PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Sertraline

anxiousrob
22-02-16, 10:50
So I've been taking Sertraline for about a year, its been the only medication that has helped my anxiety.

I've always had low to mild anxiety, but 18 months ago it kicked in big time and left me a mess!

Just lately i'm feeling nearly back to my old self (i'm 95%).

Im just after some advise from others, as i'm concerned that if I wean myself off these tablets my anxiety will come back... and ill be back to square one?

Am I destined to be on these forever?

Fishmanpa
22-02-16, 12:23
That's a great to hear that things are going so much better! Concerning coming off, there's a lot of information on how to do so, tapering off etc. but consulting your doctor (or therapist) would be wise. Did you have therapy or CBT? I ask because for me, meds were more like a pair of crutches that helped walk until I learned how to deal with things and walk on my own through therapy.

Depending on the medication and what its treating, some people are on meds for life. I am for physical issues. I took Zoloft for 6 months while in therapy. My sister has been on Prozac for ten years. It's totally an individual situation.. everyone is different.

Positive thoughts

anxiousrob
22-02-16, 12:40
My GP referred me to a talking clinic called Poesis, appointments were only available once a month for half an hour! (no use!) so I paid to go to see a private therapist.

She was very helpful and taught me techniques to deal with the onset of a panic attack, we looked at my Phobias too.

But I started to feel better once my sessions had finished with her, I was doing to much research and spending to much time in the forums. I read a comment that stuck with me.

" you will only get better, once you stop trying to get better"

So I backed off and it seems to be working

Fishmanpa
22-02-16, 13:15
My GP referred me to a talking clinic called Poesis, appointments were only available once a month for half an hour! (no use!) so I paid to go to see a private therapist.

She was very helpful and taught me techniques to deal with the onset of a panic attack, we looked at my Phobias too.

But I started to feel better once my sessions had finished with her, I was doing to much research and spending to much time in the forums. I read a comment that stuck with me.

" you will only get better, once you stop trying to get better"

So I backed off and it seems to be working

That's some real progress.. Good going! Again, speak with your doctor or give your therapist a call and discuss the meds question. I was much the same. After 6 months of therapy and meds, I was discharged and advised I could come off the meds. I was taking 100mg and was tapered off in a months time. Oddly, coming off was the first time I felt side effects (brain zaps, dizziness etc.) and the realization that I was "drugged" hit me.

Glad to hear you're doing so well. I hope it encourages others.

Positive thoughts

anxiousrob
22-02-16, 13:57
Thankyou... Yeah I didn't realise how far id come.

KeeKee
22-02-16, 14:06
I took antidepressants for almost 6 years and come off 22 months ago. My depression has come back but I think it's more my life situation that being med free (they never worked particularly well for me anyway, bar blunting all my emotions).
I never got any of the typical side effects going on or coming off the three meds I tried (such as head zaps) yet I gained a lot of weight (which is supposed to be rare), lost my libido so we are all different. If your anxiety has been helped by other means too then I can't see why it'd be an issue. The good thing about coming off meds is you can always go back on if it doesn't work for you. Paroxetine only took around 2 weeks to kick in for me and would be handy for someone who felt they couldn't wait.

rbm
22-02-16, 19:11
Its my problem too, i feel fine with sertraline but my 6 mths are almost up and i don't know what to do...doc says i could try without meds for a while see what happens .with my peace of mind in the balance, i'd rather not risk losing it.sorry i can't help you or myself for that matter....

jimsmrs
24-02-16, 15:56
Always speak to your GP when deciding coming off, and do it slowly.

I'm in the process of coming off Sertraline after 4 years, it seems they were clashing with my Levothyroxine, giving me anxiety, diarrhea, nausea, brain fog and no appetite, felt as though I was going backwards!!!! GP said with my Thyroid now stable, it may be time to come off them.

I was on 50mg of Sertraline so GP wants me to snap them in half for 6 weeks, then buy a pill cutter and break the half in half and wean off that way.

If it's done too quickly then your brain looks for them which will cause problems.

Since I've started to reduce them, I feel so much better, no more symptoms.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!