PDA

View Full Version : Hard, big lump in the cartilage of a rib

androidz
01-03-16, 20:30
Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a hard bony bump at the spot where my 6th-7th ribs join the sternum in my right side, basically here:

http://puu.sh/nrhFa/827e6188fc.png

I went to the doc to get it checked out, he felt it easily and said it felt like inflammation of the cartilage. He sent me to get an ultrasound tomorrow. Has anyone ever developed a mass like this, and what was it?

androidz
02-03-16, 18:46
It seems nobody is familiar with this, that's unfortunate.

So, today I had the ultrasound. Things are getting interesting now. It's inconclusive, no abnormalities found in the cartilage. Sent for a CT scan of the whole area.

The possibilities I've heard from both the ultrasound doc and my doc were "Tietze, possible micro-fracture in the rib (???), postural, and "other things that are rare and I'd rather not mention to you"", which I obviously know what they mean, the big C word.

I know, I know, it's not that until they tell you it's that. Fortunately st john's wort and omega 3 are making me see things as positive as I can. Hope it's just a lil' scare in the end, otherwise I would sadly become one of the "young exceptions". At least I'm happy the docs finally were able to feel the bump and decided to study it, instead of attributing it to anxiety. Will keep you updated.

Bakebeansrule
02-03-16, 19:20
Hi, I don't have any experience here but I remember you helping me when I first posted on here about my rib pain. I hope everything works out for you.

androidz
02-03-16, 19:26
Hi, I don't have any experience here but I remember you helping me when I first posted on here about my rib pain. I hope everything works out for you.

Hey, I remember you, how are you doing now?

I'm sure it will, it's just annoying to have to go to so many different places and get so many tests done, I was hoping it'd be enough with the ultrasound. I'm a very lazy person :).

Bakebeansrule
02-03-16, 19:56
I'm ok I think lol I'm going through a bit of a wobble at the moment but trying to tell myself it's in my head.

Look at it this way, the sooner you get your tests the sooner you'll be better.

PanchoGoz
02-03-16, 20:32
I went to the doctors with a painful lump, he said that I had a prominent "something" rib (can't remember the name of it) and the nerve running over it was prone to getting inflamed. Slightly different to your issue though

androidz
09-03-16, 13:47
Update here: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181271