PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about old test results.

scared88
25-02-16, 23:34
I posted this on an another forum but I'm really still thinking about this and it's really bothering me.
But recently I started thinking about all the health stuff I've worried about over the past 4 years, especially the slow growing lymphoma worries. My mind always go to the same place, the blood tests I had done in 2012. I had one done in March, if I remember correctly, that year by a hematologist that I went to see about my lymph nodes and he said that the results were normal and that's all he said, he never disclosed any of the numbers. Then in few months later in June I had another blood test done for my GP, when that one came back I had the biggest freak out of my life. My LDH level was elevated by ONE POINT, LDH is often an indicator of lymphoma, although those numbers are I think much much higher. I went to see the hematologist again and told him about this and he looked at the results from my previous blood test that he had done and told me that back then the LDH was at a higher level than from the blood test my GP had done. So it had gone down and I stopped being so scared.
However, I still think WHY was the LDH elevated in the first place and why was it taking so long to go down? It was one point over 3 months or so after it had been probably close to 10 points over.
Maybe it fluctuates cause of a slow growing disease?
Now with the symptoms I've been feeling recently I still think about it, the off balance feeling, the left side discomfort that makes me worried about my spleen being involved. I've been told these are anxiety symptoms, but I'm not having panic attacks all the time.
Is there any reason for me to worry about nearly 4 year old test results?

Fishmanpa
25-02-16, 23:45
Short answer is "No" From your own post in another forum....

"I started therapy when I got here first in 2012 and then stopped after I started to feel better or cope with my anxiety. I'm back in therapy now and my meds are being changed"

I think once you get your meds changed and you get a bit more into therapy, you'll be able to more effectively cope with your fears and rationalize your thoughts.

Positive thoughts

scared88
26-02-16, 00:21
Short answer is "No" From your own post in another forum....

"I started therapy when I got here first in 2012 and then stopped after I started to feel better or cope with my anxiety. I'm back in therapy now and my meds are being changed"

I think once you get your meds changed and you get a bit more into therapy, you'll be able to more effectively cope with your fears and rationalize your thoughts.

Positive thoughts

Are you stalking me? :P lol

I hope you're right that I'll be more rational once the meds set in fully or even partially. I'm going the NY in a month and I hope I'll be somewhat rational by then.
When I try to think rationally about this then I think abnormal test results that seem to be returning back to normal is a good thing ,right? But since that result is such a lymphoma specific result it is making it hard for me to let it go. Even though if it was rising I'd probably be very sick four years later.
But then I look at it being very slow growing.....yeah.

The drug I'm on now is good for obsessions and depression so I hopefully I'll manage to let go of the obsessions I have.

Fishmanpa
26-02-16, 00:30
Are you stalking me? :P lol

No... but I read. And many members have accounts on several sites and seek reassurance, often posting the same exact thing. AND.... after getting dozens of replies and reassurance, nothing changes. It's like a thirst that can't be quenched.

Hopefully, you'll get a grip on your dragon soon...

Positive thoughts

scared88
26-02-16, 20:48
The short answer is No....why is it no?
Would the LDH result be very high with cancer even if it's slow growing one?

Lifelonganxiety!
26-02-16, 21:30
That's the kind of question you need to ask your doctor.

The thing is, your LDH was slightly high according to one hospitals guidelines on "normal" trust me, there are many different normal ranges when it comes to blood tests.

Your LDH being high by one point on that range is nothing to be concerned about. You're guessing that it was much higher on the other result that you never saw. The fact is, 2 or 3 doctors reviewed your results and none were concerned.

Most likely, you had a virus of some kind, and your blood chemistry was slightly out of range trying to fight it. It's very possible you didn't even feel sick and your immune system was just doing what it does.

Your blood test was 4 years ago and the results were fine. Time to stop worrying about that.

scared88
26-02-16, 21:42
That's the kind of question you need to ask your doctor.

The thing is, your LDH was slightly high according to one hospitals guidelines on "normal" trust me, there are many different normal ranges when it comes to blood tests.

Your LDH being high by one point on that range is nothing to be concerned about. You're guessing that it was much higher on the other result that you never saw. The fact is, 2 or 3 doctors reviewed your results and none were concerned.

Most likely, you had a virus of some kind, and your blood chemistry was slightly out of range trying to fight it. It's very possible you didn't even feel sick and your immune system was just doing what it does.

Your blood test was 4 years ago and the results were fine. Time to stop worrying about that.

I know it was several points higher. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think the LDH on my second test that made me worried was somewhere around 206 or one point over the highest normal range. The other one was probably around 214 or 215.

I didn't feel sick at all then, just anxious out of my mind.

Toots24
26-02-16, 21:45
I worry about this too, i hate when doctors say results are ok or 'normal' I'd always like them to go into a bit more detail. I had some bloods done last week and my doc screwed his face up and said 'well your tests results were ... Okay' and I'm like what does that mean?! Obviously somethings off but he didn't say what, that was it... Now I can't stop thinking about it, I understand how you feel.

I just keep telling myself that doctors wouldn't let abnormal results slide, if there was anything worth worrying about they would tell you