PDA

View Full Version : I Bit My Tongue In Middle Of Night?

worriednow22
23-02-16, 16:48
Hey! I woke up this morning with a pain on the side of my tongue. Looking in the mirror, I saw a bite mark. It was a small area but a bite for sure. Nothing too extreme and it doesn't seem to be bleeding. But I got to thinking. I am 32 years old and have never ever bitten my tongue in the middle of the night until now.

Of course, I looked on Google and it seems everyone is talking about seizures with this. Teeth grinding too can cause it. I have a history of biting in the inside of my cheeks in the middle of the night. That has been going on my whole life. But never ever have I bitten my tongue. It also worries me that it didn't wake me up. Or perhaps it did and I did it right before waking up? I don't know. Now I am really worried I had a seizure or something. This has never happened before. If I bit my tongue, how come it took 32 years for it to happen?

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Also on the under side of my tongue, there is a piece of skin dangling down. Just on one side. I think it's related to my tongue biting. I am kinda worried about this more than ever. Why didn't I wake up when I bit my tongue? I am a light sleeper, surely I would have waken up during the bite? Just doesn't make sense. I hope this wasn't a seizure.

worriednow22
23-02-16, 20:59
Could I have just bit my tongue during a dream and not woken up right away? I might have actually woken up right away. I looked in the mirror and there was a bite mark without any swelling. 10 Mins later I couldn't even really see the bite marks, my tongue was swollen with a bump in the bite area. If the bite mark changed that quickly, it must have been fresh right?

HopelessWorrier2011
23-02-16, 21:49
Seizure being the cause is right at the bottom of the pile if even there. The likely cause is you have bitten it yourself whilst sleeping. If your a deep sleeper you wouldn't have felt a thing. sleeping puts us in a relaxed state including our muscles, if you have bitten your tongue your brain wouldn't have registered the pain the same as if you had done this whilst awake x

worriednow22
23-02-16, 23:03
Seizure being the cause is right at the bottom of the pile if even there. The likely cause is you have bitten it yourself whilst sleeping. If your a deep sleeper you wouldn't have felt a thing. sleeping puts us in a relaxed state including our muscles, if you have bitten your tongue your brain wouldn't have registered the pain the same as if you had done this whilst awake x

Thanks. That's what I assumed too. But....the internet forums all over sure do make it sound like a seizure. People all say you would have woken up during the bite. That kinda makes sense to me too. Now I don't know if I am having seizures or this was just a fluke tongue bite? The worst part is I could have another seizure that could be months down the road.

So I am "never" going to be out in the clear so to speak. I just cannot find much info online about tongue bites in middle of the night without waking someone being anything besides a seizure. I am just hoping it did wake me up. I did kinda wake up suddenly this morning and instantly noticed the pain in my tongue. Not only that, my tongue had no swelling when I first saw th bite mark. Ten minutes later it had turned into a swollen bump. Wouldn't that signal the bite was fresh?

Fishmanpa
23-02-16, 23:53
With respect... you bit your tongue... That's it. It happens. Whether it happened while awake or asleep is not relevant nor is the fact it hasn't happened in 32 years. There's a first time for everything. Some people grind their teeth at night and that's probably the main reason. Personally, I've had it happen more times than I can count in my life awake and asleep. It's nothing other than you bit your tongue and it will heal.

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
24-02-16, 02:49
With respect... you bit your tongue... That's it. It happens. Whether it happened while awake or asleep is not relevant nor is the fact it hasn't happened in 32 years. There's a first time for everything. Some people grind their teeth at night and that's probably the main reason. Personally, I've had it happen more times than I can count in my life awake and asleep. It's nothing other than you bit your tongue and it will heal.

Positive thoughts

Thanks. I appreciate your response. When you bit your tongue in the middle of the night.....did it wake you up?

worriednow22
25-02-16, 01:10
Anyone else have any advice for me? I am still worried this was a seizure and I just don't know it yet.

Gary A
25-02-16, 02:54
Anyone else have any advice for me? I am still worried this was a seizure and I just don't know it yet.

What is the point in worrying about something that you have absolutely no evidence of? At what point does someone make the jump from "I bit my tongue in my sleep",to "I think I had a seizure"?

Most seizures last around 2-5 minutes, so even if you did suffer one and bite your tongue during it, I'm sure the pain would still have been sufficient to wake you up after the seizure.

You bit your tongue, that's all. You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to suspect a seizure.

worriednow22
25-02-16, 04:13
What is the point in worrying about something that you have absolutely no evidence of? At what point does someone make the jump from "I bit my tongue in my sleep",to "I think I had a seizure"?

Most seizures last around 2-5 minutes, so even if you did suffer one and bite your tongue during it, I'm sure the pain would still have been sufficient to wake you up after the seizure.

You bit your tongue, that's all. You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to suspect a seizure.

Thanks Gary. When I first knew I bit my tongue, I didn't think much of it. I did a quick google search and couldn't believe that almost nobody had considered biting their tongue in the middle of the night a simple accident. Sure, I read some stories about grinding and biting a tongue during sleep. These people claimed to wake up right when it happened. I am not sure if I woke up right when it happened or not.

So then I got to ask myself a few questions. Why did it take 32 years for me to bite my tongue if it was a mere accident? Also, why didn't I wake up right away? There is a chance I did, but I am not sure. If you do a quick google search you will see that almost everything that comes up for "tongue bite while sleeping" points to seizure. I mean, it might not be true. I gotta think there are people out there who have biten their tongues in the middle of the night by accident and didn't post it online. They might have thought it was nothing. I don't know. It's just kinda worrisome. What do you think?

