PDA

View Full Version : My road to recovery

Traceypo
28-02-16, 22:07
Hi all,
I haven't been on this forum much lately, I'm doing so much better I thought I'd share what I've learnt;
My throat issues have vanished - no lump, no sore throat, no feelings like I'm being strangled, my conclusion is this was anxiety based with some acid reflux irritating my throat.
My severe lung issues - pain in the lung area, still come and go, conclusion is trapped wind as when the pain is there I feel a need to burp.
I'm still here, I've had HA for 8 years now, surely if I had any of the dreadful illnesses I'd convinced myself of having there would be some deterioration by now.
I've been so lucky to have had the same therapist twice, she's been great, so much so she has given me the option of calling her direct if I feel any major anxiety, she'll assess me on phone and if need be get me in for a couple of sessions to remind me what I already know, she's right, the tools to beat this are all in my head, just sometimes I need reminding.
She's also taught me everyone has bad days, if I have a bad day put it in perspective, it's a bad day, it doesn't have to turn into a bad week/month.
Lower my expectations for myself, no-one is anxiety free and a low level of anxiety is healthy.
I went to a new trampoline Park today, usually this would panic me as it's new and it's the unexpected, I didn't give it a second thought and it's only now on reflection I can see my progress.
Finally, I removed myself from here when my anxiety was too high, I love NMP and appreciate every ounce of support I've had from it, however at that point it was not helping me at all, in fact it was hindering me by keeping my anxiety alive.
I'm not at a point of acceptance, there is no magic pill or overnight solution, I have the tools and ability inside of me to help myself. I'm learning to relax, take notice of the world and enjoy experiences.
I've spent too long living my life like I'm dying, guess what, I'm still alive and so happy to admit I WAS WRONG.
8 week clear of a Gp appointment is a huge achievement for me.
Wishing you all luck in your journey, don't be hard on yourself, show yourself compassion.
Xxx

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-16, 10:19
Well done, Tracey!!! :yesyes::yahoo:

Lots of good stuff in there. Lowering expectations is one I can really understand as someone with OCD.

Learning to deal with the blips too. They are soul destroying at first but you learn to manage them better and keep doing things despite them.

Fishmanpa
01-03-16, 12:37
Glad to see this thread is being read!

T-Po... you've come a heck of a long way the last year and you should be proud of what you've accomplished. There's a lot of wisdom and common sense in your post that many here could benefit from.

Keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts

Elen
01-03-16, 13:22
What a fantastic thread, thank you so much for posting.

You should be very proud of yourself and all you have achieved.

Traceypo
01-03-16, 16:08
Thanks all, I think I've been looking at anxiety all wrong for many years, I've wanted to live anxiety free, I now realise that's unrealistic. What I need to do is learn how to reduce my catastrophic thinking and my hypothetical thoughts and learn to cope with the anxiety and stress that's left over.
What I missed out of the original post was laughter, I'm learning to laugh at myself and my anxiety, strange but nothing seems too scary when you're laughing.
Xx

Fishmanpa
01-03-16, 17:59
Thanks all, I think I've been looking at anxiety all wrong for many years, I've wanted to live anxiety free, I now realise that's unrealistic. What I need to do is learn how to reduce my catastrophic thinking and my hypothetical thoughts and learn to cope with the anxiety and stress that's left over. What I missed out of the original post was laughter, I'm learning to laugh at myself and my anxiety, strange but nothing seems too scary when you're laughing.Xx

Welcome to what I call the "New Normal" :)

Positive thoughts

Mozie
02-03-16, 01:34
Well done glad to hear you doing better

There's prbly alot of others on this site should read your post as alot dont understand it's actual us or our mind that creates anxiety amd only us that can fix it yes medication can Help ease it but if we keep dwelling on those thoughts and worrys we just feed it even more

Yes let them thoughts in but don't react to them, I learnt alot about anxiety by reading a.coyple of very good books by an actual ex sufferer of anxiety for many years which I believe anyone suffering should read as it all,makes very good sense and alot of what he says is spot on

I'm in a bit of a rut at the minute but I'm working on that if I knew then what u know now I prbly wouldn't be in this rut but now I know I can do the things i need to get back on the right track and hopefully get well again

Traceypo
06-05-16, 22:30
Further update, 18 days smoke free, feel great, have lots more energy and I'm starting couch to 5k tomorrow, done lots of walking in preparation for it.
I'm eating more due to not smoking but if I can counteract that with exercise (previously done none), then hopefully weight gain will be minimal.
I still have the odd negative thought, but I feel so much more in control of them, I wake up with energy now, find myself singing, appreciating things more and generally less stressed.
I'm accepting that I can control certain elements of my life, I can make an effort to improve my prospects with my health, there's no guarantees but I'd far rather say I tried than to be my own self fulfilling prophecy on a road of self destruction.
Anxiety is most definitely a journey and one thing it's taught me is that I'm a fighter, I might analyse too much, lose my way a little but I always fight back, I might not always win, but each battle is a learning curve for me.
Xxx

Shazamataz
06-05-16, 22:41
So good to read posts like this. I am struggling badly and this gives me hope. Well done!

Mugs
06-05-16, 22:45
Well done����

Fishmanpa
06-05-16, 23:48
"Anxiety is most definitely a journey and one thing it's taught me is that I'm a fighter, I might analyse too much, lose my way a little but I always fight back, I might not always win, but each battle is a learning curve for me."

Good stuff right there T-Po! :yesyes:

That's going on the "positive Thoughts" thread ;)

Positive thoughts

Traceypo
07-05-16, 12:34
Thank you, I'm in a really good place at the moment because I'm finally helping myself get better and feel more in control of my life.
Xxx