PDA

View Full Version : back again scared

ker92ri
23-02-16, 16:28
I have had really severe flu like symptoms for 5 days now. But what is really worrying me is that I have quite a bit of pain when I move my eyes. Some of you are aware that I am absolutely petrified about something happening to my eyes. Now I'm worried I may have thyroid eye disease because of the pain when moving them.

Blackstar
23-02-16, 17:01
Hello there :)

Firstly, I can empathise with you - I am terrified of going blind. So I can appreciate your fear.

To put your mind at rest, I think it is VERY unlikely to be thyroid eye disease. I developed Graves Disease (an overactive thyroid) many years ago, and did have thyroid eye disease, but it came with a host of other very specific symptoms - weight loss, lank hair, a lump in my neck, tremor etc. I don't remember any eye pain at all, although I'm sure some people will have discomfort or pain depending on the severity of the eye disease. With thyroid eye disease, your eyes tend to 'pop out' and give you a 'staring' appearance - which I imagine you don't have.

However! I remember very clearly having a horrible cold / flu thing when I was younger, and I had such terrible eye pain! It was awful, my eyes ached and it was very painful to move them. It lasted about 3 days and then went away, and my vision was not affected at all. I think it must be something to do with the illness, maybe inflammation that is generally in the nasal passages as they are all linked up with your tear ducts and things.

If you can tolerate painkillers, try taking some as they may help with the pain and make you more comfortable. Obviously if things get a lot worse, call NHS 111 or get yourself to A&E. But I'm sure you'll be okay :)

ker92ri
23-02-16, 17:15
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm at the doctors tomorrow, but had my eyes checked loads of times by eye docs and opticians. They just really ache when I move my eyes, but my vision is ok. I am so beyond petrified of going blind I can't even begin to describe it

Blackstar
29-02-16, 10:42
Hello again. I just wondered how you got on at the doctor's? Hopefully your eye pain has eased a little, or you have been given some good advice as to what treatment you can have for it?

Fingers are crossed for you :)