PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy - polyp removed

Skkyee
26-02-16, 19:34
My husband had a colonoscopy today after having a prolonged episode of loose stools, not diorrehea, but loose. All the GPs think it's IBS. Anyway. They removed one polyp and took 'several random routine biopsies' (which he said he was going to take anyway regardless of what he found)..... I dunno if generally today is good news or not. The surgeon told him before the operation that he wasn't going to find anything sinister, he's had loads of other tests all clear.... But I can't help being worried.

Are polyps quite common? Do they mean impending doom? I don't/darent Google...

Thank you for any reassurance anyone can offer.

Skkyee

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

No one have any experience with this?

Lifelonganxiety!
26-02-16, 19:44
I haven't experienced this no, but I do know that polyps are relatively common as we get older, and in the majority of cases don't progress into anything serious.

Your husband seems to be in good hands with his team of doctors, they're not concerned, you've done everything you can to investigate what's going on and really need to trust the doctor on this one.

nirvanainchains
26-02-16, 23:17
I read it somewhere that polyps can either be “pre cancerous” or just a normal polyp. The surgeon assured you so don‘t worry.

Skkyee
27-02-16, 09:22
Thank you :-)

He's dead calm about it, but then it's me with the anxiety :-(

Any advice how to stop obsessing about it until he sees the consultant again in 2 weeks ish? I didnt sleep last night :-(

Thank you.

AlexandriaUK
27-02-16, 15:46
I have UC and microscopic colitis diagnosed by biopsies, polyps are quite common and if they find one they will be removed and tested, if they are found to be precancerous or not then he will have regular follow up colonoscopies just to be on the safe side, I have one every 3/5 years depending on how my disease is behaving, please don't worry as his examiner wasn't worried and nether should you be x

Skkyee
27-02-16, 18:19
Thank you Alexandria! That's helpful X

I will grit my teeth and wait for the follow up clinic and see what's said. Fingers crossed. What are your symptoms btw? Ty.

Skkyee
28-02-16, 00:16
Still struggling with this :-( I'm scared and can't seem to shake it. I am honestly listening to what people are saying here and I know it might be undue worry (hopefully)... But I'm finding it hard to see past at the moment. :-(

Fishmanpa
28-02-16, 00:31
Skylee...

Polyps are pretty common and benign polyps more so. If there were any issue, you would have been told. There isn't so all is well. Time to let it go. Medical professionals don't take risks with their careers so you can rest assured all was checked and is well.

Positive thoughts

Skkyee
28-02-16, 00:58
Thank you fishmanpa, I appreciate your reply! I'm under the impression tho that these polyps need to be sent away and checked? That's why I'm dreading the result. I may be wrong? The nurse told us, when asked, as they dismissed us, 'there was nothing there', then a clarification phone call to the ward by my husband when he recovered from his sedation told us they had removed a polyp.... I'm just confused, not sure if I should be concerned or not.

You know how it is, rational reasoning slips out of the window... I keep imagining the worst.

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss it here tho, I don't want to worry my hubby with it!

Skkyee X

Fishmanpa
28-02-16, 01:59
Perfectly natural and understandable... looking forward to the "all clear" post. :)

Positive thoughts

Skkyee
28-02-16, 11:02
Thank you! I hope so, the sooner the better!!

Skkyee xx

spacebunnyx
28-02-16, 18:54
Hiya. Just letting you know I've had a polyp removed when I was 27! It was benign and as others have said they have to remove and test them if they see them. Xxx

Skkyee
28-02-16, 20:33
Thank you :-) more reassurance! Will make him an appointment for the follow up tomorrow, hopefully they will see him soon :-)