PDA

View Full Version : Panic after dropping my phone in the loo!

Carnation
27-02-16, 09:35
:ohmy:HELP! This is my life line...

I stupidly dropped my mobile in the loo last night. After fishing it out, which was not very pleasant, it was soaking wet and dripping like crazy.
I have taken the chip out to dry, but now worried to put it in to another phone in case it damages that one.
I am going to a Vodaphone shop, but worry that they will try and charge me lots of money or want me to leave it where I have lots personnel info on it for them to read.

Does anyone know if the chip will be ok? Any help or advice would be appreciated. :wacko:

Elen
27-02-16, 10:06
It should be fine, have loads of friends who have had success drying their phones out by putting them in rice to absorb the mosture.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-16, 10:09
As long as the chip is dry, it will either be dead or it will work. Either way, it won't harm another phone.

I would suggest you dry it out and see if it works first. If they open it up they will likely cause any water inside to spread and do more damage. It could easily dry out on it's own, these events are very common or used to be when I worked in the game.

Back up your data off your SIM and your phone though and keep doing that just in case in the future.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

It should be fine, have loads of friends who have had success drying their phones out by putting them in rice to absorb the mosture.

Now that's a good point, Elen.

If you have something that could absorb moisture, it may help. People use talcum powder in packaging to stop moisture in transmit so I don't know if that might help but if you have those desiccating bags, they are meant to draw out moisture as they add them into vitamin bottles (or used to) to prevent moisture damaging the supplements.

Carnation
27-02-16, 10:19
Thanks Elen and Terry. :)

Magic
27-02-16, 10:31
Canation, I did the same thing the other week. My mobile fell out of my back pocket of jeans. the cover was still on it. it I took it apart, wiped it then put it on the radiator. It was ok after leaving it over night. x

Carnation
27-02-16, 10:49
Thanks Magic. :) Mine was also in my back pocket. :doh:

Sunflower2
27-02-16, 12:30
My phone has been dropped in the sea last summer! I was worried it would have broken but I sat it upright on a paper towel and it dried out over night! But also recommend the rice, it will absorb all the water and fingers crossed will all be fine!

Carnation
27-02-16, 17:35
Kimberley, you must have been panicking, especially being away.

My phone is hopefully drying in the rice and I am pleased to say that the chip is still working and I have put it in an old phone for the time being.
Only time will tell. :unsure:

Sunflower2
27-02-16, 21:27
That seems promising then, I'm sure they must have to be built with this in mind, it happens to most people!

It's funny I don't think I was overly worried - more so about the cost implications! But I remember it was my last night of my holiday with my friend and we had had such a laugh I wasn't feeling much anxiety. Plus there will always be an easy enough solution, even if it meant forking out for a new phone if I had to!

My new thought to myself is, the world isn't going to end if I can't do...

MyNameIsTerry
28-02-16, 04:48
Uncle Ben's? :winks:

pulisa
28-02-16, 08:47
Boil in the (hand)bag?

Carnation
28-02-16, 10:15
No, Supermarket own brand. :D

Anyway, it's not working. :weep: And I put the chip in to another phone and although I can make calls and receive them, for some strange reason I can't do the same with texts. My friend was panicking last night and phoned Mr C to see if I was ok; bless her, she checks on me all the time. She lives 200 miles away, but she is still my 'Panic Buddy'. She was not at all surprised when Mr C told her I had dropped the phone down the loo. :D

Looks like the trip to Vodaphone is unavoidable. :lac:
All my pet hates; waiting in queues, a small confined space that is overcrowded, being overwhelmed with 200 phones to choose from and someone trying to make me spend £500 notes when I only want to spend £50.......

MyNameIsTerry
28-02-16, 10:51
Did you get a message like "we have detected you have changed your SIM card"? If so, they send you settings through on a text and you activate them and then things work again. It does this on some of our phones. Until you do that, your texts and emails won't work as it needs to add in the new settings.

Also, try to change the network to another and back again (manual roaming) as it can force it to reset certain things.

Won't your "wet" phone switch on?

Carnation
28-02-16, 11:00
Ok, I will give it a go Terry. x

Magic
28-02-16, 11:18
My husband bought a cheap mobile phone Did some work on his car His trousers got so dirty I would not let him put them in the washer. They stunk of oil.
So he put the trousers in a bucket of soapy water.
Later, much later when he took his trousers out of the bucket, low and behold his mobile dropped out. I put it in rice in the airing cupboard.
No,it was done for. Useless. He refuses to have another one.x:doh:

MyNameIsTerry
28-02-16, 11:59
My husband bought a cheap mobile phone Did some work on his car His trousers got so dirty I would not let him put them in the washer. They stunk of oil.
So he put the trousers in a bucket of soapy water.
Later, much later when he took his trousers out of the bucket, low and behold his mobile dropped out. I put it in rice in the airing cupboard.
No,it was done for. Useless. He refuses to have another one.x:doh:

What? He refuses to have another pair of trousers? :ohmy::blush::D

You know, Magic, when I was reading this I couldn't help but think of Last of the Summer Wine and Wesley walking on newspapers through the kitchen. :roflmao:

Carnation
28-02-16, 12:04
Oh Magic, mobile phones are a right pain in the backside; scuse the pun. :)

I hate them, but we need them in today's society.
This is the 2nd phone I've lost in the loo and I had 2 stolen at work and another was picked out of my pocket at a car boot. Mr C takes his to bed with him every night :lac:, and my Mum phones me all day and night just to find out what I had for lunch/dinner. We don't go out very often, but when we do, what do we see? Everyone on their phones, including Mr C.
I'm not really a technical person and like old fashioned ways of writing a letter, visiting someone, only answering the phone when you want to, but because of my illness I need that extra security of phoning someone when I am in a panic or on my own.

No doubt my new phone is going to cost the earth. The one I am using at the moment is so old I don't think it is compatible. It doesn't even have a roaming facility; it must be about 10 years old and we all know how far we have come in that time. :ohmy:

I must say that I am enjoying not being phoned by my Mother all day long. :)
Friday night she phoned 10 times!!!!

MyNameIsTerry
28-02-16, 12:11
Pulisa will love you for disliking comm tech. :yesyes:

All phones should have a roaming facility. I worked in the game before the new millennium and they had them then. It will probably be in a network settings menu, perhaps in something like phone settings. There should be an option to choose a network in there somewhere and all you do is pick a different one and accept it, and then do the same back to your network. Some older pay-as-you-go phones might be network locked though.

MrC lies in bed with his moby? Well, I suppose it's only like James Bond...he has a gun under his pillow. :biggrin:

Carnation
28-02-16, 12:27
Terry, can you believe that I took a Course in IT and gained my Cambridge Certificate so that I could play with the big boys, but I can't make the phone work. :mad:

I can only find a set-up Wizard which downloads the info, but it has not worked. It's an old Sony Ericsson, no number, but it is very heavy. (I'd be walking lopsided if I wore this one in my back pocket). :D
Don't worry, I will get another one. :lac:
I spend most of my time sorting out problems with gadgets! My Mum has managed to break 4 electric fires in 2 years and the new laptop I got for my birthday had to go back and I only got a new one because the other just shut up shop on me.
NO, electrics and me, do NOT get on. :mad:

pulisa
28-02-16, 13:41
I've got a Pay You Go brick which does the trick! (note the rhyming skillz!)

I believe a mobile phone should be used for phone calls and texts. I refuse to join the 21st century:D

Magic
28-02-16, 19:32
Carnation, It is true!!!! I made hubby to get a mobile. It took me ages to set it up as I am a bit thick. he never hardly used it . Not capable:doh:.
Terry, I just nearly choked on my chewing gum!!! :D Oh! I remember Thora in last of the summer wine. I can just picture her now.:hugs:x

Pulisa, I am same Texting mostly. x

MyNameIsTerry
29-02-16, 04:42
Terry, I just nearly choked on my chewing gum!!! :D Oh! I remember Thora in last of the summer wine. I can just picture her now.:hugs:x

She was great!

https://cdn4.static.ovimg.com/m/04zng9/?width=150
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/Wesley_and_Edie6537.jpg/220px-Wesley_and_Edie6537.jpg

My mum always says she reminds her of her mum when hre daughter gets a bit carried away talking about 'her Barry' which ends in a dirty look off Thora with 'drink your tea!'. She says it's exactly the same look she used to get when her mum disapproved of something. :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/60/3b/2a/603b2a808d5c9755e2912d0c70346935.jpg

Carnation
29-02-16, 15:34
So I went to 'Vodaphone' today and after waiting for nearly a hour to be served, I walked out. (Mind you, from the conversations I could here going on, I don't think they were going to be much help).
Just the fact of waiting and standing with anxiety was a major ordeal for me, (worse than the Supermarket checkout, because at least that moves along), added with the extra pressure of being back for Mr C's Mum and using 1 out of our 8 hours a week of our free time was also playing on my mind.
So, plan B. I am going to try going to 'Carphone Warehouse', which is just down the road from my Mum's house on Wednesday.
In the meantime, I have no idea how to cope without my diary events as EVERYTHING was on my phone.
If only we kept those Filofaxes going........:ohmy:

Magic
29-02-16, 20:07
Good Luck with that Carnation!!!. :huh:

Thanks for the pictures Terry. Great.. I stopped watching Last of the Summer Wine
when Thora past on.
I wonder if you if you saw her in something called Talking Heads. "The Cream Cracker Under the Settee" very touching, excellent stuff. x

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-16, 09:44
I don't think I have seen Talking Heads.

She is sometimes on Celebrity Squares on Challenge. She could hold her own.

It was rather sad towards the end when she was no longer the matriarch. I used to love how there was a room of women all the men in the town were afraid of yet they all deferred to Thora.

Carnation
01-03-16, 18:04
The phone has survived!!! :yesyes:

Just one small problem, the bit where the sim card goes won't come out.
So, I still can't use it. But, at least I have my info so I can transfer. :)

MyNameIsTerry
02-03-16, 04:55
Excellent! So, it just needed more time to dry out in "rice rehab".

How does the bit the SIM card into work? Is it a button press, do you prise it out or is it a gate design? Normally these are manual functioning parts so water wouldn't impact on them.

Magic
02-03-16, 11:14
Hope all turns out ok with your phone Carnation x

Medran0
02-03-16, 15:32
i think that a lot of people start having panic attacks after dropping their phones, especially if it's an expensive iPhone :D anyway, the new smartphones should be fine after a good dry but even if it won't, normally you shouldn't be charged too much for its repair. anyway, some updates?

Carnation
02-03-16, 18:46
Terry, I am stupid! :doh: I had forgot that I had taken out the tray that holds the sim card.
Since yesterday, the phone has frozen now and yes, it is an iPhone. :ohmy:

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-16, 09:31
How has it frozen? Won't it turn on or is it just stuck on a certain screen? There might be way to fix a freeze with some form of reset or it might be possible to get the data off it.

Carnation
03-03-16, 09:48
It's stuck on the screen saver. It was working after Mr C charged it up and I could get in to all the programs on the phone and then for some reason Mr C shut it down and when I re-opened it just stayed on the screen saver and I can't even turn it off. Mr C says to let the charge rundown and charge it again, so that is what I am doing, because you know me Terry, I always do what I am told. :whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-16, 09:56
Ah, ok. Well that can happen with smartphones any time so until it keeps happening, I would see it as a one off.

Can you do this on yours?

Turn off your phone by holding on the Sleep/Wake button (top left). If nothing happens, try a hard reset by holding in the Home Button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time for at least 10 seconds or until you see an Apple logo appear onscreen.

Pull the battery out. It will force a reset when you switch it back on. It's just like how digital recorders get stuck on menus. You pull the plug to force it to shutdown and then it will reboot as normal. Do the above first though.

If it happens again, there may be a solution for it. There are tons of tech forums online and a screen freeze will pull up loads of hits for solutions.

Carnation
03-03-16, 11:04
OK Terry, I will try that. :)

Pepperpot
03-03-16, 23:50
Did it work? I am often soft resetting my iPhone cos it freezes. That is by holding the hime button and the button on the top for bout 10secs

Carnation
04-03-16, 00:04
No, sadly it didn't Pepperpot, still frozen. :(
I'm going to smash it in to little pieces, maybe that will help it. :D

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

How are you Pepperpot? x

Pepperpot
05-03-16, 17:20
oh yeah smashing it always helps ;)

I'm good ta. Plodding along as usual haha x

Carnation
10-03-16, 13:55
An update on my phone..........

In the end I decided to get a new phone, new number and new provider/tariff.
A fresh start might be what I need and I am saving 75%.

The phone was only partially working and I did not want to be stuck somewhere or be stranded and for it to fail on me. So for peace of mind I thought this was the best decision.

I am also pleased with myself, because I spent a good hour in the shop and managed to avoid anxiety and panic.

Thank you everyone for your advice. :)

wantpeace
10-03-16, 14:42
My phone cocked up a few days ago. I dropped it and the mic stopped working. Luckily, I can buy out the remainder of the contract for £30. Like you, I'm looking for a cheaper deal. So all in all, looking at this as a positive.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-16, 07:37
Sounds like a win then, Carnation. Have you managed to get all your data off it that you were using? With some of these smart phones there are way to get at data if the phones are playing up.

Well done for sticking out the hour. The service at your shop sounds terrible. Is it mega busy? Even so, it seems like they need to get recruiting.

Carnation
11-03-16, 08:44
Not yet Terry, but it is amazing what info you can find on youtube.
I might not even bother. A lot of my past can stay there now.
I was on pay as you go before and I have gone on to Contract now, because I don't want to be in a position where I want run out of credit in an emergency.
I only use the phone for that and texting. I don't use it for the internet.
There is so much Wifi everywhere now and we have it in the house as well through BT.
I got the deal that came out last November at £5 per month over 2 years.