PDA

View Full Version : Cats and long car journey

GingerFish
28-02-16, 11:42
Next week I'll be driving my friend's 2 cats from Scotland to Manchester. Her mum was watching the cats for her while she got her new house done up and now that it is finished, she wants her cats back and she doesn't feel comfortable using a courier service to bring them down to England and she said I am the only one she trusts with her cats so I agreed to drive them down and stay with her for a few days. I have cats myself and they can't bear to be in the car for 10 mins let alone 4 hours so I'm just looking for some tips on how I can make the car ride as easy as possible for her cats. They will be in their pet carriers for the journey. My bf is driving, would it be best if I sat in the back with them do you think?

Carnation
28-02-16, 11:52
I do this often with my cat when we go on holiday, our cat comes too. :)

I make sure there is something like a little blanket in the base so he can feel comfortable, maybe something familiar so they feel the comfort of home.
I sit in the front, but have the openings of the carrier facing forward so that I can see him and I talk to him occasionally. I also put the seatbelt through the handle of the carrier. We normally have around a 3 hour journey, so I don't feed him well before we go. We also have an emergency litter tray concealed in a black bag if we run in to an emergency toilet panic, but we haven't used it as yet. We also have the window open ajar so there is fresh air coming in. Maybe a favourite toy as well would be nice. :)

GingerFish
01-03-16, 16:20
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Feeling a bit nervous about the journey as I know cats hate car rides and it'll break my heart hearing them crying and meowing for hours but I know its all for a good reason, to be reunited with their owner again, so I just need to focus on that instead.

Fishmanpa
01-03-16, 21:31
Same here. Our boy doesn't mind traveling at all and we take him with us when we travel (I've been taking him in the truck since he was a baby). I put a litter box in the back seat along with a blanket and some water and he's good. He'll usually sit on either my or my wife's lap, looks out the window or snooze.

If your kitty is really nervous, you could always ask the vet for some kitty xanax ;) My first cat hated the car and when I moved, I gave her the pill and she slept for the entire trip.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
01-03-16, 21:35
Yep, my cat loves it! He's been travelling since a kitten, mind you he's more like a dog; he's a Siberian Forest Cat. :)

debs71
01-03-16, 22:47
My puss Hobo always miaowed almost non-stop when travelling in the car, but I think that was more because he didn't like being in his catty carrier! It was his way of complaining, lol.

I agree with other replies here. I would definitely sit in the back with the pusses, perhaps with the two carriers either side of you with the openings facing you. Often pets just need to see that you are there with them and receive some reassurance - stroke their paw through the cage part, talk to them, etc.

I agree that things from home will help, like their blanket or toys. Maybe some little nibble treats may be good too? x :)

Fishmanpa
01-03-16, 23:32
Yep, my cat loves it! He's been travelling since a kitten, mind you he's more like a dog; he's a Siberian Forest Cat. :)

Wow... what a cool cat! They're beautiful! They're big too. We have a Pixie Bob (17 very solid pounds). A dog in cat clothes :)

Positive thoughts

Carnation
02-03-16, 18:50
They are big Fishmanpa and very heavy. He has short stumping legs and massive paws and an extra finger/claw on each paw. He is my pride and joy. :D
He was also a stray that we think was abandoned by a breeder because he has a slight kink in one of his legs. We love him to bits. :)