PDA

View Full Version : Terrified I have Diabetes

Panicpro
01-03-16, 10:47
Hi everyone,

I've had a huge bout of health anxiety the last couple months and I've completely convinced myself I have diabetes. I had endless blood testing in April-August last year, would that have pick it up?
I have some frightening symptoms...

Skin colour changes under arms
Swelling hands (had for years)
Leg cramps (feels like growing pains)
Irritability
Tiredness
Back pain in kidneys
Floaters in eyes (had for years)
Dry mouth
Numb toes
Confusion
Forgetfulness
Chest pains
Itchy skin around groin (sorry tmi I know just not sure if it's related)
Burning skin
Pins and needles

I know many of these can be caused by anxiety and most of these only happen on occasions when I am anxious, but it still frightens the life out of me. I'm 16, relatively healthy, maybe slightly overweight but truly not by much. I pee, drink and eat normally and I haven't lost any weight so that's a good sign right? Gosh I'm so terrified. I am getting my blood sugar tested tomorrow and I am praying so much.

mgw
01-03-16, 19:35
Hey,

Just wanted to say that I went through the same as you on more than one occasion.

I got convinced I had it, and to me, appeared to have all the symptoms. A lot like the ones you mention. I don't have diabetes.

I've had my blood tested regularly for this due to my fear about it and all times have been fine. I presume the blood tests you had would pick it up, however as I don't know what you were tested for I can't give you a definite answer. Just keep on remembering that anxiety can do this, health anxiety can mimic the symptoms of other illness and manifest in your mind to convince that you have that illness.

Hopefully the blood test will put your mind at ease xx

Panicpro
02-03-16, 03:22
Hey,

Just wanted to say that I went through the same as you on more than one occasion.

I got convinced I had it, and to me, appeared to have all the symptoms. A lot like the ones you mention. I don't have diabetes.

I've had my blood tested regularly for this due to my fear about it and all times have been fine. I presume the blood tests you had would pick it up, however as I don't know what you were tested for I can't give you a definite answer. Just keep on remembering that anxiety can do this, health anxiety can mimic the symptoms of other illness and manifest in your mind to convince that you have that illness.

Hopefully the blood test will put your mind at ease xx

Thankyou very much for your reply, I had my blood sugar tested and it was 6.5/mmol which the pharmacist said was neither high nor low. Apparently 6.5 is high though, so Im doing my best to stay calm. I was very, very anxious when I took the test, perhaps that could have affected it. I had it done 5 hours after I had eaten. Going to the doctor next week to talk it through but I hope it is nothing sinister.:unsure:

mgw
02-03-16, 10:34
Hey, that's great news!

A fasted test is usually not eating or drinking anything for 12 hours (I think?), so I really don't think 6.5 is anything to worry about. When I was in university my house mate got diagnosed with diabetes and her blood sugar level was over 20.

Keep positive and listen to the pharmacist! I'm sure they are better trained and have more of an insight than google does!

Panicpro
05-03-16, 02:18
Hey, that's great news!

A fasted test is usually not eating or drinking anything for 12 hours (I think?), so I really don't think 6.5 is anything to worry about. When I was in university my house mate got diagnosed with diabetes and her blood sugar level was over 20.

Keep positive and listen to the pharmacist! I'm sure they are better trained and have more of an insight than google does!

Thankyou very much for your reassurance, it truly does help. I've managed to stay off of google for the past couple of days, although with health anxiety, if I'm not worried about one illness, I'm just worrying about another!
Thankyou again!!! :)