PDA

View Full Version : B-12 Deficiency and Anxiety

the_anxious_mind
01-03-16, 03:34
Okay folks.. Any experiences with B-12 deficiency (I am aware of Vitamin D deficiencies correlating) and anxiety? My new OBGYN (midwife actually) takes a more holistic approach to things and has discovered that my last blood work (a year ago) showed a major B-12 deficiency. This was never addressed. :huh: So, for the last year I have had major anxiety, some depression, but most of all what felt to be these real physical symptoms that everyone told me was all in my head. I have spells of weakness, fatigue, dizziness, etc and it triggers my anxiety. But, I had been told so many times that it was anxiety that I just started believing it was only anxiety. So I have this constant feeling of out of control and sickness. Note that all other blood counts have come back perfect in the past and in recent. (Separate bloodwork was ordered just Saturday for the vitamins and the hormones.)

So this year, when I visited the new midwife, for a yearly pap and general checkup, I mentioned that I wanted my blood work done again and checked for a hormonal imbalance again. She looked at my blood work from last year and mentioned that I was showing deficiencies in Vitamin B-12. She also could not believe that someone hadn't tied the deficiency to the anxiety or the physical symptoms I had been experiencing... So anyways, possibly a breakthrough for me. I am praying that by addressing it I will find some relief in what I have been dealing with the past few years.

Mainly, I want to know if any of you have had experience with this and if any of you have ever had a B-12 shot? I am not exactly scared of it, as I feel like a pin cushion lately with all of the blood work, but I am mostly afraid that it will make my heart race or I will feel wild, as a lot of people say it gives them tons of energy. I also want to know if any of you have found relief in having the shots or taking the supplements! Any experiences are welcomed!! Thanks for reading :)

Chocolateface
01-03-16, 05:55
When I am anaemic I get the physical symptoms you have described tired, wek dizzy etc then after a course of iron tablets I feel better. My anxiety is also worse when my iron is low and low iron can make anxiety worse.

I know someone who has b12 injections and this person has never said about feeling hyper after them just a feeling of returning to normal and energy levels like they should be.

Hope you get on ok with it

Clare

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-16, 10:52
This sounds promising for you. I hope it turns out to be correctable so you can leave the anxiety behind.

On the subject of taking the shot, remember how you were so worried about taking your SSRI? You powered right through all that and came out very proud of yourself!

Oosh
01-03-16, 12:59
I've had a b12 shot, instant glowing healthy skin. I don't remember any unpleasantness at all.

the_anxious_mind
01-03-16, 14:47
Thank you all for responding to this!! I'm trying to get into to the doctor but of course I am having issues getting a doctor to "put in an order". So now that I had prepared myself I'm having to wait until 11:30. Ah well! Wish me luck and good vibes!

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

This sounds promising for you. I hope it turns out to be correctable so you can leave the anxiety behind.

On the subject of taking the shot, remember how you were so worried about taking your SSRI? You powered right through all that and came out very proud of yourself!

So true!!! Thanks! :hugs: which, will update my diary, they are wanting to change the meds now that I'm comfortable. :huh:

the_anxious_mind
02-03-16, 03:24
Alright folks! I just walked up in there and got my shot today! And didn't pass out or freak out!! I was a nervous wreck but I did it! My doctor has recommended 1 per month, for the next 4 months. I will keep everyone updated as I can. Definitely feel a surge of energy it seems! xx:hugs:Thank you all!

MyNameIsTerry
02-03-16, 04:43
Well done! :yesyes::yahoo:

I think you need to remember these events and use them as evidence against any future doubts about meds.

Feeling full of energy when you are not used to it can be quite activating with anxiety, so that's another win as you could have worried about how you felt and started it all off but you didn't!

You will handle the meds change. Is it a switch to another SSRI or something or an increased dosage?

Chocolateface
02-03-16, 06:02
Yay well done, hope it makes you feel better

Shazamataz
02-03-16, 08:36
I thought I had all my issues sorted when I checked some blood results in November which showed my B12 was low, but not low enough statistically. I did some research and it said anything under 400 (I think) was considered low and that the medical profession needs to change the guidelines.

Anyways, I was put on daily injections for a week then weekly after that. Initially I thought it helped, but didn't seem to long term and maybe I just had a placebo effect. I am quite medically complicated as have autoimmune issues so it not helping me doesn't mean it won;t help you!

The nurse showed me how to do the injections myself so I could do it at home. It's not the easiest thing but sure saves time and money and the hassle of getting to appoinments!

Low B12 DOES cause anxiety so hopefully this will be a great solution for you :)