PDA

View Full Version : Horrible symptoms that all point to MS

Blackstar
22-02-16, 09:52
Morning everyone. This is a long post, so I apologise, but thank you for reading.

After a relatively blissful few years of low anxiety, I am now in full-on meltdown mode. True, I've had a stressful few months but nothing hugely out of the ordinary, and it doesn't explain the symptoms I'm having.

Also, I fully appreciate that anxiety can cause a host of symptoms, but these arrived when I felt okay and are not made worse or better by being either super-panicky or really chilled. They are always there.

So, I've had dizzy feelings for ages and ages. After seeking reassurance I tried to believe it was due to a stiff neck, inner ear problems or 'just one of those things'. Then came the flickering vision. A couple of perfect eye tests later and I've learned to just deal with it, but now it's like my vision is oscillating, which is different a very disconcerting. Then lately came the shakes. The other week I was just going about my business at the supermarket when I suddenly came over all shaky, mostly internal but some tremor in my hands (from the huge surge of panic I got?). This has happened a few times out of nowhere, and now I've started getting horrible internal shaking / vibrating when I wake up. It happened several times last night and isn't normal for me. Along with the shakes has come the pins and needles, first in my feet, then in my hands. It's made worse by movement, or by touching things, like a mild electric shock and buzzing.

Now, I've tried to stay calm but I am pretty convinced that when you take all these together that it's indicative of MS - which is one of my biggest health fears. I am the perfect demographic - female, 38 years old, northern hemisphere, history of autoimmune disease. I'm seeing the GP this Wednesday but it's just so hard to get on with life as I'm so anxious and panicky about it. It's hard to stay focused at work (I feel like telling my boss to eff off and leave me alone - not very professional!) and I can't enjoy social events as I'm too worried :weep:

I don't know what I'm really seeking as I know you can't diagnose! But it helps to just write this and know that you will all at least understand the terror of health anxiety. Although, if you have any words if wisdom from your own experience or tips on how to cope (I currently practise mindful meditation), then that would be most welcome.

Thank you for reading :)

WiseMonkey
22-02-16, 12:56
Hi Blackstar, I had very similar symptoms when I was your age without the eye problems and I too was convinced I had MS. I had the buzzing, shaking, muscle spasms and extreme sound sensitivity, dizziness and patches of numbness on my face. The soles of my feet were desensitised as well. My Dr sent me to a neurologist who ordered an MRI scan which was clear of any MS spinal plaques, I was so relieved.

The neurologist suggested I research CFS which is an autoimmune disorder and I was diagnosed with that in 1996. I also have a couple of other AI issues too as well as anxiety issues around health.

I hope you can get this sorted soon with a positive outcome, take care.

Blackstar
22-02-16, 13:44
Hello there WiseMonkey, and thank you so much for your reply.

I'm so glad that you found answers to explain your symptoms! Although I'm sure that living with CFS is no fun whatsoever :unsure:

I am trying not to freak out too badly but as I'm sure you know it's easier said than done! It is hard when you already have one AI disorder as you are, or you feel, more likely to develop another. I will live in hope and will be sure to keep you posted!

Anna. x

Blackstar
24-02-16, 10:02
Hello again everyone,

Well I went to the doctor today and, after having to defend myself against the 'oh you're just anxious' argument, he's referred me to a neurologist. I'm not sure how I feel about it - the doctor seemed reluctant until I asked "What would you do if I wasn't an anxious person", and he agreed that he would be making a referral because the symptoms all fit.

I'm also having blood tests to either diagnose or rule out something like diabetes or B12 deficiency, so I'm trying to stay positive until I have those results (won't be for around 3 weeks!).

I'm feeling very odd...sort of detached, like I want to cry but can't summon up the emotion. Maybe it'll come later.

Thanks for reading, as always :)

Anna. x

SoraStar
26-02-16, 23:57
Hey Blackstar, sorry to hear you going through all those horrible things. I, myself, have several of the symptoms you do. Flickering vision, twitching & shakey muscles, hands, feet.. etc

I hope you find out more from the Neurologist! Keep us posted! I'd really like to hear what you found out. :-)

Blackstar
29-02-16, 10:37
Thanks SoraStar :)

I will be sure to keep you posted. I did have an eye test a couple of days ago that didn't show anything untoward with my eyes, but I am still not sure why I get the flickering and oscillating vision. I figure it is my brain being weird, not my eyes!

Blood tests next week so that's the next step. I'll let you know the outcome :)

FamilyMan
29-02-16, 23:59
So, I've had dizzy feelings for ages and ages. After seeking reassurance I tried to believe it was due to a stiff neck, inner ear problems or 'just one of those things'. Then came the flickering vision. A couple of perfect eye tests later and I've learned to just deal with it, but now it's like my vision is oscillating, which is different a very disconcerting. Then lately came the shakes. The other week I was just going about my business at the supermarket when I suddenly came over all shaky, mostly internal but some tremor in my hands (from the huge surge of panic I got?). This has happened a few times out of nowhere, and now I've started getting horrible internal shaking / vibrating when I wake up. It happened several times last night and isn't normal for me. Along with the shakes has come the pins and needles, first in my feet, then in my hands. It's made worse by movement, or by touching things, like a mild electric shock and buzzing.

I get those symptoms too. Flickering vision, but only when I'm really panicking, almost like a strobe effect. Recently I've had muscle vibrations. It feels like its literally all over, but if I hold my hand out then I don't see anything visibly shaking. Having a nap makes it much worse for some reason. I've got it in my head that my eyes must be very slightly trembling too (I don't even know if that is actually possible) and that's why my vision/focus never feels relaxed at any distance.

I have a good friend who was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago. My symptoms are nothing like hers. Try to not to worry. I hope your doc appointment goes OK.