PDA

View Full Version : O.C.D or just stupidity?

RossA93
22-02-16, 22:43
Hi everyone! A majority of you will probably laugh at this and say It's pathetic (believe me even I think It's pathetic) but anyway... I'm a HUGE gamer, and anything I own console/game related I like to keep In perfect condition, my girlfriend bought me a game recently and the game sleeve (piece of paper) Is slightly bent, you can't even notice It unless you look for It! But knowing that this slight bend In the paper Is there Is making me want to sell this copy I have now and buy a brand new copy so the paper Is In perfect condition, I know I'm being silly but It's really bothering me :( can anyone give me any advice?? Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-16, 05:04
No, it's not pathetic at all. In fact, regarding yourself as pathetic due to this is a negative thing and negative reinforces anxiety. Plus OCD is largely founded on perfectionism anyway so whether it's a £30k car or a bit of paper in a video game, it's irrelevant because the core issue is the same.

One thing is sure, if you give into the compulsion to change it, you only reinforce the need to do it next time. Plus I bet you will be feeling some guilt because it was a gift from your GF and it may eat away at you needing to tell her. (confession is a compulsion too in OCD so some may struggle with this as well)

She has subjected you to an exposure exercise here without realising. But perhaps it's a good thing? Perhaps you can use your feelings for your GF to challenge this and how you wouldn't want to upset her? Why not wait it out, play the game and hopefully enjoy it? Then use that enjoyment element to reinforce the good behind this?

MaxieP
23-02-16, 10:25
Hi there, I can relate to this too and I would do exactly the same. I like to keep everything in perfect condition too and get annoyed when there are finger marks on things, let alone when there is slight damage, so wanting to replace something like that seems the right thing to do as far as I can see. It's what puts your mind at rest, after all.

Phuzella
23-02-16, 13:12
But as Terry said, selling it would raise even more issues, like guilt and the need to confess. These two things are, in my opinion, among the worst things about OCD

it'sgoingtobeokay
25-02-16, 20:50
I don't think that's unusual at all. When most people purchase something, in store, for themselves they pick mint condition items.

I have OCD, I do the same thing when i'm out. Not just making the choice not to purchase chipped items but if something looks handled and I have the option to choose something mint condition, I will.

Trigger
29-02-16, 10:36
Hi RossA93,

I can totally relate to your post. I have the same OCD symptoms - I like all my possessions to be kept in pristine and mint condition and it causes severe anxiety if my possessions become damaged in anyway. I then experience a compulsion to replace the items. Sometimes I give in to the compulsions and other times I'm strong enough to override them.

It causes a strain on my relationship with my partner as I don't like them (or anyone else for that matter) touching my prized possessions in case they inadvertently damage them. I know it's ridiculous and I've tried really hard to change my thought patterns and confront the OCD head-on but seem unable to make any progress.

MyNameIsTerry
29-02-16, 10:52
I don't think that's unusual at all. When most people purchase something, in store, for themselves they pick mint condition items.

I have OCD, I do the same thing when i'm out. Not just making the choice not to purchase chipped items but if something looks handled and I have the option to choose something mint condition, I will.

But like he said:

, my girlfriend bought me a game recently and the game sleeve (piece of paper) Is slightly bent, you can't even notice It unless you look for It! But knowing that this slight bend In the paper Is there Is making me want to sell this copy I have now and buy a brand new copy so the paper Is In perfect condition, I know I'm being silly but It's really bothering me :( can anyone give me any advice?? Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)

We choose to buy new in store or we choose to buy second hand. But we are choosing, not being driven by an obsession based on perfectionism that is forcing us to do something irrational when we know we don't need to do it.