PDA

View Full Version : So worried - please help!!!

Mojo61
22-02-16, 15:10
I'm convinced I have a rare tumour called a pheochromocytoma. I have a lot of the symptoms but my doctor has put it all down to anxiety. I have nothing to be anxious over, I don't understand how it can just be anxiety. I had blood tests and the only thing that came back slightly high was my white cell count but again the doctor didn't seem bothered and didn't offer any further tests. He just wants me to take anti depressants but I tried them and after a few days I gave up because I couldn't take the increased anxiety. I feel nervous all day, every day and the only time it eases up is at night time when it gets dark. I'm not sleeping and I can't eat - I'm desperate for help but nobody wants to know.

Gary A
22-02-16, 15:23
Nervous all day? Not sleeping? Can't eat?

Sounds like anxiety to me, and with all of that comes symptoms, physical ones that are very unpleasant. A lot of the symptoms of anxiety can resemble those of a pheochromocytoma, mostly because of the involvement of the adrenal glands. Adrenaline plays a huge role in anxiety and panic, so it's easy to see why the two are comparible.

You said the key word though. That word being "rare". pheochromocytomas are very rare, anxiety and associated symptoms are very common.

Scaredme
22-02-16, 16:12
I often ask myself this question;

why is it, my mind can't grasp, that it is extremely unlikely that I have "x-decease" which is extremely uncommon, and only 1 symptom is kiiiinda showing.
ALTHOUGH I show ALL the symptoms of health anxiety and general anxiety, but still my brain say "noooo that's unlikely".

It's so odd

Mojo61
22-02-16, 18:18
Thanks guys. I think I must have anxiety because my symptoms wore off as they usually do in the evening (the only time I get a brief respite from the torment) but then I spoke to my neighbour whose husband has had really bad shoulder pain for months and recently had a blood test which showed he was anaemic. Anyway, now he has found lumps in his neck and abdomen and when she told me that all my anxiety feelings came back. I lost both my mum and husband to brain cancer and I'm wondering if I just have a phobia to that particular disease? Sorry to waffle on!

Carnation
22-02-16, 18:57
Mojo61,

Anxiety likes to hit us when we are not expecting it and when we are not even particularly stressed at the time. It has something to do with our sub-conscious mind; our memory.
That's why a lot of the people on here ask why the symptoms and feelings come out when we are just sitting and relaxing; it's because the sub-conscious mind kicks in and attacks.

Mojo61
22-02-16, 18:59
Thank you carnation. I am new to all this (only started getting it last November, never had anything like it in my life) so I'm still learning.

Carnation
22-02-16, 19:12
Mojo61,

The GP's don't really explain Anxiety to you in detail, if at all, so this Forum is a good source of info and comfort. :)

Mojo61
22-02-16, 19:42
You are right. All he did was chuck a load of antidepressants at me and told me to get on with it.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Start CBT tomorrow. Had to pay privately in the end as couldn't wait any longer on the NHS :(

Fishmanpa
22-02-16, 20:25
I'm convinced I have a rare tumour called a pheochromocytoma.

Someone has been Googling :whistles:

You say you're having trouble believing this is anxiety but you're posting on an anxiety forum so somewhere deep down I think you know it is.

Also, you said you're not anxious and in the same breath said the meds made you "more anxious" so I'm thinking your doctor is right. Meds will sometimes increase your anxiety initially but you have to ride it our for a few weeks so they can begin to work.

I hope you give them another shot and best wishes for feeling better soon. I'm glad to see you'll be getting CBT. It's helped a lot of sufferers.

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
23-02-16, 08:58
Mojo61,

Anxiety likes to hit us when we are not expecting it and when we are not even particularly stressed at the time. It has something to do with our sub-conscious mind; our memory.
That's why a lot of the people on here ask why the symptoms and feelings come out when we are just sitting and relaxing; it's because the sub-conscious mind kicks in and attacks.

I can't agree anymore with this statement. When I'm anxious I get the fast hearty, right chest symptoms which I can associate with anxiety but other times I'm having a good few weeks beating this and hey ho I suddenely have a head zap or twinge here or my ear or eye will ache or a tingle.