PDA

View Full Version : laughter and OCD

skylight2007
02-03-07, 09:38
:D hiya all, just a quickie!!

As a rule I have been very good at cutting down on my checking the knobs on the cooker, but yesterday I was feeling a bit down, nothing serious but the situation just played on my mind, anyway I know when I feel any slight anxiety I want to check, so I began from left to right, counting each knob 5 times, my lovely daughter comes in , she goes in the bathroom, in my head, she's disturbing me!!! big sigh, have to start again!!!!!, thinking I can hurry along the counting, before she comes out of the bathroom, agitates me even more as I need to have silence and concentrate, lets face it, its a hard job concentrating, hahahhhaa :D anyway out she comes and I got knob 5, turned to look at her, she stops, and simply says, ' mum oh look you forgot one'!!!!

Well I burst out laughing cause as she said it she had this cheeky grin on her face!!!!!
I remember telling the doc this awhile ago , and she said laughter is a good way helping to ease the anxiety I have and also her way of trying to understand my ocd by making light of it. and you know funny how it often works, I just walked away!!!

love skylight

Linnea
04-03-07, 23:55
Not beacause I have it. I will probably be concerned about it affecting them in a bad way that I have it, but I don't think that they have a very much greater chance of having it. Of course I don't wish them to have it since it is indeed horrible :P
Hopefully I will be well before I decide to have children. I am only nineteen so it won't be in a while yet :P

honeybee
05-03-07, 11:29
i think kids learn from behaviours.. i'd be too scared to have kids now incase they picked up my behavious (being scared of most things, for example), i'm a really nervous passenger in a car and im sure its from being in the car with my mum when i was a child and i picked up her behaviours of being scared. although kids are tough little cookies, maybe they wouldn't, i dunno

kate
09-03-07, 16:04
I voted yes. My Mom had mental health prob's and my daughter has OCD.

I'm 100% sure that it is learnt behaviour BUT I also think that you are also born with a genetic tendancy towards it especially as my son has no problems whatsoever.

Kate

Piglet
18-05-07, 13:31
Yes Kate I would agree wholeheartedly with that - I think it can be a balance of learnt behaviours and predispositions and what life experiences you have to deal with that all go into the mix!!

Piglet :flowers: