PDA

View Full Version : Eye floaters help

dazkirsty42
23-02-16, 23:01
Hi
I'm so glad I found this website as I'm going out of my mind with worry. I have got a floater in my left eye...its a clear squiggle and I only notice it when on the computer, bright conditions etc. I stupidly googled this and I'm now convinced I've got a detached retina...I feel very anxious and panicky. If I had a detached retina would the squiggle be there all of the time? I have no pain and its not affecting my vision its just more annoying as Im looking for it then when I find it I'm obsessing about it. I have made an appointment for an eye test on Thursday. I'm sat here now trying to see it but its gone as Ive only got a lamp on and the screen is turned down. I have been on the computer a lot just recently, i'm very tired and have been feeling anxious prior to this floater appearing, could this be all connected???? Please can somebody reassure me please, im desperate. I woke up at 3am after having a nightmare that I had gone blind....

Lifelonganxiety!
23-02-16, 23:32
Anxiety can't cause a floater, but it can make you feel a heck of a lot worse about what is in truth a very common and benign symptom.

I've had them for years, a lot of people on here probably have.

Absolutely get them checked out, but know that they're a LOT worse when you concentrate on them or go looking for them. I see them when I look at a computer or a painted wall, but I can go a week without thinking about them and then "There they are again".

Try to not focus on them. And if you stare at a screen a lot, try to get regular breaks.

countrygirl
24-02-16, 16:35
You almost certainly have not got a detached retina the signs of this are much much more serious than a squiggly floater. Floaters are just debris in the eye.

I am partially sighted with severe eye problems and know the danger symptoms off by heart!

So if you suddenly lose part of the sight in one eye like a curtain coming down or across.
If you suddenly get a hole in your vision.
IF you suddeny get a shower of black floaters making you think you have cobwebs dropping on you.
If you get severe pain in your eye.
IF you get severe flashes of light at edge of vision when you move yoru eye.

These are medical emergencies and you need to go to emergency or eye Dr asap. This still does not mean that you have anything nasty wrong but they would want to rule out anything nasty.

If you are still concerned then go and get an eye exam at an optician and they can totally put your mind at rest.