PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sleepiness

Ssmith
26-02-16, 16:46
Hi guys,

I've reported on here about my extreme battles with sleepiness throughout the day and that it never lets up.Brief summary is that i've had depression and anxiety for a number of years now, but 3 years ago, i started feeling more and more sleepy during the day and getting unrefreshing sleep. I was still able to function and do things, but it made my mental health problems worse. Fast forward to 6 months ago, and the sleepiness got a whole lot worse. As soon as i wake up from when i go to bed, it feels like i havent slept. I have visible extreme bags under my eyes and yawn frequently. I dont nap through the day and struggle to keep going, although im pretty much housebound by how sleepy i am and i try to avoid driving now.

Ive discussed this on here before with some people. It seems like the depression and the anxiety would be to blame for this. But my GP who i saw the other day says she doesnt really see people who are sleepy with depression and anxiety and that i seem to be very coherent and able to express myself well. Ive had blood tests done and home oximetry sleep apnea test to rule that out. I just keep thinking that this has to be something else than my mental health issue. I feel like the sleepiness is the thing making everything so much worse.

Sometimes i struggle to sleep on a night, and then other times, ill be so sleep deprived that ill be asleep as soon as i get into bed. However, i will always wake up round about 6-7am no matter how much i try to sleep longer. Can't remember the last time i could sleep in. Ive also been having random leg jolts/jerks which ive mentioned in here before which ive had for years. I dont know if there is any link.

Im going to video myself whilst im asleep tonight and see if theres any clues with that. I think once i rule everything out, then ill probably go back to the depression and anxiety is causing this. But something is just telling me it's something seperate. I've though of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, Restless Legs Syndrome.

Is anybody going through a similar experience or can give me some advice in that it will get better. Sleepiness is the worst symptom ive ever had and im struggling to function and take things in. Ive ever thought of asking the doctor if they can give me some kind of stimulant to keep me awake.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading all of that :) Your comments will help me a lot

EDIT: Also, i have just started off yesterday on Venlafaxine 75mg and will be working my way up on that. Exercise, eating healthily and relaxing doesnt seem to help the sleepiness out

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-16, 06:24
Ive discussed this on here before with some people. It seems like the depression and the anxiety would be to blame for this. But my GP who i saw the other day says she doesnt really see people who are sleepy with depression and anxiety and that i seem to be very coherent and able to express myself well.

I don't understand how a GP could state this and she should know, as someone in a scientific field, that one persons experience of patients doesn't mean she has seen the whole spectrum of possibilities.

She could log onto this forum(or the many others) and read the threads about peoples experience with fatigue.

NHS Choices even state:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Physical symptoms of GAD

GAD can also have a number of physical symptoms, including:

•tiredness

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Depression/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Physical symptoms include:

•lack of energy or lack of interest in sex (loss of libido)

AND

There can be physical symptoms too, such as feeling constantly tired, sleeping badly, having no appetite or sex drive, and complaining of various aches and pains.

I'm not sure what she means by you being coherent and able to express yourself, sleepiness doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be. Sleepiness or fatigue doesn't mean you appear the same as someone heavily sedated.

Ssmith
27-02-16, 08:57
Thanks for the reply Terry,

Very exciting advancement tonight which i hope means I've solved the tiredness. I decided to record my self sleeping last night by putting up a webcam. Well I've just looked at results this morning and i kick out or move my legs pretty much every 30 seconds to a minute. I think this is called restless legs syndrome or periodic limb movement disorder. I knew it wasn't down to my depression or anxiety. I've got a doctors appointment on Wednesday and going to show them some of the footage. I don't know what the treatment for it is or even if there isn't one. I'm angry that my doctors have never sorted out a sleep study for me but this is looking promising

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-16, 09:15
That sounds like good news, at least now you can work on it.

There are people on here (I think) with restless leg syndrome so maybe a thread might get you a few hits off people in the know?

I know with my anxiety I had done that with my legs when I've been awake and it does go away as you start recovering but it was occasional and what you are describing is much more.

It's just another reason why we have to be proactive with our disorders. A sleep studt certainly would have shown that up.

I wonder if by reducing how much you do it, it will mean you start getting refreshing sleep again and feel less fatigued all the time? I thought restless legs happens when awake too but I really know nothing about it so I'm likely wrong there. Hopefully some of the folks on here can give you some ideas of what to expect though.

Ssmith
27-02-16, 12:00
From reading more about it, Restless Legs Syndrome only ever happens while you're awake, and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder only ever happens during your sleep. They think it's something to do with dopamine levels in the brain which could also explain why I've always got a restlessness through the day. There's no cure though, you just have to keep taking medications for it. I'm hoping this could explain a lot of my symptoms. I'm going to record again tonight and see if it happens during the night.

Ever since i started struggling with these mental health problems 5 years ago, I've had random jerks of my legs and hands while I've been awake. The doctors always chalked it up to sleep deprivation or anxiety but this could explain that as well