency to lean to the right, and at night sleep on my side where the pillows force a curve of the spine and squash my abdomen a little.

Do that for 20 years and your body might just be telling you to sit up straight, stop slouching and do some stretching!

citygirl1
22-02-16, 18:09
I know I have to wait for the scan to see what it says. Just seem to be ticking a lot of boxes for liver problems. Do you know if the person doing the ultrasound would be able to give any indication when I go on Thursday?

Lifelonganxiety!
22-02-16, 18:31
They're not supposed to, no.

You're assuming too much. Cirrhosis takes a long time to develop. You would likely have seen warning signs on your last MRI / CT scans 2 years ago.

Liver cancer is rare, and doesn't present with pain initially. You would have a lot of other issues right now if that's what it is.

citygirl1
22-02-16, 19:36
I know. Will just need to bide my time and see what ultrasound cones back with. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.

sammie13s
22-02-16, 23:23
Have you had a scan on your gallbladder and kidneys recently? Could be gallstones or kidney stones. I had pain in the same area and it turned out it was kidney stones xx

citygirl1
23-02-16, 09:35
I go for an abdominal ultrasound on Thursday sammie, so I'm taking it that will be checked then. When I had an MRI a couple of years ago it found an abdominal cyst. But I believe most cysts don't cause pain.

citygirl1
25-02-16, 09:29
So have my ultrasound today. Feeling pretty anxious about it all. My side is achy today too. Guess I will find out soon enough what's going on.

nirvanainchains
25-02-16, 11:02
I have undergone Adbdominal Ultrasound by the way, the finding was excessive gas, fatty liver, and fatty gallbladder, the Doctor said I am fine,she said maybe the pain I was experiencing was Reflux or Bloating. She gave me a med caled “Spasmomen” . As I remember, Spasmomen is for those who has IBS.

tamo
25-02-16, 11:47
I had an ultrasound for a suspected inguinal hernia and the technician told me there and then there was no hernia present or anything else wrong for that matter . I cant be sure but I think the person who does the ultrasound is more qualified than say the people who do normal xray.

citygirl1
25-02-16, 16:53
That's it done. No results been told gp will have the report in 7-10 days.

ItsNick
25-02-16, 18:17
I hope all turns out well for you! I'm sure everything will check out normal and if not, it won't be very serious!

Best wishes!!!

citygirl1
25-02-16, 20:22
Thanks nick. Here's hoping. :flowers:

Sapphires
26-02-16, 16:23
Hi 😊
Just wondering if you went in for the ultrasound and how it went? I don't know where my liver is but symptoms sound similar.
Hope it went well for you!

Lifelonganxiety!
26-02-16, 16:41
Your liver is on your right side as you look down at your body. It goes from the middle of your abdomen across to the right at the bottom of your rib cage (some of it is behind the ribs). It's pretty big.

Sapphires
26-02-16, 18:13
Sorry I am new and just realized there was a second page. ��

Toots24
26-02-16, 18:57
I get pain around my liver from time to time, it can be either on left or right side and sometimes even around the back. It can be quite painful and is sometimes a stinging pain. I mentioned it to my doc who said it could be gallstones, it can be quite scary. Hope your results are okay

citygirl1
26-02-16, 21:16
Thanks everyone. Waiting game at the moment. Said 7-10 days for results. Just praying everything is OK.

citygirl1
03-03-16, 16:48
Got ultrasound results back today with No Further action required. So a clear ultrasound and bloods. Delighted with that but still sore!:ohmy:

ItsNick
03-03-16, 16:50
Yes!! I'm so happy to hear that. At least maybe it'll put your mind at ease?

citygirl1
03-03-16, 17:07
Definitely. Just a bit frustrated as to why I still have the pain. Looks like it must be some sort of muscular problem perhaps.

Bakebeansrule
03-03-16, 18:40
I'm so glad your results were clear, have you tried a hot water bottle? Sounds silly but it's really helped me when I had rib pain

citygirl1
04-03-16, 20:28
Will definitely give it a try!

Lifelonganxiety!
04-03-16, 22:55
Great news. I think it's a muscular thing as well. I get the same, slouched all day and pain in that area. I lean to the right and have to tell myself to stretch.

Look into things like stretching your ribs and so on. Glad you're OK!

citygirl1
07-03-16, 21:26
Thank you! Really appreciate all your kind and supportive posts.

Bkv1182
07-03-16, 22:16
I have had this same exact problem for about 3 years... Get an ultrasound once a year and bloodwork every 6 months and it's always normal. This time last year I had a really bad flare up and thought they would find something this time for sure.. But ultrasound and blood/urine was normal again.

I think it is either, reflux, IBS, muscular.. Or all in my head... For me the symptoms started when I was under extreme stress, my dad was dying of cancer that had spread to his liver.

I get pain under my ribs on the right side, pain on the right sife of my sternum, on the right flank, and in my upper back on the right side.... Other than that I usually feel fine.

From what I have read pain alone is usually not the first symptom of liver disease.. I'd tell you what they are but then you might end up getting them (in your head)...