PDA

View Full Version : Cough/Flu/Phlegm

nirvanainchains
26-02-16, 04:52
I was hit by a flu some days ago, it leaves me now with a little throat itchiness. But what makes me wonder is the traces of reddish stuff(blood?) when I cough up phlegm. Sometimes brownish. Is this something sinister? Or is this normal after dealing with flu? I have no chest discomfort or breathlesness as of now. Please I need a response. Thank You guys.

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 ----------

Anyone with this kund of experience?

Oosh
26-02-16, 05:29
Discolouration is a sign of the infection isn't it. I'd find that very typical of flu, coughs.

nirvanainchains
26-02-16, 05:43
Discolouration is a sign of the infection isn't it. I'd find that very typical of flu, coughs.

Typical? Like traces of reddish stuff that I assume to be blood? This is the first time that I have this traces of discoloration. Thanks for replying.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-16, 05:53
My GP's always said yellow/green indicated infections signs.

If you are coughing a lot perhaps you have a blood vessel that has caused the bleeding? It happens to people coughing hard.

Oosh
26-02-16, 06:04
I've absolutely found blood yes. It can get very sore down there you know. The pain is a sign of inflammation and soreness. Skin could be broken in a very normal way due to redness and soreness. I find it helps to think what the likely explanation is rather than the far less unlikely.

Last year I had a sore throat for 6 weeks, but inches further down than my tonsils. I got really worried because having had tonsillitis so many times, this didn't fit the description. Therefore I was convinced this meant something more sinister and I was really freeking out and I'm not really a health anxiety sufferer.
Turns out it was a throat ulcer ! I didn't even know you could get those !

Because I wasn't looking for the harmless explanations I was scaring myself with the sinister ones. It's very easy to jump straight to the very unlikely explanations when if you think about it it makes no sense. I lost a stone in weight !

I gargled with mouth wash and over a few days it was gone.

nirvanainchains
26-02-16, 09:45
My GP's always said yellow/green indicated infections signs.

If you are coughing a lot perhaps you have a blood vessel that has caused the bleeding? It happens to people coughing hard.

Uhm I would be having a mild itchiness down in my throat but not COUGHING that much, when I focus on my breathing I would hear the phlegm/mucus goes in sync, it annoys me so I would cough on purpose to spit out the phlegm and thats the time I would notice a yellowish/brownish mixture with traces of red(blood?) , I am not freaking out that much but it kept me thinking ‘cause it is my first time to have seen my phlegm with traces of blood. If indeed it is blood.

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

I've absolutely found blood yes. It can get very sore down there you know. The pain is a sign of inflammation and soreness. Skin could be broken in a very normal way due to redness and soreness. I find it helps to think what the likely explanation is rather than the far less unlikely.

Last year I had a sore throat for 6 weeks, but inches further down than my tonsils. I got really worried because having had tonsillitis so many times, this didn't fit the description. Therefore I was convinced this meant something more sinister and I was really freeking out and I'm not really a health anxiety sufferer.
Turns out it was a throat ulcer ! I didn't even know you could get those !

Because I wasn't looking for the harmless explanations I was scaring myself with the sinister ones. It's very easy to jump straight to the very unlikely explanations when if you think about it it makes no sense. I lost a stone in weight !

I gargled with mouth wash and over a few days it was gone.

Good to know you’re fine now buddy. I am not freaking out ‘cause I kinda adjusted myself in adapting daily symptoms that may relate to anxiety, but this “traces of blood” is kinda new so I am here asking if this means something sinister. I didn't Google, and I would never ever again.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-16, 05:13
Is it all yellow other than the brown/red? Or is there some white in there?

I'm wondering whether some of the discolouration is the natural mixing of colours e.g. the brown could be darkened red, the yellow may be a mix of red with white? If it's otherwise all yellow, it could be an infection.

Is it every time though? With an infection you wouldn't expect to be seeing white one minute and yellow the next.