PDA

View Full Version : Any Parkinsons "experts" here?

rahul718
21-02-16, 19:23
Hey guys,

Two weeks ago I went to a neurologist for a MS concern since my older brother has it. He did an in-office neuro exam and same day MRI. Both exams came back clear. I was thrilled about that for a few days. Then I resorted back to my Parkinsons Disease fear that I also had. I'm a 30year old East Indian male by the way.

I don't have any of the hallmark PD signs but here are two things that bother me:

- when I try to hold my head absolutely still while sitting without any head support, I'll notice my head sway VERY slightly a millimeter or so. I do this my closing one eye, and using an object as a "marker" with the other eye to see how far my head will move. I know breathing will obviously do this, but can there be other reasons? Sometimes when I try really hard to keep my head 100% still, I'll get a twitch in my head that will cause movement. i wouldn't say there's a consistent tremor though. Is this anything to worry about?. Is it normal to not be able to hold your head completely absolutely still with no movement at all?

- I've always stuttered slightly as a kid. My wife said it happens very very rarely but my dad told my wife yesterday "I always told him to take care of his stuttering as a kid and he never listened. This makes me believe I did it in front of him and he noticed it. Is stuttering a presenting symptom of Parkinsons?

I weightlift/power lift at the gym and have been doing so for years. I haven't noticed any issues with my performance in this area and I can still run on the treadmill, walk on my toes, walk on my rear heels, touch the tip of my nose with my eyes closed.

Would my neuro have caught PD when I went to him for MS?

I'm going back to him in two weeks about this now but in the meantime any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Fishmanpa
21-02-16, 19:41
Unless you're dead, you cannot hold any part of yourself totally still. We're living beings with blood coursing through our veins and arteries. Our chests rise and fall with breath, our eyes move, our eardrums move with the slightest sound.

You have clear scientific medical tests and a medical professional with years of experience giving you his professional opinion. You don't have MS nor Parkinsons. I'm not an expert but I think without being encumbered with HA.

Positive thoughts

rahul718
21-02-16, 20:13
Unless you're dead, you cannot hold any part of yourself totally still. We're living beings with blood coursing through our veins and arteries. Our chests rise and fall with breath, our eyes move, our eardrums move with the slightest sound.

You have clear scientific medical tests and a medical professional with years of experience giving you his professional opinion. You don't have MS nor Parkinsons. I'm not an expert but I think without being encumbered with HA.

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishman,
Thanks for replying.
The issue is I was tested for MS, not Parkinsons. This is why I'm in a spiral now.

Fishmanpa
21-02-16, 20:23
Hi Fishman,
Thanks for replying.
The issue is I was tested for MS, not Parkinsons. This is why I'm in a spiral now.

Well.... you say yourself you have absolutely no hallmark symptoms. So, you can continue to chase a diagnosis that will never come or treat the real illness.

Positive thoughts

rahul718
21-02-16, 20:45
Well.... you say yourself you have absolutely no hallmark symptoms. So, you can continue to chase a diagnosis that will never come or treat the real illness.

Positive thoughts

No traditional hallmark symptoms but I worry I might me the one with the rare onset

Fishmanpa
21-02-16, 20:50
No traditional hallmark symptoms but I worry I might me the one with the rare onset

You've had this "fear" for well over a year. I recall you posting about this on another forum. Reassurance doesn't work as you posted about this less than two weeks ago.

I wish there were "words" that could help but "Writing is one thing, doing is another". Perhaps therapy and/or meds can help you deal with your fears and thoughts in a more positive manner.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

Gary A
21-02-16, 22:53

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180072