PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or CFS

ServerError
22-02-16, 00:42
Hi all,

As I write this, I'm lying awake in bed on holiday in Iceland (I'm from the UK) and am struggling to sleep. Right now, if someone could tell me I genuinely have an anxiety disorder, I'd actually be calmed.

A few weeks ago, I had a panic attack at work. It came out of the blue and frightened the life out of me. Since then, I've had blood tests, urine tests, ECGs a CT scan - all came back clear. I should add that, after the initial attack, I was unable to shake off anxious thoughts and feelings, as well as feeling physically knocked for six. I eventually got myself admitted to hospital, where the tests were done. They discharged me a day later and plan to do an MRI 'to reassure' me, but my discharge forms said I was suffering anxiety brought on by the panic attack.

Since then, I've continued to feel unwell and anxious. I've had a few moments close to panic, although nothing like the first occasion.

I feel like if it was just anxiety, it should come and go, ebb and glow, rise and fall. It does do this to a degree, but there's always something there. I just don't feel right, physically or mentally.

I'm really scared I Have CFS or one of the related conditions. I don't sleep well and never have since I was a kid, I feel really weary in the mornings, although I'm always able to rise. I then feel sleepy during the day, though it does rise and fall and doesn't noticeably impair me too much.

I didn't have flu-like symptoms at the first attack, but I did have quite a bad cold about two weeks before. I've also noticed a slight snuffliness recently (although I would dismiss it if I felt my normal self). No actual pain anywhere.

I've also had undiagnosed depression for a long time, or at least on and off very low feelings. I'd say for at least a decade. I've never considered self-harm and always felt on top of it. Indeed, although I have a low opinion of my physical appearance, lots of social anxiety and see myself as unappealing to the opposite sex, my overall view of myself as a person is positive, which really scares me, because I know what this could mean.

Could I just be experiencing health anxiety following on from the first panic attack and subsequent events? I've not experienced chest pains or shortness of breath very much. Do feel nauseous, especially after yawning. My appetite has died right down. At times I've thought I had MS, Parkinsons, Hodgkinsons, Motor Neurone Disease and schizophrenia, all in the past three weeks.

In my more peaceful moments, I'm comfortable with the idea of anxiety and panic. I feel I understand them and can handle much of what they offer. But when I think of the symptoms of CFS and then think of how bad my sleep has always been and how weary I often feel, it terrifies me.

Can anyone offer any words of advice/opinion/even reassurance?

Oh, I'm 31 and male.

Thanks in advance...

shirlp
22-02-16, 01:44
I think, and I'm not a doctor. That u are anxious of having another big panic attack, which scares u thus making the anxiety worse.. If u read up in posts on here u will see a whole host of things anxiety can cause. I myself suffer horrible pains/ sensations in my head.. I hope u can distract yourself enough to relax x

Jascared
22-02-16, 04:23
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. But what you're explaining here is most definitely anxiety. Panic attacks occur out of the blue. and then after, all these physical symptoms occur which are very unusual and annoying. Try to think positively and do more things to relax yourself. Block out the things that stress you out. You're healthy as the doctors said; so try not to worry!

positive thoughts xx

Allochka
22-02-16, 06:51
This is pure, textbook health anxiety and panic attacks!
I am sorry you are feeling this way, it ruins your holiday. But there is nothing physically wrong with you. However, be careful stating you can handle what they have to,offer - these mental conditions can be quite debilitating and should be taken care of.
Food luck and get well!

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-16, 07:34
Indeed, although I have a low opinion of my physical appearance, lots of social anxiety and see myself as unappealing to the opposite sex, my overall view of myself as a person is positive, which really scares me, because I know what this could mean.

Why would having a positive view of yourself scare you? What do you fear it could mean?

Schizophrenia is a common worry but the fact it, you know there is a problem here and someone experiencing an episode or psychosis or delusion would be completely absorbed by and not question it - it would be others getting you to help.

As you say your fatigued issues come & go and don't impair your life. CFS can do, so it seems unlikely. Has this worry only come about since the initial panic attack by any chance? If so, I think that's going to just be another worry from the anxiety.

You've mentioned about social anxiety. Anxiety tends to branch out into other areas the longer you suffer from it, it attaches itself to other elements of your life as it becomes more complex. It lives of making associations, and that's how it works in the brain anyway by expanding fears. So, this could be an extension of that existing worry & anxiety. Especially if you have been under a lot of stress.

This is still pretty new. Right now there is a good chance to head this off at the pass and prevent it developing into a longer term disorder. Try to use guided self help tips and look up CBT (perhaps use a HA workbook?) and prevent it cementing itself, it's much harder to deal with years later when it's ingrained...as we all know on here!

ServerError
22-02-16, 12:29
Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm currently out on an excursion and feeling much more relaxed. There is anxiety there, but it's coming and going and I'm just letting it be, leaving it alone and not questioning it. If I'm to have a panic attack at any point, I accept it and will see myself on the other side.

I see last night for what it was - classic health anxiety. I'm clambering over snowy rocks and hiking wintry trails today and not feeling that tired, so it seems unlikely I have CFS.

I was scared of the fact that my view of myself is generally positive because I'm aware that those with CFS can appear to have depression but lack feelings of low self worth. It seemed to fit when I was being anxious last night.

I'm on medication and seeing a therapist. I'm also about to begin CBT on the NHS. I've done some reading, especially Paul David's books, which at least give me the belief I will come to no harm and can do things. Hell, I'm still managing to enjoy my holiday and I was back at work last week.

I hope things don't descend into the hell they do for some people. I'm just going to do my best to keep on living without adding extra worry or constantly fighting how I feel, and put some faith in my doctor and the therapy. Hopefully that will serve me well.

Thanks again.