PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal when going off the pill?

lreed89
01-03-16, 21:56
I went on the birth control pill when I was 16 because I had irregular periods. I went off for about 6 months in 2012 and don't recall have any symptoms other than acne, but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.

I am now 26 and my husband and I would like to start trying to conceive soon. My doctor wanted me to go off of the pill and have three normal cycles before we ditch the condoms. I finished January's pills and had a period. My doctor had switched me from my regular pill to a "low" hormone pill and I experienced bloating, cramping, and back pain during this period, which I normally don't have. I made an appointment with my doctor just in case it wasn't due to the change in birth control.

In the meantime, without thinking, I started my February pack. I took 2-3 pills before discontinuing use. Three days later, I bled moderately heavy for a day and then spotted for a day or two before the bleeding stopped. I experienced some sharp pains in my pelvic area one day (middle of low abdomen), but it didn't last long at all. Random sensations in that area on and off for several days, but it seemed to move around and was relatively mild.

Two days later, I saw my doctor. He did blood work, a pelvic exam, cervical swab, and checked me for chlamydia and gonorrhea for some reason. Everything came back normal and he said it was likely a combination of going off birth control and my IBS.

Yesterday, 16 days after I started bleeding for the second time in February, I had some moderate lower right quadrant pain. It got worse when I moved around and lasted all day. When I woke up today, it was gone. However, I was oddly tired for a lot of the day and now I'm having some mild inner thigh pain only when I walk around.

I did have excessive discharge a couple of times since going off birth control, but no odd colors or smells and it didn't last very long. I've been diagnosed with IBS-C for about a year and I've had some minor bloating/gas/constipation issues, as usual, during this time. Nothing that seems different from before, but I thought I'd mention it. Also some soreness in my right breast, but I've had much worse breast pain in the past that was deemed normal. No pain during intercourse or trouble eating.

I had two family members on my dad's side that died of ovarian cancer, but they were both diagnosed late in life. My maternal grandmother had breast cancer, but it was post-menopausal. My maternal aunt died of cervical cancer in her 40s, but it was due to HPV and I had the gardasil injections and have had only one sexual partner.

I have awful health anxiety and I'm worried about ovarian cancer. I'm trying to take comfort in knowing my doctor didn't think it was anything serious and he's a pretty cautious guy, but my anxiety is acting up anyway.

I've been on birth control so long that I don't know what aches and pains and symptoms are normal during a woman's cycle and which aren't. Should I be concerned or should I just wait it out and see what happens?