PDA

View Full Version : Waking every few hours - nerves?

helenhoo
24-02-16, 06:57
So I am starting a new job today (temp) and I was nervous last night. I didn't go to sleep til late knowing I had to be up for 6 whic since being unemployed last month hasn't happened. I was worrying before bed I wouldn't get enough sleep.

I fell to sleep fine (around 1) but woke at 2.30 then 4.30 then again at 6ish. By now I knew I was up soon so tried kipping but couldn't.

I don't think this is insomnia. I'm not awake for long when I awoke. Once I needed a pee and the other I just stirred.

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-16, 07:19
It's likely anticipatory anxiety. It's all change for you and change & uncertainty are big issues in anxiety disorders. Many of us have this with appointments of any nature.

Getting back into a healthy work routine will likely sort this out. You may have a rougher first week while your body adjusts in various ways but it will get there.

Good luck in your new job!

helenhoo
24-02-16, 07:26
Thank you. I was already worrying about crap sleep before I even went to sleep. Plus my sleeping pattern since unemployment has been silly am - 9am. I do still feel refreshed just have that niggle that this is a sleep disorder even though it doesn't happen regularly if at all.

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-16, 07:48
Well any of us who have had insomnia will tell you that worrying about sleeping is one of the biggest problems. The more you can just let things be, the more it goes away. The same for any sleep disturbance like this too but it's obvious starting a new job is going to bring stress with it so it's something to just accept and move forward on.

If you feel refreshed, that's really good. I tended to feel dog rough and it often blighted my day back then. Getting past my insomnia stages and making myself have very little sleep (an OCD issue) showed me I could operate on much less and my reaction to it changes to not care as much. This helped desensitise me to it's effects. It's good to hear you can do the same.

I know what you mean about sleep patterns. I thought I was the only one with these issues but I've seen a few people say times like that. At my worst it got up to about 3pm after being up through the night. It's surprising how much it knocks you about and you being able to adjust it so quickly is a really good sign with your anxiety for me as sleep/routine changes can be big things for us.

helenhoo
24-02-16, 07:58
Thanks, I don't think this is insomnia though. At least I hope not.

---------- Post added at 07:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

It's just a one off worth this job today/knowing I wasn't going to get much sleep. I'm

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-16, 08:09
No, I don't think so either and I'm not suggesting it. I was just highlighting how the worry about sleeping tends to affect people with insomnia to suggest that it would do the same to anyone before a worrying event.

helenhoo
24-02-16, 08:19
Oh ok! Thank you. I know anxiety is a sod who hinders us in whichever way it pleases. Hope you're well and thanks for you help this morning.

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-16, 08:46
I'm well, thanks for asking.

Anytime. Have a great first day!