WiseMonkey
25-02-16, 05:43
Hi, I don't know if this is any help but I've bitten the inside of my cheek at night (several times) and have had a blood blister develop! I can't remember it however and it's only occasionally as well.

I've also done it during the day without realising it either! I used to be a teeth grinder too.

Lin71
25-02-16, 06:38
You are right, most people who have bitten their tongue in the night would not post the event online. Hence you will not find lots of stories about it being normal...please don't worry about this there is absolutely nothing wrong!

Lin x

cattia
25-02-16, 11:33
This happens to me all the time, and I never wake up. I clench and grind my teeth at night so put it down to that.

Fishmanpa
25-02-16, 12:49
So then I got to ask myself a few questions.

Actually, then your anxiety started to ask questions and when the dragon asks questions, they're always followed by a fire you need to put out ;)

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
25-02-16, 20:44
This happens to me all the time, and I never wake up. I clench and grind my teeth at night so put it down to that.

You actually bite your tongue in the middle of the night and not wake up? You feel tongue pain in the morning and have seen a bite mark that happened from the previous night? Just wondering. Thanks

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Hi, I don't know if this is any help but I've bitten the inside of my cheek at night (several times) and have had a blood blister develop! I can't remember it however and it's only occasionally as well.

I've also done it during the day without realising it either! I used to be a teeth grinder too.

Thanks. Yes....I bite the inside of my cheeks all the time. I have those blood blisters too. I have never ever thought nothing about it because it's been going on my entire life. Have you ever biten your tongue in the middle of the night?

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

You are right, most people who have bitten their tongue in the night would not post the event online. Hence you will not find lots of stories about it being normal...please don't worry about this there is absolutely nothing wrong!

Lin x

Thanks. But I cannot really find any stories online about it being normal. That is what concerns me the most.

Lin71
25-02-16, 20:49
That was my point :) you won't find anything about it on the internet because its so normal no one would bother posting about it! It would be like posting on a forum about eating a sandwich....this is really nothing to worry about :)

Fishmanpa
25-02-16, 20:57
Great analogy about the sandwich Lin.

In my best virtual Yoda voice...

"Hmmm, strong in this one, the dragon is." :)

Thing is, the reassurance obviously isn't working (never really does). You have the choice to worry about this or not. Hopefully you'll choose "or not" :)

Positive thoughts

cattia
25-02-16, 21:49
Yes, I wake up with blood blisters and bite marks sometimes. Sometimes it happens as I am just drifting off to sleep and it wakes me up. Other times it happens when I'm already asleep and I don't know about it until the morning.

worriednow22
25-02-16, 23:48
That was my point :) you won't find anything about it on the internet because its so normal no one would bother posting about it! It would be like posting on a forum about eating a sandwich....this is really nothing to worry about :)

Thanks Lin. LOL. But,,,I have asked almost everyone I know and they say they have never bitten their tongues while sleeping. It makes me wonder how common it really is lol.

---------- Post added at 23:46 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Yes, I wake up with blood blisters and bite marks sometimes. Sometimes it happens as I am just drifting off to sleep and it wakes me up. Other times it happens when I'm already asleep and I don't know about it until the morning.

I get the blood blisters on my cheeks. But do you bite your tongue too? Sorry...I hate to keep asking. I just cannot seem to shake this worry for some reason.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Great analogy about the sandwich Lin.

In my best virtual Yoda voice...

"Hmmm, strong in this one, the dragon is." :)

Thing is, the reassurance obviously isn't working (never really does). You have the choice to worry about this or not. Hopefully you'll choose "or not" :)

Positive thoughts

Sorry. The idea of having seizures in the middle of the night makes me fear going to bed. I just can't get over the fact that it took me 32 years to bite my tongue while sleeping. Just makes me wonder why it happened. There must be a reason is all I can think.

Fishmanpa
26-02-16, 00:21
Sorry. The idea of having seizures in the middle of the night makes me fear going to bed. I just can't get over the fact that it took me 32 years to bite my tongue while sleeping. Just makes me wonder why it happened. There must be a reason is all I can think.

I'm sorry too... Truly... :(

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

cattia
26-02-16, 03:38
Yes, I catch myself biting my tongue as I'm drifting off. I get ulcers on my tongue because of it.

Paul84
11-03-17, 21:55
I am a teeth grinder, in my sleep and awake. I currently have a bite mark on the side of my tongue, had it for a few days but it's getting better. It happens fairly regular for me as one of my lower molars has been forced inwards and sits under my tongue. It's a bitch and I'm hoping my dentist can suggest something.
The bite mark was a bit sore and My mind has wondered all over the place the past couple of days, but I'm coming back to planet earth gradually.

Sixpack
12-03-17, 00:49

Positive thoughts

What reason do you have--logical--to believe that you suddenly have developed a seizure disorder? Biting your tongue in your sleep and not waking is NOT evidence of that. Not by a long shot.

Agree with fishmanpa. Biting the tongue is a common, boring, everybody does it occurence. And who is to say a person who bit his tongue would absolutely wake up? It is like saying a person ALWAYS knows how he has gotten a bruise. Seems to be an incredible assumption to me.

Funny thing: my daughter has had a severe seizure disorder for 17 yrs and has NEVER been any evidence of her having bitten her tongue from a seizure. :winks:

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

And, respectfully, I have to wonder how the hell do you KNOW that you have NEVER bitten your tongue in your sleep in all of your 32 years?????? I find that INCREDIBLE that you absolutely know that. So incredible that I believe that this is not something that you truly know but rather a lie your BEASTY (anxious over thinking) is peddling to you and you are falling for it hook, line and sinker. Don't fall for the lies.